What should a host supply for long-term rental?

Answered!
Liesl6
Level 2
Denver, CO

What should a host supply for long-term rental?

I supply everything a guest will need during their stay (usually a week or less) - TP, dishwashing detergent, laundry, trash bags, shampoo, lotions... even leave new toothbrush and deodorant if a guest left home without one.

I have a renter in for a month and left 2 TP rolls in every bathroom, 2 paper towels in kitchen, new sponge, 2 dishwasher pods, soap bars in bathrooms in 1 extra kitchen trash bag; enough to get them started.

Should I supply all of that for the renter over the 1 month stay? He contacted me inquiring if I do the resupplies. *I am a pet free property and let them bring a dog and did not charge the extra. I do not feel like I should pay for their laundry/dishwash detergent, paper supplies etc. when I am covering the HOA, mortgage, internet, water heating, etc.

Am I being cheep or is he expecting too much?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Liesl6   

Whether short term or long term (no more than 28 days), my guests are always advised that they will receive starter supplies and further supplies would need to be purchased.  However, I find it interesting that my starter supplies really only refer to TP and paper towels (one wrapped roll on the dispenser, two in the cupboard).  I leave the container of dishwasher pods under the kitchen sink, along with the big roll of trash bags for the kitchen can.  I leave the laundry detergent (small bottle good for 25 washings) for the washer and the box of dryer sheets.  The hand soap and dishwashing dispensers are topped off for each rental.  Household cleaner and the mop, broom and vacuum are in the closet. 

I have never had a guest call at midnight looking for TP, but I have had guests clear out the cabinets of every household product, including the salt and pepper shakers, sweetener and creamer packets.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

We leave you items to get started. You are expected to resupply the items you require for the remainder of your stay. We do not resupply.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liesl6  This is something a host needs to decide on before accepting long term bookings. And write it up in the listing description. A host who has a high-end pricey property may choose to provide for the entire stay, but there's no reason to do so if it means your profit margin will be slim.

I don't take more than 2 week bookings myself, but hosts who do take longer term often just provide a starter pack, enough for a few days or a week. The crucial thing is to make the terms clear to a guest before their booking is confirmed, not end up in a conflict about it afterwards.

Guests can't expect anything beyond what the host offers, but the host needs to make the conditions clear at the outset.

Paul7222
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Hi @Liesl6. I think it really depends on how you wish to position your rental in your local marketplace.  I think you have a great looking property with lots of good reviews!

In my local market, I chose to position my suite a little more on the high end when it comes to furnishings, accessories and also amenities.  I wanted to stand out a little bit more amongst the local competition.  And, as such, I have been at nearly full occupancy since opening.  I do long-term stays only.

I do include starter items, such as olive oil, salt n pepper, coffee, tea, and even some rice and pasta.  In addition, I include shower soap, dish soap, dishwasher tabs, laundry soap, shampoo and conditioner, toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, swifter dusters and household cleaners -- all of which I replenish!

I always try to put myself in the shoes of a guest ... would I be annoyed that I have to go out and buy toilet paper part way through my stay?  Probably yup!

My experience has been that my guests really appreciate all the extras, feel they have received very good value for the rates I charge and also leave great reviews.  Also, they have taken great care of the space. 

But, once again, you need to decide how you wish to position yourself and also whether or not your rate can support the extras. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Liesl6 yet another reason that offering long term stays on ABB blurs the line between "guest" and "tenant."

We used to be landlords and had a furnished apartment we rented long term. We provided furniture and things like cushions on the sofa, rugs, decor items. We did not provide toothpaste, shampoo, or toilet paper. We did not change lightbulbs when they burnt out or re-supply firelogs for the fireplace. Tenants stayed, upheld the terms of their leases and only asked us to fix major issues in the space (leaks, AC/heat, plumbing etc etc). If they broke the lease or were problematic, we had recourse. 

As ABB hosts, we provide all of the above and then some. Our guests expect to have the place decked out for a vacation stay. They ask a lot more questions than our tenants including things like where to eat and what to do. They can threaten a bad rating or withholding the final payment for a stay if their expectations are not met no matter how unreasonable those expectations may be. 

