What standard amenities are expected with a room?

What standard amenities are expected with a room?

We list a private room and bath along with a self serve breakfast in the kitchen with food we provide. A recent guest complained that we were not clear about providing refrigerator space and using the kitchen for cooking their own meals. They were on a unique diet. We made refrigerator space, but told them cooking is not allowed and use of the kitchen was limited to breakfeast.

Are there some basic expectations about use of; kitchen, living room, grill, washer/dryer, etc. that we need to say are not avaialble? Most have asked in advance and we comply on a case by case basis. We just don't want to mislead anyone.

10 Replies 10
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

As long as you are clear in the decription of what areas and activities can be done in the house you can do what you like. Many places offer the kitchen as a place to heat only, not cook. Some offer a laundry, some not. No expectations but do be clear!

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I looked at your listing, which looks lovely and with great reviews. However, I think the part about the kitchen and laundry could be clearer. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth:

You have kitchen crossed out in amenities, but mention that guests can use kitchen. I understand that you are probably referring just to breakfast but it doesn't seem as clear as it could be. It is nice that you allow access to excess garden produce, but this would also make me think that I can use the kitchen. You may want to state that kitchen can only be used to access items that are provided for breakfast.

We started allowing kitchen use, but when it became more than we were comfortable with we state that it is only available for light cooking with prior approval and removed it from amenities.

Regarding, laundry; if you don't want people to do laundry (we don't, but have made an occasional exception for a week long stay), you will want to mark it out on amenities.

Regarding your inital question, I think what you provide is completely up to you beyond the obvious (towels, sheets, etc), as long as it is clear in the listing.

Hope this is helpful.

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

Keith and Barbara, you do not require offering breakfast and many hosts do not offer breakfast and it does not affect their booking.

I suggest to keep it simple, no breakfast offer and light use of the kitchen only, use of the microwave for heating, use of the toaster, making sandwiches and no use of the stove and oven this will save potential conflicts with guests. Whatever you decide to offer or put restrictions on need to be written clearly and written also in the house rules if possible. Other than that you are the king and the queen of your castle and you will make the rules.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Keith-and-Barbara0

My experience is to note restrictions usually need to be stated several times since guests' selective perception in the excitement of beautiful pictures generally misses such things.

I'd add under "Guest Access" : limited kitchen use for preparing snacks, breakfast,?lunch? Cooking meals not possible.

And then in another area you could repeat something about it.

Thanks Andrea, I realize that, but that approach leads to listing many negative things and ammieties offered are already covered when we list a room with Airbnb. The thing is, the filter option is not prominent on their webstie and guests have unique expectations.

For that particular case, I sent a them a note suggesting that they use the "filter" next time. Their response was that they had discoverered that after their visit with us. We got a 3 star rating for accuracy, which was unwarrented. 

My bigger question was what do people expect of a "room"? Airbnb description is not very descriptive, so how are people to know, expecially new comers who have not discovered the "filter" option, what they can expect?

Sandy173
Level 2
Lemoore, CA

We have a new listing and have provided a small frig and microwave in the "private room". I did not list the kitchen or breakfast as an amenity, but stated that special accomodations could be made on an individual basis. I really don't see this as a problem for overnight guests, but would certainly entertain the idea of kitchen use for someone staying several days. I won't provide food, but will provide coffee, tea, disposable utensils, etc. in the room.

@Keith-and-Barbara0

I also host a private room & bath in my home. I mention several times in my description and in my house rules, and I usually repeat myself during the initial conversation with the guest to make sure there is no misunderstanding about MY expecations about kitchen/washer use by guests. I have a shelf in the fridge for Airbnb guests. I allow use of the microwave, toaster, electric kettle. IF guests want to cook I allow light cooking where prep+cooking time is under 30 mins (single serving of pasta, salad, sandwich, eggs or omlette) no oven use or deep frying allowed. And they absolutely have to clean up after themselves. I provide coffee and teas, no food or meals. Washer is available to guests staying more than 1 week, 1 load per week. 

There will always be people who don't do THEIR job and not properly read the descriptions, then blame the host. So my approach is I make it so that the guest can't say "It wasn't clear" and try to blame me. It's a bother but it's worth it because the guests who complain I have too many rules or were thinking they can get me to make an exception end up not booking with me 🙂 or rather, I tend to tell these types to move on and keep looking.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I allow my guests to use my kitchen and they have all been respectful and cleaned up after themselves, but I know all hosts have not had this experience.  Some guests end up cooking for themselves and some never do. Personally I prefer to offer use of the kitchen, because I don't want them having food in the bedroom (I live in the tropics and it attracts ants and so on) And it has led to some nice shared meal experiences, but I realize all hosts may not want that type of interaction with their guests. One guy came home with a kilo of shrimp, we peeled them together , I donated the butter and garlic, he cooked them and we had a feast!

Some guests may have dietary ssues and need to cook for themselves rather than eat out, but in that case, the onus should be on them to ask you about kitchen use in their inquiry or booking request. If you don't want them to use the kitchen that much, they might do well to look further for a booking where they can.

You need to do whatever you feel comfortable with and just make it clear in your description as well as in your messaging with guests.

I don't offer use of my washing machine, mainly because I don't have a huge, consistent supply of water, but if I am doing a load, I'll ask my guest if they have any small items they'd like to throw in. They always appreciate that and usually come up with a couple pairs of socks, some underwear, etc.

Eadaoin1
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I currently have guests using my kitchen for 2.5 hours. So annoying - completely overusing and frying meat - the smell. 

I will just take use of kitchen off altogether. 

I never had this challenge before. 

@Eadaoin1  So this has never happened before and you are going to eliminate kitchen use because of one set of guests? That sounds a bit extreme.

Have you talked to them about it? It's crucial in a home-share listing to have open lines of communication with guests, not just grit your teeth and fume silently if they are doing something that disturbs you. Offering use of your kitchen does not require that you put up with guests monopolizing it, but neither is it fair to expect guests to realize they are doing something that disturbs you if you don't make that known.

I had a lovely guest who cooked a lot. She always cleaned up after herself, no problems. She had gotten a bad review from a past host, saying she and her boyfriend had "overused" the kitchen. But the host offered full kitchen use in her listing. 

My guest said to me, "I don't understand why she didn't say something at the time. If she felt we were taking over her kitchen, and we were making it difficult for her to prepare her own meals, why didn't she tell us that? We try to be respectful home-share guests. We would have been totally amenable to a kitchen schedule that worked for her so she wouldn't feel disturbed. Instead it appears she was silently resenting us the whole time and then slammed us in the review".

Talk to your guests!