What things do you look for as a guest?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What things do you look for as a guest?

Guests.jpg

Hey there everyone,

When we prepare our home for our guests, we try to think of even the smallest detail to ensure everything is perfect. We want our guests to feel comfortable and enjoy listing! So, what happens when the roles reverse and hosts become guests? We also want our trip to be a special and unforgettable experience and where we stay plays a big part.

What are the things that you look for in a listing, when you become a guest?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

80 Replies 80

Oh and reliable wifi!! Typically when I stay in Airbnb I am traveling solo and I also work a bit here and there remotely. So entertainment by way of my netflix is critical and so is being able to stay on top of work emails. 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stephanie 

The last time I used Airbnb it was 2 days trip to the small coastal town with my friend and our two dogs. We had a car. So Here is what we needed and wanted

- pet-friendly

- smoking allowed (at least on a balcony or terrace)

- close to the city center

- two beds

- free parking somewhere nearby

-  OK price (not necessarily the cheapest)

From 2 available listings which met all our criteria, we opted for a more comfortable, nicer, bigger and more expensive one although we are not rich and are careful with money.

The price is an important but not crucial factor.

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

I like to see:

a coffeemaker or French press (cafetiere)

Comfortable looking seating

AC if it’s going to be hot

A nice view

That the host had made the effort to create a Guidebook. It shows they care about hosting and are proud of their neighborhood

Neighborhood photos, nearby stores and restaurants

Natural light and airy looking spaces. Not closed curtains and fluorescent lights.

decor and art that is from the place where the Airbnb is located

I don’t like to see:

Air fresheners in the photos. Big turn off. It makes me wonder what odors they are trying to cover

Words on the walls, such as inspirational quotes

Clutter and personal belonging likes shoes, clothing etc in the photos

Bedding that looks like it’s made from synthetic fabrics, or like it needs to be dry cleaned. I wonder how it can be cleaned between every guest

@Stephanie:

In this order:

1. Type of home (I'm not doing Rooms anymore)

2. Location

3. Price

4. Reviews

5. WiFi

Most of my travels are looking for a place to sleep, not for an experience in the home so if they fit this criteria then we're basically happy.

@Stephanie 

I started out as a guest user before becoming a host, and what I look for and want from accomodations would differ very much depending on the purpose of my trip and who I'm travelling with, but one thing in general would be a clean bathroom and clean, comfy-looking bed. 

Everything else such as location or amenities would probably depend on the price, purpose of my trip, and how many nights I am staying 🙂 

When I travel for work, I prefer hotels. When I travel with a group of friends we either book a large family room at a resort or an Airbnb that provides a good mix of private bedrooms to sleep in and common spaces to eat/hang out together. When it's just Henry and me, we prefer places that are NOT kid-friendly and cater to adult guests 🙂 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Well here I am @Stephanie, late to the party again! But I’ve been busy turning my space around for incoming guests... so the Dry Season begins.

Garry and I travel differrent countries, different climates, so therefore different wants.....

But we ALWAYS look 👀 for:

- CLEANLINESS

- SECURITY room/ homestay

- friendliness / professional approach usually shows within the listing, reviews &  commentary 

- Bathrooms = shared or private > the above.

= efficient plumbing

= towelling. [hand towel and floormat if more than one day]

- WIFI.              Unless off the beaten track 

- SUPERHOST &/or great reviews

- COMFORT  depends on length of stay:

= a good bed

= air conditioner or heater if in high weather seasons.

= coathangers if longer stay

- IMAGES        = Something in the interior details, or architecture that catches the eye.

= a willingness to have details visible in listing photos and of all areas.

Bonuses that may sway decisions depending on the country and the  length of stay:

- availability to laundry access

- coffee machine or nearby cafes

- transport > accessibility to public transport

- breakfast or start of day options

- parking > if driving

Patty0
Level 2
Keystone, CO

I was a guest long before I became a host. So in my mind I would always think about what was wonderful and what was not. Then one day I found myself in a lovely garden of a cute bunkalow in a small town between Stroud and Cornwall, England. The retired teacher, my host,  had offered me to join her there in her garden for tea and scones.  Her sweet, affectionate cat immediately made my lap her comfort spot for the next hour as we shared our love for travel, the different flowers in bloom, what made her homemade eats better than store bought and how she loved sharing her home with total strangers. That is when I decided to do exactly what she was doing. In June I will begin my 7th year of hosting and I still love it. 

As so many have already stated, the 3 Cs are a must;  Clean, Comfort and Coffee. I also look at their cancellation policy. My friend once reserved a huge house in Southern California 9 months prior to her arrival. It was for her two daughters and their family to share a beach vacation. Three months later she was diagnosed with a terminal disease. She cancelled her reservation with a 6 month notice and lost 90% of the cost. Airbnb did refund their share. My friend passed before the vacation date, but I know that home was resold for that week and the host received double payment. That has never sat well with me. I do believe Airbnb has new policies now. It was 4 years ago. But it still is raw for me. So I go above and beyond the flexible policy with my place. 

