What things do you look for as a guest?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What things do you look for as a guest?

Guests.jpg

Hey there everyone,

When we prepare our home for our guests, we try to think of even the smallest detail to ensure everything is perfect. We want our guests to feel comfortable and enjoy listing! So, what happens when the roles reverse and hosts become guests? We also want our trip to be a special and unforgettable experience and where we stay plays a big part.

What are the things that you look for in a listing, when you become a guest?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

80 Replies 80
Bob237
Level 2
Willis, TX

The most important thing to me is a clean and sanitary place. Recently my daughter and granddaughters stayed in an upstairs apartment that my daughter had booked through Airbnb. The stairs swayed as we went up and big pieces of rust were flaking off. There was mold in the walls and the place had an off odor. The carpets and hard floors were so dirty that we did not go without shoes. The sink had toothpaste spit all over it including the faucet and handles. The toilet and bathroom was in disrepair and dirty. The dishes had food on them, egg yolks to be exact and there was open containers of food in the cupboards. It seems every time a renter left something, it stayed. Who knows how long some of this stuff had been  there. The smoke alarms had no batteries in them and the A/C filter was extremely dirty.  The mirrors were all smeary and greasy. There were spider nests in corners and cobwebs as well. The stovetop was a mess of old grease and food particles. On our third of 10 nights there I was going to bake pork chops. When I opened the oven it was caked with dried oven cleaner that had been applied but not removed after a former renter used the oven as a bbq grill. After that we left and went to a hotel. We were getting sick. It's too bad too. The apartment had a good floorplan, but it just was not properly prepared for guests. We had spent our first night there cleaning everything so we could enjoy our stay. But it just was to nasty to stay 10 days.

It takes a lot of effort to keep everything neat and tidy and sanitized for our guests but it is totally worth it! I have a treehouse with a full kitchen and a bath and a half with sleeping for six so it takes a lot of time to do the laundry, remake beds, clean both baths and make sure everything is restocked but I hear the appreciation from my guests and it makes me feel good.

Connie94
Level 3
San Diego, CA

For me it truly depends where I am going, what part of my trip I will be on, and how much time I have. When arriving in Paris (from California) I knew delayed flights were a real possibility, so self check in was my top priority. For the middle part of my trip a washing machine was the top priority, then for my last 4 days, after having a host cancel as my trip was approaching, and having 2 different hosts never respond to my booking request, instant book became the most important feature. I think it's really hard as a guest to wait 24 hours for a host to accept a booking only to never hear from them and have to start the search all over again because my second choice is now gone. That experience gave me a whole new perspective on having instant book turned on.

Given all that, cleanliness is tied for top priority along with the host not having a history of cancelations. Cancelations are surprisingly a real problem in France! I also look for a dedicated rental space, as opposed to somebody's home that they will vacate for a few days while I stay in a pile of all of their clutter. And a private bathroom is crucial. I don't want to be on my way to an appointment and have to wait for somebody taking  a shower.

If I'm staying in an entire apartment, I expect the kitchen to be usable and not just stocked with the host's cast off dishes and scratched up pans. Other amenities are all just nice to haves. I want a clean and comfortable bed and bath. I'm not interested in a host providing breakfast or anything else. 

Tamara382
Level 2
Kingston, Jamaica

I love when the kitchen is neat and well organized. A tv in the room would be a big plus because let’s face it guest aren’t really that familiar with the hosts so to go in the common area to watch tv might feel a a little awkward at times. Provide extra pillows, towels if needed, give guest their space especially if it’s a couple, ensure you have soaps, toothbrush, shampoo etc in case the guest forgets stuff. You can create a welcome basket or something like with snacks it’s makes the guest know that you are thinking about making them comfortable. 

Carole113
Level 1
Liberty, SC

I recently stayed in a hotel in New York that had so many things wrong that it's  hard to know where to begin. The coffee maker didn't work, the hair dryer was dead, there was a problem with the TV due to a frayed electrical cord, and there was no shelf in the bathroom for toothbrushes or paste, makeup, etc, and all the surfaces of the toilet tank lid and sink slanted downward so you could put nothing on them, nor was there a toilet seat lid to lay clothes or shaving kit on. In the tub/shower there was a moldy wooden seat tied to the safety bar which you had to maneuver around to take a shower. 

I am a new host and I am very concerned that the guests do not have to provide anything in their profile when requesting availability. If a guest has no previous stays, they should have to at least state their full name don't you think?