What things do you look for as a guest?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What things do you look for as a guest?

Guests.jpg

Hey there everyone,

When we prepare our home for our guests, we try to think of even the smallest detail to ensure everything is perfect. We want our guests to feel comfortable and enjoy listing! So, what happens when the roles reverse and hosts become guests? We also want our trip to be a special and unforgettable experience and where we stay plays a big part.

What are the things that you look for in a listing, when you become a guest?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

80 Replies 80
Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Stephanie  It depends where and why I'm traveling. I have to go to the next biggest city to be able to fly out of Brazil. This often requires a one night stay in Manaus. I've been choosing homes that are new to airbnb and that look like they could use some advice. I make a point of chatting with the hosts at some point and offering suggestions on how they might improve their listing. If I'm traveling for work then I try and book with a super host. Preferably one that is on site, I'm a talker. 🙂

I also need coffee and something to eat in the mornings, it doesn't have to be much I just don't want to go out for my first cup of coffee.  By booking with a super host I don't have to concern myself with the quality of the bed or cleanliness I know those things are going to be good. 

Hi @Beth80,

I'm new to Airbnb and just listed my home. I'm hoping I get guests like you who can give us suggestions and tips on how we can make guests feel at home 🙂 

Hello there, I'm in Whitby, North Yorkshire, UK. Good luck! Xx

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Stephanie, when scrolling through listing photos, I will know within 2 seconds if I want to stay at the place by the look of the bed. Dingy bedding is not for me.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Stephanie First and foremost: cleanliness. Almost anything else is tolerable, but a dirty listing isn't acceptable to me, ever.

Everything else is pretty much negotiable, as long as it's accurately laid out on the listing and it's priced accordingly. I stay places for a variety of reasons, and I (mostly) don't need anything super fancy.

Thoughtful touches are always appreciated, to make it feel like the host cares. I personally don't like it when it looks like everything in the kitchen in the listing is from a jumble sale or stuff that was discarded from elsewhere. I use the kitchen pretty much everywhere I stay, and I want basic, thoughtful tools that work. A friend said that If you ever want to know what kitchen gadgets are a waste of money, just go stay in an Airbnb, because you'll find every useless, discarded tool there. Sadly, often he's right. As a caffiene addict, some way to make a decent cup of coffee is also always very much appreciated, even if it's just a private room listing.

I stayed in an Airbnb last week where the host had set out chocolates on the towels: it was a small gesture, but it just kind of said "we knew you were coming and we thought of you," not just "give us your money and get the heck out".

I wish I could get the perspective guest to ask for what they wanted because I would be glad to provide it...but they are so generic. What they appreciate after they visit is by luck, not by what they requested.  Perhaps Airbnb could create a checklist of 'wants' and 'must haves" that a guest could complete before they arrive.  I have so many items in the kitchen and bath that do ununsed because I have to guess what a guest might want.  Otherwise I assume they selected my home because it met their needs based on the webpage.  Maybe I'm overthinking this...Your thoughts?

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Stephanie- I am a new host, having been at this around 5 months now, but in that time frame, I have discovered thru reading here, that there are really two types of guests looking for a place to stay.  There is the guest who simply wants a good place to sleep and stay while taking care of business elsewhere, be it family business or work.  Then there is the guest who is wanting a real vacation - a place to enjoy and relax at, to sleep or cook in a cool environment or simply a place to enjoy the scenery.  These two types of guests vary widely in what they want in a habitat.  My guests generally come for the scenery - a rustic cabin set beside a small pond with a big field and horses in front.  I have gone all out to appeal to their desires to get a country life experience - comfortable rockers on the front porch, a fire pit, comfortable seating inside, and very rustic cabin decor.  I make sure there are a generous amount of towels, extra bedding, soaps and shampoos.  I don't provide breakfast, but I do provide plenty of snacks in the kitchen and all sorts of cookware and supplies.  This week, I have set out little chocolate bunnies for Easter.  I have had no real complaints, no unhappy guests and a good bit of repeat business, so I feel I must be doing something right.  If I were looking to stay in an Airbnb, I would be seeking the same quality of hosting  because it would be a vacation for me.  I don't mind paying a higher fee for a place that goes the "extra mile." 

I have to add that I've looked at lots and lots of Airbnb's just thru general searches and there seem to be some hosts who don't understand how to make their accommodations inviting enough.  Bare bones accommodations are not enough.  I also try to take safety measures over and beyond what Airbnb suggests, simply because I like to feel reassured that guests will have a safe stay.  In some of the photos I've viewed, I see a lot of safety issues that should be addressed. 

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Stephanie  Airbnb has made it almost impossible to properly vet potential guests.  Even if we were to tell you what it is we are looking for, it would be virtually impossible to find these things out since all Airbnb seems to care about is pushing hosts to accept every reservation that comes their way while taking more and more tools away from us hosts.  Example:  yesterday, I noticed that I can no longer see a guest's individual star rating.   Now if someone requests to book my guesthouse who only has a four-star rating, then I would like to know WHERE this guest is "lacking", so to speak.  It is all part of being able to make an informed decision whether a guest is a good fit or not.   Guest trip information questions, removed.  Photos of guests, removed, etc, etc.  Ok, rant over.  Please forward this to those you report to.  Thanks.  🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>Please forward this to those you report to<<

Apart from purposely missing the point, Ann, this isn't the 1950s and @Stephanie isn't your postbox.  

@Gordon0  what is your problem? Don't like my post? Then just move along and keep your dumb remarks to yourself.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm just a bit bored of people who treat every thread as a personal soapbox on which to complain, @Ann489. And it's a forum, so no, I won't keep my 'dumb' (not the most intelligent word for a grown-up to use) remarks to myself.

@Gordon0  I don't really care what you "are".  This is not your private Facebok feed and I am allowed to voice my opinion.  I wasn't talking to you, so kindly leave me alone. 

They probably removed guest pictures because hosts were biased against people that didn't look like them. Let's face it, America is a society based on race and a fair number of Americans are racist.  

Totally agree - losing the photo is like basically Airbnb 101 - it is our personal space and we should be given way more information  MORE tools not LESS.  This is like rolling the dice and hope you get a good guest.