What to do when airbnb deactivates your hosting account - for no reason?

Answered!
Dave192
Level 2
Carbondale, IL

What to do when airbnb deactivates your hosting account - for no reason?

My account was suddenly deactivated today because airbnb "determined that it is in the best interest of Airbnb, and for the users on our site, to deactivate your account permanently."

No warning, no complaints nothing.

I have nothing but 4 and 5 star reviews! I've been a model host for the airbnb community and have been selected as a community speaker to inform the community about how to host a property for airbnb guests.I am at a loss for words. This is unreal, a total and complete shock and the most unprofessional thing that has ever occurred to me in my professional life.

I had just put my house up for rental in September and have already recived over $2,800 in bookings in 6 weeks! Things were going great. Was I making too much? Charging too much? I dont get it.

I had one guest stay Oct 23-25 and he has not left a review. If he called to complain for some reason, would 1 guest complaint be enought to deactivate my account?? Im stunned. 

Is there any way to get answers from airbnb? Who should i contact?
1 Best Answer
Tracy279
Level 2
Emeryville, CA

Dave, did you ever get a response from the Trust and Security team? I'm a Superhost and was just deactivated this week, with vague reason: "for violating the Terms of Agreement" but no specific Term provided.  After piecing together the two cryptic messages I received from "Trust and Security", I figured out that ABB has the right to deactivate any host, even a Superhost, if we:

1. Accept a guest who arrives but who is not the person who booked the reservation ("Third-party Bookings"). This happens more and more on ABB and it puts hosts in a hard situation of telling someone who's just arrived (with their luggage) that we cannot accept them, and that we have to call ABB customer service to have ABB cancel the reservation. Rather than cause a confrontation, I have welcomed them and mostly had no problem, until recently ...

2. A third party guest caused a problem and tried to elevate it to ABB (and youtube), which triggered the "Third-party booker" violation and exposed ABB (and me) to the risks of defamation through social media. Deactivating the listing is their way of minimizing risk exposure.

3. Encourage a guest to contact you or pay outside of ABB. After ABB first temporarily suspended my listing and cancelled two upcoming reservations, the guests messaged me asking how to confirm their reservation (they still want to stay at my property, why punish them?). I replied back assuring them we still had their reservation and to call me. Within 3 days my account was permanently deactived due to "violation of the Terms of Agreement".

Trust and Safety never called to speak to me, only 2 brief email messages informing of deactivation.  Apparently we are presumed guilty until proven innocent, even with a 3 year history and Superhost status. Although ABB prides itself with the quality-control, peer-to-peer review platform, the mass volume of ABB users are now causing all kinds of problems - and if your problem reaches ABB Headquarters, they will deactivate you (and probably the guest account) to simply reduce their risk exposure.

Heading to VRBO.com now...

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49

Did you ever rectify this situation or did you just move to another platform, etc?

Hey Dave I am trying to move to another platform but honestly at this time there isn't one with a similar customer base then airbnb.  It sucks because I,did nothing wrong as far as I know. I've even asked for a reason and wasn't given one.  I thought ok well maybe I said something wrong in my listing so I made a new one and was still unable to list.  

Just really sucks I think the customer service should be Better for situations like this.

that's what they do.  Perhaps it is time the landlords on air b and b get together to hold the company to account for this egregious behavior. 

Alejandro-Hector0
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Hi @Dave192. I feel for you, this is a horrible thing that you are going through. Considering that you are a Super Host It's quite surprising that Airbnb would do this. Here's a run down of questions that I'd like to ask you, maybe it can help get to the bottom of this:

1. I read in the comments that you have not rejected any bookings. Have you cancelled any bookings?
  2. Are you sharing your account with anyone?
  3. How many listings do you have? How many properties do you have here on Airbnb
  4. Have you ever contacted a guest outside Airbnb?
  5. Have you ever agreed to any outside transactions with Airbnb guests?
  6. Has any Airbnb guest showed any signs that they might have felt discriminated against for misunderstandings?
  7. Are there any housing hazards inside your house? (Faulty smoke detectors, unsafe neighborhood, etc)
  8. Do you have any additional Airbnb accounts?

Please keep us updated. I'm sure every host on this thread wants to help you in any way until we can all get this problem solved together.

1 and 2: No.

3. I had 1 active and 1 inactive

4. Yes, but only after confirming the reservation through the airbnb system. After confirmation, airbnb would provide the email and phone number of guests and i would send them a digital guidebook of the house and area via email.

5. No, never

6. No. Ive rented to black, asian and hispanic guests.

7. No, the house is immaculate and was inspected by the city building and fire inspector.

8. No

So it looks like @Dave192's entire profile was deleted, not just his listings.  Something else is going on here. 

Is my profile not viewable? Its viewable and editable to me, but i guess that makes sense thats its not public if they are taking steps to deactivate my account?

@Dave192 nope, your profile doesn't exist when I click on it, I wondered how you were still getting these messages??

mysterious

That is fascinating! I can still see everything...

The Airbnb site and the community site are separate from each other. That's why we have to log in again when we go to the community forum. 

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 5.49.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 5.49.32 PM.png

Because you have been a host for several years and have outstanding star-ratings, INSIST on speaking with a supervisor AND that trust and security (or whatever their title is) responds to you PROMPTLY; you've waited long enough. I had a customer service rep jump the gun a few years ago and froze my listing. After a week of waiting, I finally got frustrated enough to make the wheel start squeaking; I started calling until I actually spoke with someone from Trust and Safety who resolved the matter in minutes.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

Dear Fiona  & Keith Family,

How are you? I hope all is well. The same thing happened to me recently. Would you be please able to email me to guide through the steps on getting my account back? just some advices would be greatly appreciated. My email address is ****

Ive been a host for almost two years 4.5stars. Thank you. Raphael.

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons- in line with the Community Center Guidelines. To send a direct message here, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Dave192

I am truly sorry for this loss. 

Unfortunately, business is risky.  All of us are at the whims of Airbnb. We are small players for a big company.

If you are truly as innocent as you are protraying yourself, I can only make a guess of foul play.

Perhaps a competitor has hacked your account and done offensive, criminal things.

Or a competitor has posed as a guest and made slanderous accusations about you.

I really can't advise you. Airbnb is a big company. It is in their interest to keep many things secret - even if they are lies.

Do write a formal letter to them, stating what you have said here. Maybe someone will do the right thing