What the heck happened in my house?

Marcos131
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

What the heck happened in my house?

69145A0E-35EE-40DA-8847-19EBAECE8189.jpeg6379C767-3AA1-4ECE-9358-BDC0055C0707.jpegSo, about 4 nights ago we had our first snow in Minnesota. That same night, at 10:30pm, I get an instant booking from a woman looking for a place for her and her “brother.”

When I look at this woman’s reviews, I was shocked. Mostly bad reviews, people accusing her of being messy, being a poor communicator, and even of theft. I didn’t know at the time that if I feared for my Airbnb that I could cancel on a guest without being penalized. So I was scared of what was gonna happen, and didn’t cancel. They arrived a few minutes later, I had the keys in a lockbox at the Airbnb, so I just texted her the password of the day.

Next morning she asked me if she can stay a couple extra hours because “her flight got delayed.” I told her no, said I was sorry, and said I had to come clean at 11am.

When I walked in the house, the first thing I see is that my blankets had been screwed to the freaking wall to cover the windows. Upstairs and by the laundry area in the basement (see photos attached). They also used one of my comforters to cover the couch. I also know they smoked cigarettes inside and outside because I found cigarette buts outside and ash inside.

By the way, they were still there when I arrived. There were at least 3 people who had 2 cars. I was terrified of even asking what happened.

What the heck happened in there? We obviously have shades in our living room, why would they screw blankets to cover the windows? It’s just so sketchy that to me it’s obvious something illegal went down, I just don’t know what. So I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.1B268F6D-3DA8-4E04-89A0-680D215A9E94.png60905C4F-DF95-418B-8DBB-3691908C3186.pngB5AA8149-F74B-4AF8-86D9-77FAAD10C1F1.png4CB9E04D-0FE9-4658-8B7A-BDF585B8674E.png

3 Replies 3
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Turn off instant book.

Raise your rates.

Read reviews

Take a deep breath

Learn to say No.

Screwing a blanket othe wall?? That would bother me.

Mark's answers above are the procedures we use. After 70 bookings we have had nothing but great experiences with guests.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I would not turn off IB completely, but set it to only recommended guests and with a day’s notice. You get the option then to still accept same day bookings on a request to book. 

When you review, give her a thimbs down, which prevents her from IB recommended only, and a three star rating or lower in at least one category, which prevents her from booking your place. 

In the message thread, you write, that you were very disappointed to see the extra people and cars on your property and tgat extra guest charges apply (if you have set them) and that you were horrified how they damaged you wall and blankets and left cigarette residue, breaking the no-smoking rule. You will ask for compensation. (This message is for the guest as well as for the case manager, be thorough and mention the blinds)

then you ask for refund for all of that via the resolution center. Write a list and ask for the total. If she does not react or refuses, you click open the request and click to involve airbnb. You may also call them after the message. 

When airbnb is involved, you will need pictures and cost estimates or invoices for the repair and cleaning. They need to be on a letterhead, not necessarily from a company whose main purpose is cleaning or repairing walls. 

Good luck.