What's your preferred guest check-in and check-out window?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's your preferred guest check-in and check-out window?

guest checkin_checkout 2.0.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well today!

Being an Airbnb host, you'll have guests booking with you very often, and this made me wonder at what time you let your guests check-in and check-out? 

Do you have a preferred check-in/check-out window? Maybe you have special instructions for your guests? Or is there perhaps something you would do differently next time you host guests? 

I'm looking forward to your replies!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

18 Replies 18
Lori83
Level 5
Omaha, NE

My quoted check in time is 3P and check out time is 10A.  That said, I let my guests know I have some flexibility in both to accomodate their travel needs.  I use an electronic lock and can adjust the times as needed to accomodate my guests within reason.

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

It takes me 3 hours to clean each unit. So check -out is noon and check-in is 3. If there is no same-day turnover I send a message to my guests that they can come as early as 9 or stay as late as 5, and they always appreciate the little bonus. On the few occasions I've had both units turn in one day I have managed to politely find out who may be leavingearlier or coming later than the posted times and plan accordingly. Only once did I need a second person to help me be ready on time.

Oh, also, I have a keypad and delete old and enter new codes as part of my 3-hour prep. I am not usually there when guests arrive, though I offer to all my guests that I will be there if they prefer. I leave the front light on and one in the front room and run to the dump before they close at 4!

Recently, I've had issues with guests abusing check-in/check-out times and would be grateful for the collective wisdom of this group. I've set my check-in at 3pm-10pm or beyond and check-out at 11am. I've found these windows typical when I travel and have never had a problem complying myself.

My unit tends to be continually booked, so same-day turnover is not unusual. I often get requests to alter check-in/check-out times, and when I can, I do. When I can't be flexible, I let the guest know prior to arrival and am happy to allow them to stow their luggage.

My question to the group is, this: Even given all these practices, would you give a guest a bad review/a "no" recommendation if they abuse the policy? Would other hosts want to know about a guest who really pushed the boundaries? Here's an recent example: The guest notified me a few days prior to arrival that their flight arrives at 10am and they'll head up to my place directly from the airport. I respond with,"Our regular check in time is 3pm. We have a guest checking out that morning (11am) so, I am sorry, but I can't accommodate you too much earlier. You are welcome to stow your bags here while the unit is cleaned and I'll try to get you in as soon as possible. Just a FYI, It's equally tight on the back-end, too: Another guest arrives on the day you're leaving." She arrived for check-in promptly at 11am, just minutes after my last guest departed, and the "dropping off bags" turned into him wanting to unpack medicines in the bathroom cabinet, both wanting to change and use the bathroom, fishing for things out of luggage, etc. while I stood there in a dirty apartment. It was embarrassing and uncomfortable. At departure time, even though I reminded her that the time was firm and that I had other guests coming that day, they were an hour late to leave. So rude, but otherwise they were nice guests. 

Thoughts on the review?