So if you decide to host long term know that legally you are probably a landlord but you are being held to the host standard by ABB. Where is the line? Do you need to resupply all the little touches to keep the place fresh for a long stay? Offer cleaning service? Will you be okay with hearing from the guests daily for months? What happens if they don't leave or do damage when you don't have a lease? What about mail being delivered or your place being used for purposes other than advertised?

I would just say no to LTR myself. 

Amen to that. @Laura2592 

Will you be okay with hearing from the guests daily for months?

Something to seriously consider that I never thought of before the pandemic made us accept LTRs to stay afloat. Also with LTRs I reduce my response time from one hour to a few hours or overnight if not urgent, otherwise I get treated like the “Hey Google”. Before the pandemic I was reluctant to accept two weeks bookings because I found that the 10-14 days are when guests start noticing all the imperfections since they’re really living in it. I get better reviews with short term stays when nobody needed a cupcake pan and measuring spoons. 

The Johnsons
Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

@Liesl6 :

We agree with @Sarah977  and @Lenore22 .  The following statement is sent to any LTR guests:

LONG-TERM RENTAL NOTICE:  Since you are staying for 7 days or more, please be aware of the following conditions.

This is followed by detailed paragraphs that we provide initial  consumable items, but guests are responsible for replenishing those items as well as cleaning the rental and taking out garbage/recycling.  However, we do replace sheets and towels as desired on a weekly basis.

No guests are allowed to book longer than 25 days (due to possible legal issues).  Establishing expectations before guests check-in allows everyone to have a issue-free reservation.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

I don't think that you're being cheap or expecting too much, @Liesl6 . A starter pack is sufficient unless you want to re-supply. 

@Flavia202  The issue for Liesl right now, as I see it, is that the guest is already in residence and the terms of what she will provide for a long term stay wasn't worked out when the guest booked. So the guest had one expectation, which is quite legitimate based on what she says she provides in her ad, and now she wants to not honor that because it doesn't seem fair to her.

I look at this the same way as a host forgetting to update their pricing for a holiday weekend. Trying to charge the guest more after they booked isn't ethical, or even allowed. The host just has to eat it and consider it a lesson to keep their calendar up to date. 

On this particular booking I'd say she should just provide what she normally does, within reason (just because the guest wants to do laundry every day doesn't mean they get 7 laundry pods a week- one or two would be reasonable), and make sure to put wording in her listing ad regarding amenities for longer term stays going forward.

If this current guest is upset about the normal things not being provided, which it sounds like he is (and could legitimately expect as nothing was said otherwise when he first asked to book) , it wouldn't be worth a bad review to save $20-$30. 

If it was a different kind of guest, who said "Oh, I totally understand, I got a good deal for a month stay, I wouldn't expect you to provide for my everyday needs for the whole time", that would be a different story.

Ok,  @Sarah977. I get it. Omission benefits the guest, and a wise host will avoid majoring in the minor and not sweat the 'small' stuff.

@Liesl6   I don't feel that Airbnb is optimized for long-term bookings in general and can't recommend them, but I agree with others that it's best to be upfront before confirming a booking about what is included and what isn't.

Another angle:  if you've applied a discount for weekly or monthly stays instead of defaulting to the nightly price, consider what that discount could be considered a trade-off for. Long-term guests who expect to be re-supplied consumables during their stay might think differently if that meant reverting to the base nightly rate. Who would spend an extra $500 to get more toilet paper?

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

How great would that be. No. I mention starter supplies in the check-in instructions with the closest supermarket and hours. 

The Johnsons
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Liesl6   

Whether short term or long term (no more than 28 days), my guests are always advised that they will receive starter supplies and further supplies would need to be purchased.  However, I find it interesting that my starter supplies really only refer to TP and paper towels (one wrapped roll on the dispenser, two in the cupboard).  I leave the container of dishwasher pods under the kitchen sink, along with the big roll of trash bags for the kitchen can.  I leave the laundry detergent (small bottle good for 25 washings) for the washer and the box of dryer sheets.  The hand soap and dishwashing dispensers are topped off for each rental.  Household cleaner and the mop, broom and vacuum are in the closet. 

I have never had a guest call at midnight looking for TP, but I have had guests clear out the cabinets of every household product, including the salt and pepper shakers, sweetener and creamer packets.

Did you charge them for taking the supplies that they did not use while they were there? Should we?