What should I do if the guest untruthfully accuse me of surveillance?

Tina457
Level 2
Renton, WA

What should I do if the guest untruthfully accuse me of surveillance?

This is my second month since I joined the Airbnb. There was a guest only reserve for one day. They lied they were here for a church conference, but we found out through the Ring of the outside, they had parked 7 cars at the yard and loud music at the night. After reported to the Airbnb at night, Airbnd canceled the listing and asked them to leave. After they left, we found out the house not only full of garbages but have a very strong smoke smell like marijuana. 

The guest then gave a very bad and untruthful review claimed we had cameras all over and felt they didn't have privacy.  This is very frustrating and discouraged us since we are new and don't know how heavy the review will affect us. We will be appreciated if you can tell me how should we do for the next or if this will greatly affect our listing.  Thank you

7 Replies 7
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Bleh.

One problem with Airbnb is that if you cancel or claim against a guest then they are likely to leave a retaliatory review. Not a lot you can do - you might be able to relist the property to get rid of it, over time it will get pushed down by other reviews.

Nina416
Level 5
New Orleans, LA

Whenever there is a situation like this, you can request Airbnb to remove the bad review.....especially since you had proof of the incident.  Don't be discouraged about continued bookings.  You will always have guests that simply want to get over and will leave you a bad review when you catch them in the act.  I had a guest do that to me recently.  I gave the guest a basic but favorable review.....although she was horrible......but she turned around and gave me a bad review.  That was so horrible.  I took the high road and she WENT THERE!  So, I had to respond again with the actual accounts of what transpired.  #crazyguests!

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Tina457 I read that guest's review on your profile, as well as your response and I can tell what they said is definitely bogus so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As you get more reviews, that review will be pushed down. However since you don't have many reviews yet and it may be affecting your average rating you can consider just make a new listing for it. Future guests will only see the bad review on your profile but not the listing itself and it just looks like a new and improved listing. Try fighting this review to get deleted if you can though!

I would also update your listing description to not advertise that you are not on the property and a whole 20 minutes away. I am always paranoid about guests throwing parties because my house is in a collegetown area. I don't even live there anymore because I stay with my boyfriend but I do not advertise this to guests. I state to guests that I use the basement as a studio for art (which is sometimes but rarely true) and that I am in and out of the property. I also have a security camera in the kitchen shared space, which I disclose in my listing description and remind guests of when they book. This is all just a deterrent so I don't get guests who are trying to take advantage of their host. I once reminded a guest that ther booking would have a guest in the other room as well as cameras downstairs and they canceled right away! I wonder what headache that could been...phew. I know you state you have a ring camera in your policy section, but that shows up at the bottom of your listing under reviews, which unfortunately most people don't even look at so I would include this in the description area as well. However, my listings are private rooms with shared common spaces and I understand you prefer to advertise this listing as a whole private house but I would consider how to best do this while deterring bad potential guests. Good luck and so sorry that you had to go through this ordeal. 

Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

Hi @Tina457, you have a lovely home. I'm sure you'll have many more happy guests that do jot abuse your hospitality. 

I had a look at your listing. To avoid accusations of surveillance and espionage, just be clear in your listing that you have a Ring doorbell video, and any other cameras that may exist. Add this in the write up about the space, and repeat it under 'Other Things to Note'. Of course, most guests won't read it, but it definitely helps when you take your case to Airbnb if you need to go to mediation. I'd word it as something like 'for guest safety,  and to prevent/deter crime, we have a Ring doorbell video system fitted, which covers xx part of building and garden, and the front door'

And I agree with @TracieandJason0, make it seem like you're around the property more, for instance to tend the garden or something where you can be seen, but are not intrusive.

Lizzy14
Level 2
Delft, NL

some guest are not the nicest and cause more grief than what you expect as you od your best as a host t make sure guest are happy and have a good stay.

I have 2 spaces in my family home. I had a guest stay for one night and used it as a place to do drugs. They were up all night howling and making some weird noises, they left late and when I went in I found my place a mess and a glass pipe. I  told them if I see them on our security cameras (outside our house) that I will call the police. I then reported them to airbnb and left a truth full review. I have now been shut down from airbnb and no one will tell me why? I have probably had over 1,000 people stay in my suites and now just like that I am off airbnb? Are we not allowed to report drug use when I don't allow people to even smoke in the space?? Was it because I go through a legit company to monitor the surrounding areas of our house? I have a Vivent home security cameras signs all over our property. I am so upset I lost my business due to trying to help the next host not get the same kind of experience I had with this man.

Airbnb suspends listings if there's drug usage in your home. That's what they do.