What's the most peculiar request a guest has made?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's the most peculiar request a guest has made?

Liv_0-1628853937407.png

Hey everyone,

One of the things I enjoy the most about the Community is being able to read funny anecdotes about your hosting experiences, and I know I’m not the only one.

Learning Hosting tips and tricks from other members is a huge help, but I’m sure knowing you’re not alone when dealing with odd situations can’t hurt either 😉

With that in mind, what was the most peculiar request you’ve received from a guest? How did you handle it? 👀

Thanks,

Liv

21 Replies 21
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

Guest: One of the neighbors threatened me because my dog keeps trying to get into their condo.

Host: WHAT DOG?

Guest: I found a puppy on the street. I assumed that it was OK to keep it.

Host: You assumed wrong. Read the guest manual. It says “NO PETS.”

Guest: I guess I can try to find another home for it….

Host: Find another home for yourself while you are at it. You are three months behind on the rent.

Guest: What am I supposed to do with it?

Host: There is a dog rescue place in Boquete.

Guest: I don’t have a car. Can I borrow yours?

Host: Apparently you have mistaken me for someone who gives a $hit. No!

His solution was to lock the dog in the laundry room until it destroyed the door, then in the bathroom.

When he moved out two weeks later the whole place reeked like a sewer and there was dog poop three feet up the walls in several places. It took three days to clean up and the whole condo had to be repainted.

@Brian2036  3 months behind on rent? Is that a guest or a squatter?

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Anonymous 

I think he might have been trying to claim ownership through adverse possession.

The question is, in Panama, how do you evict a gringo from a gringo condo compound?

Answer: you don’t, unless your wife is a retired Panamanian immigration agent who has mean friends.

@Brian2036  Those do-gooder 1st worlders in 3rd world countries who "rescue" dogs they see on the street are ubiquitous here in Mexico.

What they are unaware of is that people don't pamper and coddle their dogs here, they are usually allowed to wander around free all day, but show up back at their home when they get hungry.  The puppy they "rescued", likely belongs to someone who's upset because their dog is missing. Some kid might be crying over their missing puppy.

When these bleeding heart do-gooders post on expat Mexico forums, saying they "found" a dog, that they can't keep it and does anyone want to adopt it, they are right away responded to by those who have lived in this culture for a long time- "Unless you found the dog injured, starving, or it seemed freaked out and disoriented as if it was lost, take it back to where you found it-  you stole someone's dog".

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 :

The same situation exists in Panama. That had already been explained to this perpetually drunken jackass but he was sure that this clean, healthy well-fed about-to-become-huge hound was abandoned.

Anyway I’m glad they’re both gone and so are the other condo residents. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

In this case it’s more like “incredibly presumptuous” rather “peculiar.”

Guest: Could you rip out the combination tub/shower and replace it with a walk-in shower?

Host: NO.  ( I already replaced two toilets and installed grab bars all over the place.)

Guest: Why not? I’ll never use the tub.

Host: Because there’s nothing wrong with that tub, most people consider it an asset, and I would have to completely remodel the bathroom.

Guest: I don’t feel safe climbing into the tub.

Host: Then use the other bathroom. It has a walk-in shower.

Guest: I don’t want to walk that far. (20 feet.)

Host: I’m not going to rip out the bathtub.

Guest: I don’t think I can live there anymore.

Host: Neither do I.

@Brian2036  😮 I am speechless...

@Liv   A previous, lively discussion on the matter:   https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Do-you-provide/td-p/1424951

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Liv 

Just today, we had a guest check out.  We always meet our guests on arrival and outgoing.  Our guest took a huge fancy to the fire poker at the fire pit.  Solid Brass with an Eagle Head.  Wanted it so bad, even offered to pay for it.

Yup, ok take it no charge, it's at least 20 years old and we picked it up "curbside shopping".  Now replaced with a similar one that my relatives found last year at a garage sale.

Lol😊

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

Guest, can you change the light in the bathroom because if i stretch my arms in the air i can touch it, i said nothing but me thinks well stop swinging from the light.Lol 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

----The group of 6 people checked in ---

The guest: Can we get 1 additional bath towel?

Me: Every one of you got the set of 2 towels for 2 nights, what kind of towel do you need and why?

The guest: (nervous) For hands! One towel for hands so all of us can use it together

???

--- The guest in late March---

The guest: we can't find A/C remote

Me: There isn't one, we don't offer A/C in March. Why do you need it?

The guest: It is too hot inside, we need to cool the room.

Me: Please go to the thermostat, turn off the heating first and then open the window, it's 16 C outside 😄

The guest: Oh! We can open the window?

Me:  daaaa !? 😄

--- Guest in May---

The guest is calling at 9 PM: Can we get A/C it's hot!

Me: No, we provide AC only in summer, but you can open the window, the weather is ideal,  it is 21 C outside and it's dropping as the sun goes down. ( it was 15 C during the night)

The guest: This is unbelievable!

( We got a bad review 😄 )

I wonder if Airbnb would be willing to administer a brief quiz to potential guests. It could include such items as:

What is the first thing you would do if you feel extremely hot?

a) Take off your fur coat

b) Turn off the heat 

c) Turn on the air conditioner 

d) Call the host and demand a refund

What would you do if, after checking in, you decide you don’t really like everything about the house you rented?

a) Read the entire listing for the first time and look for possible inaccuracies so you can demand a refund 

b) Call Airbnb and lie about the host 

c) Claim you have COVID-19 symptoms and leave 

d) Trash the house, take pictures, and claim that it was like that when you moved in 

e) Try to enjoy your vacation, thank the host politely, and privately resolve to pay a little more next time.

@Brian2036 oooh fun topic! ABB Guest Quiz! Let's write one.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Liv this topic is right up my street! SO many to choose from....

I had the guest who wanted us to give him an introduction to a local mechanic. He was en route when he asked about a place to have an oil change. I googled some nearby chains who do it quickly. He responded "no, I was wondering if you know a mechanic nearby and can introduce me." I said "no, unfortunately not. We take our car to the dealership as its under warranty. Are you having trouble? I can ask the neighbors who they recommend." Guest said "no, I am going to be the best man in a wedding. I just wanted to get an oil change from someone who you trust."  So, he obviously has places to be. But he needs to get an oil change first. From someone that a total stranger trusts in an area nowhere near the place he actually lives. Still scratching my head on that one.

We had a guest request that we paint the upstairs bedroom her favorite color and provided the specific type of paint and shade name. I thought she was kidding. She wasn't. It would make her "really happy" if she came back. She stayed with us for 2 nights....

We had a guest request the neighbor take down their political yard signs during the election because they found them offensive.

We had a guest call us frantic when their cat got outside and beg us hysterically to help look for it. We did. Found the cat. They never even bothered to review us.

We had a guest ask if our place was haunted because its old. I said "not that I can tell." They dinged us on the overall score with the feedback "was expecting more of a haunted stay."