What technology do you use to help you host?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What technology do you use to help you host?

Hosting technology.png

Hi all!

As our world becomes more and more technology-focused, it would be great to see which systems or apps you find useful in your hosting. Maybe you use a great smart lock system or a lock box, or you've found an app that helps you stay on top of the tasks you need to do when hosting?

I discovered an app not too long ago that makes it really easy to divide bills between housemates/friends/partners - this might be really useful if you co-host or co-own a listing and you need to divide up your outgoings!

I'm looking forward to hearing what you use and your technology ideas 🙂

Kirstie

47 Replies 47
Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

9 out of 10 times, I am able to check in my guests myself. The 10th time I will see them at night and sit down with them to have the "introductory meeting" ;). Part of that is sharing information on things to do and places to go. There are several free apps that discuss activities and sightsin Amsterdam, including maps. I encourage my guests to download these and use them.

In addition, the local public transport operator has built a very simple and easy to use app with time tables, departure and arrival information and information on detours and disruptions.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Bob43,

Those sound like great apps to make your guests' stay easier! Thanks for sharing.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

I just added a nest camera at my front door. It triggers a text if anyone goes in my front yard. More because were not at the home often. It has two way comunication and i can talk or hear if any issues opening front door. 

Nest thermostat for fireplace so i can turn it on and warm house before guests arrive. This all interconnects with camera and nest thermostats and smoke detector. If it detects smoke it immediately shuts off fireplace and starts recording on the camera. 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Gary-And-Rose0

I like how your thermostats link with the fireplace, smoke detector and cameras! Good safety precaution.

Anthony127
Level 2
Llandudno, United Kingdom

Hi. This is my first posting.

i have a lock box for my guests in case I'm not able to greet them.

i put the last four digits of there mob as the code, safer than having the same one all the time. 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Anthony127,

Welcome to the Community Center! It's great to see you here.

That's a great way to make sure your guests don't forget their code! It's also a good safety precaution to change the code each time.

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Hello everyone 🙂

To help me hosting I use the following modern technologies:

A vacuum-cleaner. Much faster than with a broom.

A washing machine helps with the massive amount of linen to be washed. Also the washboard was getting a bit worn.

My guests also appreciate the electric kettles in the room much more than having to heat their water in the fireplace.

And when not home on arrival of guests I use the SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN for them to get the key. Works every time.

All jokes aside! I use the app for Android and the webpage of Airbnb. However I am used to living in a high technology society and the techonolgy used by Airbnb is severly flawed and should have a COMPLETE makeover. I am amazed that such a big company has such a poor system.

I am wondering about a lock-box or a digital door opener. But they are still very expensive here.

Othere than that I find that analog communictions directly with my guest is the simplest and most appreaciated way of interactions.

Mariann 🙂

(PS: The sensistive content thing was my doing... 😉 😄 )

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mariann4,

We are so used to vacuums, washing machines and electric kettles, it didn't even occur to me that they count as modern technologies!  Good shout. Thank you for reminding us how difficult hosting would have been 100 years ago without these electronic items!

Kirstie 

P.s. I don't get your joke... I think it may require too much lateral thinking for me 😉

@Kirstie
I think of it as an internal joke between the active members of the forums. Everytime we, or especially new Airbnbs, try to communicate something which contains a weblink or looks like an e-mail or phonenumber the site blurrs it and state <SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN>. Even when we just want someone to use the search-engine we all know that starts with a G (can't write it I will get censored...). Or you want to give access to the local buscompany and its apps. Which are necesseray some places.

Then, when I was about to reveal my secret key-delivering system, I of course had to hide it. Since it is actually a secret. Not like G**** and the other things that are official 🙂

Mariann 🙂

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mariann4 Thanks for clarifying! I see... I believe the 'Sensitive Contents Hidden' block is only on the Airbnb site messaging servoce - here we have **bleep**s for swearing! 

Jerome30
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Locksis door handle

It's a locksis door handle. Seriously perfect for the airbnb room!

I'm using it everywhere, only $300

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jerome30,

This looks interesting - could you maybe explain to us how it works?

Kirstie

Jerome30
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hi,
You remove your handle from the door you want to secure then place this digital handle into it, it's retro fit.

Then you setup a Master password that you make sure to remember, (you can replace it at anytime).

You setup a user password between 2 to 10 digits using the numbers 0 1 2 3 4 5.

You can activate or deativate the noise of when you touch a number, same with the LED light but better keep it ON.

When you receive a guest you tell them the user password that you preset and tell them how to replace it if they which, by pressing from inside the door a small button under the handle then entering twice the new user password. No need to know the previous user password to replace the user password.

The master password still the same so you can always open the door.

The batteriesare on the inside door handle so no one can play with your nerves  by removing the batteries. When the batteries are low the handle start to make a sort of christmass sound when you open the door. 

If it's totally flat you still can open the door using a 9V battery on the external handle as their is two small connector for that purpose.

Battery is about 18 months. I'm using my handle since 3 years, never had any issue, it's amazing.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow thanks for all the info @Jerome30! That sounds like a useful lock system.

Ivan110
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

To manage our 14 listings, team of cleaners and change prices in one place for all of our accounts,  we use a software which called AirGMS [link removed]

Before that, we did it through the Google Spreadsheet, but it was a real headache with these crazy huge tabs, comments, etc.