What should you include in your listing title?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What should you include in your listing title?

Listing title.jpg

Hello everyone,

Along with the main photo, the title of your listing is the first thing that guests see when searching for somewhere to stay. It’s therefore really important to make sure it puts your home in the best light and attracts guests to click on it and find out more!

What do you think should be included in the listing title? Many listings have similar titles that include the type of property and where it’s close to e.g. Charming studio close to city center, how can you make yours stand out? Feel free to share your listing title and explain why you chose it!

Looking forward to seeing your tips!

Thanks,

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

83 Replies 83
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kanani2, I think you chose the right words for your listing title in this case! Haha, love the pic from Breaking Bad! ;-). 

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Quincy@Kanani2@Cathie19@J-Renato0@Yulianna0 and @everyone-else

I chose the title Central to All Home and Location as that's exactly what it is.

Unfortunately Airbnb have yet to allow people to use assorted keywords to search for places, only geographical terms.

Ahh and @Qunicy, I recently went to rearrange my photos to the other lamb photo in my listing I have and it wouldn't allow me to do so because, One is not permitted to use "portrait" photos on one's title page. still laughing about that a one!!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427

I hope you're well. 

There are still lots of things to be improved on the website indeed and I trust that at one point the system will work for everyone! 

-----

Theodore29
Level 2
Athens, Greece

There should be a balance between informational title and a marketing one.

A long title that tries to describe everything is difficult to remember and maybe come back to it after scrolling tens of results.

I tend to suggest to the people I  co-host with to choose a personal name/brand (Marina villa for example) along with one characteristic (view?) and the size of the room/apartment in sqm or equivalent.

Branding is important and should be consistent if you have your listing on other platforms.

Size is also important since you usually get a huge room/house compared to a hotel room. People should be able to tell the difference immediately.

hope this helps

Theodore

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Quincy, everyone has made very valid points, especially the tips concerning seasonal titles. I think it's important to highlight the home's strengths, particularly as related to the region.

As such, I highlight that my place is a cabin in the woods as well as pointing out the region's two main draws - mountain views and star gazing, as the area is an International Dark Skies Community.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I definitely agree with that @John1391! I did not know you were living in such a special area! Please do feel free to share some pictures some time ;-). Here in London city center, there's no chance of seeing clear skies as there is a lot of light pollution! 

-----

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Great information from all the great hosts!  Never thought to change the title seasonally, but my other season has temperature up to 120 degrees F, so I rarely have summer guests :D.  Thanks @Quincy

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Whoa, 120F?!?! @Linda108

-----

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy Bedroom, Private Shower, Living Room & Breakfast. That's the title and I think it covers two major selling points, ie the fact that the shower room is not shared and that I provide breakfast.  My major photo is of a double bed so I don't have to say that it is a double room and I mention several times in my description that there is a small private living room/study.  I have often wondered whether I should replace "Living Room" with "Study" as it uses less characters.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel0

Good point! I hadn't thought of that before. Two of my listings mention 'double room' in the titles, so maybe I should take that out and use the characters for something else. 

I think I have to leave in room though as some guests don't seem to get that they are booking a room, not the whole house!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I initially dropped the ‘double’ from my listing only to get loads of ‘what bed size?’ questions from (mainly American) would-be guests.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel0 Don’t you think you might be missing a trick not to include your post code, what with the businesses around there, or do you think this is captured by the initial search? Genuinely interested to know. 

Also, an opinion only, don’t you think that de-capping titles makes for an easier read?

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 The trouble is that I am in W5, whereas all the major businesses are up in Park Royal, which although only a short drive away, is a totally different post code.  However, that's a good point and I am going to add that I am close to that area to my listing.  Come to think of it, I'm not that far from Chiswick Business Park either!  I do already get quite a lot of guests who come for work purposes, but more wouldn't hurt.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Quincy, I did put some thought into what to call my two listings.

I call our bedroom-in-the-house listing the excruciatingly honest "Our spare room". This is on purpose. I don't mind the option being up for people passing through, but I don't want the title to be too attractive, as we are rural, non-touristy, have limited wifi, few amenities. 

So I am saying that if you don't want people to come, call your place "Our spare room". 

If you want lots and lots of people to come, call your place "River Treehouse". You'll be beating them off with a stick 🙂

I love the honesty!  I like that you are not overmarketing.  I still think you could add to your title... "Our spare room. Limited wifi + few amenities".  LOL!  Maybe there is a clever marketing here.  

Seriously though... I imagine you could look through your guest review and find a theme.  Guests are usually the best at seeing the beauty of your space and appreciating the unique features you offer.