What to do when guests lie on reviews

Jordan241
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

What to do when guests lie on reviews

I just had this issue with a guest that left a 1 star review and it was Airbnb who called me to book the reservation! The guests as they had a previous issue with the last location, right there I should have already known something was afoot. Apparently it doesn't matter how much time, money and effort you spend to keep Superhost status and it is all worthless. Needless to say my Superhost status is gone after just 1 bad guest review.

The guest came and was very disrespectful to the space; she had extra guests, broke several items including my washing machine, smoked in the house and I clearly have a no smoking policy, etc. Because we are friendly and accommodating they requested to extend the stay off Airbnbs books and after I denied her was when they turned up the heat. And to put the cherry on top this guest on multiple occasions threatens to extort me into paypal her 'damages' outside of Airbnb!

Thinking Airbnb would handle it I opened a case with Airbnb but Airbnb refused to acknowledge the guests lies(with verifiable proof), violations, and blackmail toward me. Yet when every rep I spoke to understood and acknowledged but nothing was ever done because it is policy not to remove reviews unless its extortion, blackmail, or threats to review. And these must be written they cannot be verbal.

In Real Estate industry guests like these people are referred to as 'professional tenants' they know the rules and loopholes and exploit them to their gain. Airbnb is not wise to this nor do they care to investigate, they put the burden on the community and unsuspecting hosts to get slammed as they make 'notes' and they will reassure you that "they won't get far."

27 Replies 27
Gary382
Level 3
Idyllwild-Pine Cove, CA

I would keep after airbnb, keep asking to have the case esculated until you get the review removed.  Keep reminding them that THEY called for this person, that the person tried to get you to go off the books which is against the TOS.  Reply to every email from AIr that you do not consider this matter closed.  Hit them up on facebook and twitter as well.  Be persistant and professional.

Gary

I agree.  I am a brand new host and just had a similar situation. The first review I just got was a very negative one. The guest was lied on the purpose of her reservation and ignore the house rules as no smoking, no party and very disrespectfully made the house full of garbage. After called to the Airbnb, the manager canceled the listing and ask them leave the property about 12:00 midnight. She then gave a very bad review as my first review. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Some people say they get better results by contacting airbnb either via Facebook or the Twitter feed, so you could try that. 

It seems that the bed bug fake claim is getting more popular, I have read of other hosts having guests claim bed bugs and then the professionals found nothing at all, and still airbnb doesn't seem to act on it.  

Thanks I'm doing that today. It's crazy because you are a host and dont have access to nearly the amount of reviews and you can even see it! I'm sure there are some real cases but ABB has been around the block enough, they should have a solution by now. I guess if they wanted to or if it affected their revenues they would be on top of it.

@Jordan241   Agree, keep on at Airbnb. Try Twitter and FB as well.   I hope you  flagged and reported the guest, you can do that on their profile.  Would have great if you had written a review you could have given less than 3 stars and thumbed them down so they could no longer Instant Book, it would have also alerted future hosts.  For the future make sure everything is in the message thread, even if it means reiterating a verbal conversation you had with them or, saying no to a request such as the one to pay outside Airbnb.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Ugh. It's really disheartening to hear stories like this. I hope your case is resolved in your favor.

There's so many more people who are experiencing this and I didn't know until it happened to me. And I try to be reasonable because I understand ABB is huge, they do a lot of business I get it everyone wont be happy but that's no the same as blatant lying. These real people are the biggest part of your business and something needs to be done as this is not a one off situation.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Jordan241 Refuse to accept this lack of response from Airbnb. Be like an annoying fly or gnat buzzing around their heads. Write @Airbnbhelp on Twitter and ask them to assist you. They seem to be able to kick unresolved issues up to competent case managers who know what they are doing. I would not stop contacting Airbnb until that review is taken off. This one star review will destroy your stats and possibly negatively affect your business, plus, it simply isn't right, what happened to you, anyway you look at it. And don't fall for it if any rep says the review cannot be removed do to the computer being in charge - This is simply not true. I received a retaliatory review and I got it removed nearly immediately after I saw it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease in these situations. Best of luck!

Thanks so much! And I am going to do every thing in my power because my booking rate has tanked already because of it. They have so many of these reps who will repeat the same things so I have to find someone who has some sense and decency.

Great, @Jordan241, keep us posted!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

whyyyyyyyyyy did you not review this guest???

The MOMENT a guest breaks a significant rule (unaccounted for guests, smoking) you should be working right then to cancel their reservation and get them gone. Guests do not get better as they go. As it is, you let them stay and you didn't even review them and now you're surprised that this has gone badly.

Go ahead and keep after ABB to deal with the review, but also make a better plan for what you'll do the next time you get a bad guest. And review these people.

Good luck

I knoowww! I was trying to be proactive speak into the case manager and they were the one that told me I did not need to leave a review because they were canceling the stay. I never had this happen before so I assumed Airbnb was going to handle it, silly me right.

Thank you so much I will definitely stay on top of them until I get this resolved I have not had a single request and 1 view to my Airbnb account since then. I have been fooled once and I will not make the same mistakes again.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jordan241  I would also ask that they investigate what happened at the first place they were at. Neither you nor the host they left reviewed this person, so she is free to keep it up.I would also ask that they check into other stays while they are at as they can do this instantly. I would document everything that has happened from the begining in the  AirBnB system immediately and stay on top of AirBnB to get this removed. Upload you pest inspection report also. I would request fund for that to be reimbursed based on her lies also get an estimate to fix the washer and charge for that also. Upload the report and cost. Tell AirBnB to get a copy of the medical report since they say they went to a doctor with a diagnosis of bed bug bites. 

I'm sending those in again, I already sent them to the case manager which is why its frustrating they are not looking into it any more. But I will do that too, Thank you!