What to include in your messaging templates?

Answered!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What to include in your messaging templates?

Messages templates.jpg

Hello everyone,

Good communication with a guest is essential for a great experience. We recently heard  from many of you (post) that in order to help you keep up with your bookings, you like to create templates as a base for your messages. This way you can make sure you have all the information your guest needs close to hand.

What do you include in your message templates? If you don’t presently use message templates, what do you think is important to include?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Best Answer
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I use several templates, including my 'pre-approval message', my 'pre-check in message' and my pre-check out message. 

In my pre approval message, I reiterate the rules more extensively and include information on how to operate the wood stove, reminders about the fact that we use a septic tank, the fact that hot water is not unlimited, what I expect before checking out, etc. I ask guests to respond to this message, notifiying me that they agree to everything. 

In my pre-arrival message, I send the door code, wifi code, detailed directions and reiterate my rules and policies one more time as a gentle reminder. 

Lasty, in my pre-check out message, I remind guests about the check out requirements of closing and locking all windows and doors, putting trash in the trash cans, doing their dishes, etc. 

So far the system seems to have worked well. 

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28

I can't imagine hosting without using templates. I use Airbnb automation software that helps me to create the templates, so it really doesn't take a lot of time. I send quite a few templates. One that I have found quite helpful is the one I send the day before departure to remind my guests of the checkout time.

Very cool. What's this software that you're using. Im trying to improve my communication with guests

I'm currently using AirGMS. Overall, it works well. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I use several templates, including my 'pre-approval message', my 'pre-check in message' and my pre-check out message. 

In my pre approval message, I reiterate the rules more extensively and include information on how to operate the wood stove, reminders about the fact that we use a septic tank, the fact that hot water is not unlimited, what I expect before checking out, etc. I ask guests to respond to this message, notifiying me that they agree to everything. 

In my pre-arrival message, I send the door code, wifi code, detailed directions and reiterate my rules and policies one more time as a gentle reminder. 

Lasty, in my pre-check out message, I remind guests about the check out requirements of closing and locking all windows and doors, putting trash in the trash cans, doing their dishes, etc. 

So far the system seems to have worked well. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is great @John1080. Do you find this saves you a lot of time and that you guests react well to having all this information?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie, yes, it saves me a ton of time. I usually edit the first few sentences to personalize it a bit for each guest, particularly if the guest has asked a specific question in their inquiry. 

So far, all guests have reacted well and seem to like having all the info up front.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Lizzie. Like the others, I use similar commentary that is customised. I do not have any Airbnb saved templates, but keep guest responses in an Airbnb folder with sub folders. 

If I need to alter one, I copy and paste into the new guests folder, then make the changes or additions, then copy and paste to the message site.very quick as I’m working off iPads etc.

This works well for me; and is doable with a singular listing. With “guest” folders established, it allows me to add information that may come from conversation, so it assists with “knowing” the guest better. Especially if they contact even two years later! 

However, unlike the other hosts, I never share the WiFi details electronically.

They can be found in an instant when they enter the space, right next to their personal welcome card. In fact I have WiFi slips available in each room, so if they are adding an extra device, they have it nearby.

🙂

Cathie

Dora2
Level 4
Hveragerði, Iceland

Hi everyone-

I use the templates alot.. !

I have a "thank you for your inquiry"- "thank you for booking" - "this week is your arrival date at our house" - "as the guest has arrived, is everything ok?" and a "night before departure, check out time- manual and thank you for choosing our house"

In every template I enclude info for every occasion.

House rules and manual for the house is in the reservation details as well as directions.

I have the box to tick in that guests must agree to the rules of the house before they can book.

But occasionally some guests are completely out there !!...ask about everything that is detailed in the listing as well in their reservation details 🙂 

One thing I would like to have as an option in listing amenites is : the septic  and the unlimited hot water source.... for my house is an old renovated farm.

🙂

Hi, just curious where the box Is to check for the guests agreeing to the rules of the house?

@Dora2 wrote:

Hi everyone-

I use the templates alot.. !

I have a "thank you for your inquiry"- "thank you for booking" - "this week is your arrival date at our house" - "as the guest has arrived, is everything ok?" and a "night before departure, check out time- manual and thank you for choosing our house"

In every template I enclude info for every occasion.

House rules and manual for the house is in the reservation details as well as directions.

I have the box to tick in that guests must agree to the rules of the house before they can book.

