What to do about bad guests?

Penny32
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

What to do about bad guests?

I am a host who recently had a group stay who had many more guests than had booked, partied all night after their wedding, parked numerous cars and a camper van on my property and then wrote a scathing review of my property manager. I am currently trying to get the guests to pay back their deposit. Can the review come down until I have sorted out the despute? 

8 Replies 8
Jackie31
Level 1
Portugal

I just had two guys stay with two dogs I said if you need to leave the dogs for one day I will keep my Eye on them, well they left the dogs ever day and never said anything. One dog was in season and blood was all over the bedding. I wish I had said something in my review but I gave them a good one they gave me not so good. I now have some new rules and will take a deposit, it is a shame really we have two dogs but some people mess it up for others. Next time I will not leave a review if I am not happy. I hope you get the bad review take down.
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jackie31

Unfortunately some guests are just clueless and/or expect inappropriate things from Airbnb accommodations!

But please do write a review for every guest who did not make you happy. These reviews are not to make the guest feel good. They are to warn future hosts as to what to expect. If I decided to go against my gut feeling and accept a guest who didn't have such a good review I as a host will stay absolutely friendly but will automatically be aware that I have to be careful accordingly . Plus I would thus also stress the importance of some things much more than usual. With a guest that has no reviews or only good ones I wouldn't be quite as prepared for trouble mentally.

You see, reviews count!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Penny I am sorry to hear this.

Hopefully you had clear guest rules in place to state that only guests who had booked could stay at the property, that there should be no parties and noise should be kept to a minimum, and evidence of damage/extra guests, so this should be fairly clear cut for BnB.

What did you do when the property manager told you about the additional guests, campervan etc - surely you would have alerted BnB and told the guests to leave immediately?

Anyway....I thought if you didn't write a review theirs couldn't appear for 14 days?

I would get onto BNB straight away, say that this is a malicious review left because you are looking for financial compensation through the guest deposit and also BnB's host guarantee (I presume to cover damage/extra guests etc) and request it is taken down.

Liza14
Level 1
Madison, WI

I have guests that booked 2 people and have at least 5-8 people staying in my house, having loud parties, disturbing the neighbors and the person who booked is not even there.   What can I do? any ideas

Hi community,

I've just encountered a guest [personal information hidden] who ran away after losing our key and left my space at a mess. We now could not get in touch with him at all & have to pay for all the charges relating to lock & key replacement (almost 400 EUR). The last message we got from him was that: "That was the risk you will have as a host" and then he disappeared.

I wondered if you have encountered anything similar like this before. For us, this is a terrible experience & we want to share with you all so that you can be alerted of such guest. Also, AirBnb should really have a solution to protect the host as well.

Hazell0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hey,

im sorry to hear about your experience!! I’m pretty sure Airbnb will cover the expense if you escalate it, they have great insurance and do look out for hosts occasionally!

h

Kylie11
Level 2
South Golden Beach, Australia

I have a similiar potential situation with my guests who have just left. What if they write me a bad review to deflect blame for their own bad behaviour?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

In the very first paragraph of my summary I say "No smoking, pets, parties."

I think it helps to get that point across VERY early! Hopefully rule-ignoring guests will keep browsing for other stays to invade.

I think it also helps to mention that your neighborhood is quiet if in fact is is. That too will signal party planners to move along to other listings. I mention that neighbors on my street all seem to be in bed by 9 or 10 PM. Just another hint to scare off party planners.