What to do about snowy weather?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

What to do about snowy weather?

I'm planning ahead - I have two sets of guests coming Thanksgiving weekend. Snowy, icy weather is being predicted  in the US northeast over all those days, which could make access to my place tricky for some, as we live in a rural area at the end of a long and somewhat steep road.

We are diligent about keeping things sanded and plowed but I could imagine some guests might feel uncomfortable if they're not used to country life.

I'm wondering how best to communicate with my guests ahead of time, and what options I might offer them? I am willing to alter or cancel a reservation with no penalty to them if they felt uncomfortable due to weather, but not sure how to arrange that if my official policy is different than that.

My two questions are -
* How best to communicate with my guests ahead of time regarding my weather/access concerns - and SHOULD I communicate my concerns ahead of time?
* If guests wanted to cancel at the last minute due to weather and I wished to offer a refund contrary to my cancellation policy, how would I do this?

Thank you so much for your input!

Jude

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If we have severe weather then I have contacted Guests, but just a bit of snow no.

They can see where I am and should have some clue what the weather could be.

Usually the issue is people coming from southern States without appropriate tires but that is not a me only issue.

David

Thanks @David126!

I  only live 90 miles from New York City, but you'd be surprised how unprepared city folks are for a place in the country.  I had a guest this summer complain how dark it was!  In my mind, my house is lit up like a Christmas tree  when we have guests staying with us. I guess she wanted lights in the woods too! 😉

Jude

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jude7 we always err on the side of too much communication 

extra refunds seem to be fairly easy to do & seems likely that CS would refund a guest who said snow/ice/weather/a cold prevented them from coming anyway

Happy Holidays!

Thanks @Kelly149. I always err on the side of too much communication too. I would rather my guests feel comfortable than earn a few extra dollars. And I think my concern for my guests comes through in my communications, which is why we've had such delightful hosting experiences. 

I sent a message to CS through Twitter, because I was curious if a guest was entitled to get back their Airbnb fees if they cancelled due to weather concerns.  CS told ME to cancel (!!)  and to then call  CS to explain that *I* had cancelled the reservation due to weather concerns and they would make sure I wasn't penalized for a cancellation. 

We all know the serious reprecussions to a host, especially a Superhost, with regards to cancelling a reservation. Not sure I trust that answer or am willing to risk my standings to be a Good Samaritan. Mind me, I don't consider my area roads to be dangerous during moderate winter weather. I'm just being proactive and compassionate in understanding that some people feel uncomfortable driving on country roads with even a light snow. 

Would YOU trust Airbnb's suggestion to cancel a reservation if weather were a concern?

Jude

Nope @Jude7 i wouldn’t trust that either. i would either tell Guest “roads are fine here, however I’m happy to...” whatever you’d like to do w cancellation fees, full refund, etc. and let them handle it. You aren’t the one who wants out. Either guest or CS need to do it. 

If you’re going to have to call CS anyway then just call them first. 

Repeating for the newbies “A HOST SHOULD NEVER CANCEL”

And btw we found out the hard way that IB hosts DONT have unlimited cancellations. That policy is actually that IB hosts have 3 no questions asked cancellations & then as many cancellations as they convince CS are allowable. 

And @Jude7 maybe you want something in your listing that says what you did above “in winter months you may find road conditions different out here in the country than what you may be used to in more urban areas. We keep up with sand/plowing/whatever it is but keep in mind if .... nervous driver, front wheel drive vehicles, whatever...”

Cause it stinks for you to be prepared for a guest and have them ditch over something normal

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Joke here is that it can snow any month of the year. We had our last in May this year and out first at the end of September.

So for me it would be like saying it could rain, or get hot or cold, just a normal part of living in the Mountains.

I have had people cancel on me due to not very much snow at all, and I have had a Guest make a succesful Extenuating Circumstance claim for a couple of inches of snow on the road, remember it was a gorgeous day, blue skys and a few inches of snow. What do you expect?

Now there have neen occasions when it has been OMG out there and have suggested the Giest avoid this area entirely and have told the Guest that they are best cancelling on an Extenuating Curcumstances basis, did not happen last year but a cost of business to me if it gets that bad.

David