What technology do you use to help you host?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What technology do you use to help you host?

Hosting technology.png

Hi all!

As our world becomes more and more technology-focused, it would be great to see which systems or apps you find useful in your hosting. Maybe you use a great smart lock system or a lock box, or you've found an app that helps you stay on top of the tasks you need to do when hosting?

I discovered an app not too long ago that makes it really easy to divide bills between housemates/friends/partners - this might be really useful if you co-host or co-own a listing and you need to divide up your outgoings!

I'm looking forward to hearing what you use and your technology ideas 🙂

Kirstie

47 Replies 47
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

To help me manage my listings and the requirements and wishes of each guest, breakfast requests and checkin/out times in our 2 rooms I use what is probably 19th century technology - a week to a page diary and a pencil!

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Victoria57 

You can't go wrong with paper and a pencil can you? If it works why change it I guess! At least then there's no risk of their breakfast requests disappearing into the ether... 😉

me too 🙂

I found this template online and I has really help me track all of my revenue and expenses

https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=1vLBfeav42qnFAssg3wzf0Lwgy-f9wNaHbKUeKjRXXpE&mode=public...

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Dario-and-Dalyla0 that's a pretty complex spreadsheet! I'm sure it really helps you keep on track with your finances though! Thanks for sharing.

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

I share with my guests google location of the best place to visit and see in my area.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Eight-tip-for-great-guests-review-It-really-works/m-p/241944#M...

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing the link @Blagoje0! It's seems like a good excuse to rediscover your own area for the benefit of your guests 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

A conventional paper diary which covers the financial year, can add all expenses, income, everything in one paper solution. I have year after year all kept, and absolutely nothing on computer because they fail more often than my diary.

I am probably a bit of a luddite as I don't even have a smartphone, just the most minimal of technology for a more stressfree life.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I think that's perfectly reasonable @Sandra126! I do sometimes worry about how reliant we are on technology - it seems that if the internet crashes for a long period we would all be completley lost (apart from you)! 

if the internet crashes, airbnb is gone.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

Schlange camalot door lock -  no key and delete codes after guest leaves. very simple with very electronic moving parts, battery lasts a year. 3 months use no issues

nest smoke/carbon monoxide detector

- battery operated constant checks any issues come to your smart phone. 

Sinope thermostas- we have electric baseboards its the only thermostat i can see temp in each room and set a maximum valie for heat and turn down if needed via smartphone. 

Insteon lighting and door open monitor entry and am able turn lights on/off from anywhere as its a second home via smartphone

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You seem very tech-savvy @Gary-And-Rose0! I'm impressed. These sound like great bits of kit to make hosting life easier. Thanks for sharing!

Jerome30
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

They are pretty bad this handles really, and it destroyed your door compare to a retro fit door handle like the Locksis

Lisa36
Level 5
Australia

I have a Windows phone but alas no Airbnb app, actually hardly any apps of any description,  but I can easily sync my calendar and contacts etc to my windows laptop so I have to do most of my Airbnb work on my laptop which is fine really.  I also have a keyless entry - I love that I can program codes which expire and give my guests a code so they can check in at any time!  Apart from that I have no other technology to help me with Airbnb.  I would buy a cleaning robot when they become affordable!