I always want to stay in a place that is nicer than my home, or at least the same. When I travel I like to feel special; soft towels, chocolates, fresh flowers, a small gift and a hug!

Agree with Patty about a reasonable cancelation policy.  Ours is reasonable and if someone has a legit reason to cancel, we will refund all of the money (even if it is a few days before).  Things happen and you have to be flexible in this industry.  I look at pictures and I really like modern decor (not old quilts and old, ugly furniture).  We use duvet covers for all of our beds so that everyone is ensured that they have clean bedding.  The little touches are nice (bottle of wine, chocolates).  I stayed at a beautiful Airbnb recently in Amsterdam and overall it was great.  However, they did not have any full sized towels (a ton of hand sized towels).  That was odd and I still gave a 5 star review becuase the host let us check in early and it was overall great.  When we stayed in one in Paris a few days later, the host provided us with a bottle of wine and chocolates.  The place was small, but inviting and cool decor.  All the space was used wisely.  I don't like sparse decor, but I also don't want too much junk. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Stephanie 

Unlike most guests, I actually like to read a nice description! And I read it ALL! You can almost get a feel for who the host is, when they have written a good description. If the host hasn't taken the time to at least write a little about the space, I move on to the next one. After that:

-Location and price that are appropriate for my needs (vacations I'll spend more, but when I need to stay for another reason, price is more important)

-Private bath!

-For lack of a better phrase, if the room/home looks like my "grandma's house" I usually pass! I like to see that the room and home are not dated or cluttered. It may sound shallow, but decor that matches my taste is important for me to be comfortable!

-Reviews...I like to see a majority of guests raving about their stay Being a host, I'm not put off by one or two negative reviews as I know how guests can be!

-Self or flexible check-in hours.

-This isn't something I can know before booking, but I do like when a host is clear with communication. One host never even sent a reply when I instant booked! Another sent a welcome message after booking, but I had to message her the day of to ask about any check-in instructions. I'm surprised how many hosts aren't clear about letting the guest know what to expect.

I have several ABB reservations booked this year, but the one I'm most looking forward to is with a host who made it clear in her listing that she accepts ALL people regardless of race/religion/sexual orientation/etc. It may sound weird, but I love that she puts that out there and I know we will "jive" during my stay!

I use airbnb a lot when I travel. I want:

--flexible or moderate cancellation

--instant book (I didn't care, but then I had a few that didn't respond or turned me down and then raised price (so it was still available contary to what they said)

--good photos so I get a good idea of what the space is like (straighten the bed and put the toliet lid down for the photos!)

-I usually look for superhost but not always. 

--some use of kitchen or at least fridge. 

I'm like you @Suzanne302, I actually enjoy reading the WHOLE description, inlcuding all the rules.  I also don't like when there is no description and will generally pass it by.  

When someone books our space I always send a welcome message that includes a statement that we will send check-in instructions closer to their arrival and all the house rules to make sure they've seen them.  We'll answer any questions that are asked leading up to their arrival.  Aside from this, we generally don't do any more communication until the day before arrival where we will send the check-in instructions.  I've kinda wondered if we should check in with guests sooner than this, and if so, what do you say?  As a guest, I send a message to the host about a week out from our arrival just to check in and make sure we are still good to go.

@Suzanne302 

Yes! I also like places with looooong~ descriptions, whether I'm staying at an Airbnb or hotel or resort. I read everything and look at all the photos. Henry and I are types who like to know what to expect and what we are getting. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I generally always go for a clutter-free, spotlessly clean property with IB (drawn-out conversations and being vetted aren't my thing). I'm not one for patterned bedding, but this probably has more to do with being able to spot cleanliness issues more easily.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I hope for a comfortable bed, reasonable quiiet & I really would prefer a private bathroom ( exceptions would be made for Huma's space) After our last trip I'm going to add no  scented stuff as in oil diffusers etc. that would be an absolute deal breaker. I'm enchanted & personally validated by the way,  reading Suzanne's comment on inclusivity (sp?) as  I used up precious words while doing my listing description by  putting in  the ""In this House" credo -  I do want people to feel welcome who might worry about getting a cold reception  & I don't want to host haters. We have had mostly superguests and I think that's a big factor in why we have been so fortunate

. I love patterns but our sheets & towels are all snowy white and I wash/swap  the patterned duvets between guests so I hope that the over all sparkling clean is enough to offset any side-eye about the paisley and patterns. Sally

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The photo accompanying this topic is interesting- guests sitting in their street clothes on the clean white bedding- the guy even has his bum on the bed pillows.