But occasionally some guests are completely out there !!...ask about everything that is detailed in the listing as well in their reservation details 🙂 

One thing I would like to have as an option in listing amenites is : the septic  and the unlimited hot water source.... for my house is an old renovated farm.

🙂

Ioannis21
Level 4
Artemida, Greece

Hi Lizzie and all, 

We use message  templates  from the day of initial contact  as it saves a lot of time, they can be used from mobile devices (cellphone tablet) give us the advantage to answer immediately and guest understands that he is dealing with an organised host. 

Template categories 

A - Initial contact - Preaproval - Approval - Decline 

We use different messages depending guest;s approach we always thank them for contacting, we answer any initial questions they have. As we dont have instant booking ON, we encourage them to book and promise to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

During acceptance phase we send them a Thank you message .

We always ask for team synthesis and check in and check out times 

We honestly decline when we understand that our house is not a good fix for them or the guest/s are not a good guest for us.

B - Pre arrival stage 

We send them

finding the address details with links for Google maps and GPS systems - Here we request confirmation that they have tried the links and work. 

Transportation options and costs to reach us 

We have pleanty of suggestions in Getting around section of our listing and we encourage them to read it  and make the most of it. 

and we request from them the following :

Flight details, ship name and arrival times at ports 

Transportation decisions (taxi, public transport own car)

If they use roaming and Prefered way of communication during their arrival (Voice calls/SMS/Viber/Whatsapp)

If they fave some special diatary needs or allergies 

2-3 days before arrival we send them : 

House rules

Registration form (for tax authorities)

Contact phones 

Instructions how will meet them at house port airport meeting point

Weather forecast in their language 

Driving tips if they arrive by car 

On the arrival day we are in touch via the preferred way of communication 

C- AFTER ARRIVAL 

Welcome and is everything OK ?  message to all hosts.VERY IMPORTANT from day 1 only 

If they stay longer this is repeated every 2-3 days 

Link to the closest beach to our house. 

D- Check out process 

Your taxi service is confirmed reminder , 

Good Bye  message on their way from home to airport. In this message we include a polite review reminder.

Review reminder after 5 days if they have not written a review

2nd review reminder

If they have left behind anything we take a photo of it and ask them if they want us to send it to them via Post service. 

We always use the airbnb messaging system and if anything is sent outside of it we copy paste our answers to the platform as well .

If anyone needs some specific message suggestion , fell free to ask. We will share 🙂

Yiannis Irene 

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

I love the templates. They save me a ton of time. Great ideas here. Here are some of mine:

*Thanks for booking

*Arrival information - includes a sentence at the end that asks them to confirm they've received the instructions. If they don't confirm I know I need to send it again.

*Post check-in message to make sure they are finding everything okay

*Rainy day activities suggestions

*Busy dates - a message encouraging guests to make reservations ahead of time for dining out when they've booked dates that are very popular here

*Fireplace instructions - for guests who are having difficulty getting a chimney to draw (usually because of inexperience)

*Wifi troubleshooting instructions

*Departure Instructions

*Thanks for being a great guest - sometimes I wonder whether guests worry they are receiving a bad review if I leave one too quickly after they leave. Hopefully this allieviates that concern and encourages them to leave one in return.

Andy418
Level 2
Centennial, CO

Hi,

I am a new host. When sending out the Saved Message to the guest, I found myself having to type-in guest name and other bits of information which is already there on the messaging page, https://www.airbnb.com/z/q/.

Being a developer I wrote an extension for Chrome browser, AirMessage, https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/airbnb-message-template/nalpdinkhhepeeoofajlcdgmlhmikkgf

To use AirMessage, you would add the templated fields to your Saved Message such as {{firstname}}, {{checkindate}}. The extension will substitute those fields with the associated value. You can also define your own templated fields; the Chrome extension page has detailed instruction.

If you decide to give AirMessage a try, navigate to Chrome Store using above URL; then click the blue button "Add To Chrome". I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me to help improve this little tool.

Thanks,

Andy

Ian438
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I use the pre-made template on Hosts & Homes, they contain message templates for initial enquiries and nudging your guests for a review.

https://hostsandhomes.com/airbnb-message-templates-to-help-you-save-time/

Martin3066
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi - I had some automated messages set up a while ago, which would send the keysafe codes and other instructions to guest 3 days prior to checkin.  However.... I think these stopped suddenly, and I now have to manually message people using the templates, which is a chore.

Please can someone explain why the automated messaging was removed - is it so that we have to pay to use an affiliated messaging service?!  The automated message service is still running on Booking.com

Thanks

Martin Read