What should you include in your listing title?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What should you include in your listing title?

Listing title.jpg

Hello everyone,

Along with the main photo, the title of your listing is the first thing that guests see when searching for somewhere to stay. It’s therefore really important to make sure it puts your home in the best light and attracts guests to click on it and find out more!

What do you think should be included in the listing title? Many listings have similar titles that include the type of property and where it’s close to e.g. Charming studio close to city center, how can you make yours stand out? Feel free to share your listing title and explain why you chose it!

Looking forward to seeing your tips!

Thanks,

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

83 Replies 83
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You make many valid points there, @Emily352, and yes, you have just a few, almost Tindr-esqe, moments to get that click (or like even). That said (and this in no way reflects your choice not to have a photo, @Emily352), a picture (of the host and listing) paints a thousand words!

I totally agree with you, Gordon (sorry, I can't tag you). A familiar face or a picture is essentially an extra guarantee.

An image conveys emotions that are stronger than what words can do. No blurry photo shoots. Yes photos with members of your family in order to convey a protected, welcoming atmosphere that should distinguish you from a hotel.

The right image determines that a prospective “client” may or may not choose you. Probably not all the description of your ad will be read, but at least the guest will surely look at the first (high resolution) picture.

And when he has to decide which house to rent, he will certainly not think of the one with the supermarket 300 feet away, but the one with the inlaid doors or the fancy tiles or the roofgarden with a telescope.

But the title remains your business card, and it will be the title to be “captured” in search engines. It must contain all useful information including the location and the type of accommodation. You can also insert the name of the university or its acronym in the title to be “captured” in search engines or save letters with abbreviations (Lrg / Sml / Cls to etc.).

The success in this field lies – and I say this partly in response to @Quincy - in the opening sentence of the ad. It should be fair, accurate and of high quality. It should draw the guest's attention, inspire confidence and invite him to book.

It’s difficult to write a good title. It should be simple. No distractions. Clarity, synthesis and completeness. It is important to find the right keywords.

The tourists that come to see Piccadilly Circus and the Tower of London and are looking for a spacious room in the central area, will enter “Spacious room in Central London” into search engines.

A number of results is being proposed, many of the links have a high ranking, following a indexation or because it has been decided to pay for that position (pay per click).

The tourist will focus on the first research results. He will probably go through the entire first page or maybe he will look for something on page two or three, but he’ll hardly go further.

On AIRBNB several factors affect the determination of search results: the quality of the ad (photos and reviews), the hosting experience, the ease of booking (quick response), the guests' preferences.

Whereas in the past you focused your attention on the product, today the focus shifted from the product to the end user: the guest is placed in the heart of hosting.

To misquote John Fitzgerald Kennedy: “Ask not what the guest can do for you; ask what you can do for the guest”.

At this point it’s easy to understand that to succeed in this business it’s necessary that the satisfaction of customers  is beyond their expectations.

The question then becomes, “In what way?”. Simply by offering more than they expect.

Love this!! Thank you for sharing!!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Emily184, it's good to see you around. I really like your style and poetic way of describing things! Have you found that using the title descriptions (as you have mentioned) successful on your own home? 

-----

I used to use "clean" but then I wondered if I was wasting words: doesn't "clean" go without saying? 

Esther359
Level 4
Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

Thanks for the tips! its really helpful. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's an interesting question, @Quincy, and like Paul I've tried to sum up my offering (Super-private/double-deluxe/own bath/London W4). Whereas Paul hasn't gone for the post code, I get a fair few bookings from people working at Chiswick Business Park (of the same post code).

The 'Private' bit is often reflected in my reviews and the word cloud I created illustrated this.

Still open to feedback and ideas tho! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's very smart of you to add the first piece of your postcode @Gordon0. The amount of business travellers booking with you tells enough :-).

-----

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Hi @Quincy, interesting topic. I thought that it is important to highlight the basics. So I put Room with breakfast for 1-2 guests. Good. But people are surprised with breakfast... Im thinking to change it to Secret garden:) At least for spring:)

The most important thing is not to put lies. When I see in titles of my neighbors “central” or “close to the center” I start crying on their location rating:( 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

"Secret garden" sounds very mysterious @Yulianna0—I like it! When creating a title you must be accurate with distances indeed. 

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good topic, Quincy

From my point of view, title should include the main motives that makes a guest booking the listing! It must be real instead of fancy.

I do not believe that "fancy titles" has the power to make most of the potential guests visit a listing or even book a listing. Only  few naive ones would book based on a fancy title.

I think that the major factor for most of the guests is location, secondly certainly the price. If location and price do, them they go ahead and visit the listing to see photos and details.

The title can also be improved along the time, by reading the reviews and understanding the motives that make the guests  book a listing. If the host is sensitive to the reviews and feedback, he can tailor the title (and also the description of the listing) to attract the right guests.

I do not like to use adjectives such as "beautiful, cozy" and whatsoever. It is up to the guests to see if what they see in the pics do or not. Adjectives can create false expectations.  

I also think that "title" is a controvertial matter. Just my point of view.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @J-Renato0, thanks for sharing this! I really enjoy reading how different everyone is when creating titles for their homes. 

-----

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Well @Quincy, I’ve gone for some good old use of alliteration, as there are far too many competitors in my city. Peaceful private area: pool and palms

All of which is true! It is obviously in the suburbs and not the city.... noting the descriptors, its style and map location.

The space is private (entire guest suite) with private entrances and a whole secured driveway to park vehicles. The garden also makes it feel private. The pool also is leafy and feels private, and the property has many palm trees! 🌴🌴🌴 creating a peaceful feel. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds very inviting @Cathie19! 🌴

-----

Kanani2
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

I hate to say this, but the city I live in has a lot of crime. Most times, people coming to visit, conference, or work for a few months will swing by Reddit, or some other board, where all the locals talk about is crime: How cars are routinely broken into, thefts, car jackings, murders --you name it, it's what locals talk about. The other thing they love to talk about is how ineffective the police are, or perhaps someone goes on a riff about the homeless walking the streets. Given that many people come away with this strange impression, their first concern is security.  So the first word is "Secure."  As in, your car isn't going to get jacked because there's a garage, we have solar and regular motion lights outside, an alarm system, an electronic lock, and well, a security cam that faces toward the street. I know, it sounds like overkill, but having all of it is pretty common here.

So that it doesn't seem like the AirBnB hosts are Walter and Skyler White, or Jesse Pinkman, I chose other words to counterbalance it: "Secure, stylish, southwestern flair in Albuquerque."  Flair?  Yup, I could have put townhouse, or house, but flair just seemed to roll.  Now, if I really wanted it to roll, I suppose I could just buy a Bounder, and say, "Secure, rolling, lab on wheels with kitchen in ABQ."images.jpg