What do you put in the fridge for guests?

What do you put in the fridge for guests?

Hello there. I’m a new host and have been reading all the informative posts on here. My space is a private guest house with kitchen. I have a mini fridge in the space that I put waters in.

Are there any other must haves I should put in there? I leave snacks on the table, but wanted to know if others have had good feedback on other things. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

-Dane’lle 

176 Replies 176

This is exactly what I do.  I actually had someone complain when there was fresh food in the space (eggs) that they felt like they had to clean up after past guests.

I disagree.  I provide a gift basket with snacks such as sea salt caramel corn and other goodies from local vendors.  I also put a postcard from a cool local venue or landmark that the guest can keep or send home.  Seasonal items such as gingerbread cookies or fresh baked pumpkin bread are a nice touch.   I also provide regular and sparkling water as well as wine in the mini fridge.  On the end table a glass urn with sample sized shampoos, conditioners, mini soaps, lotions, lip balms and tooth paste.  

I leave treats on the night stand and always have a candle lit or the string lights on when they arrive. 

I also provide a dry breakfast bar and coffee for our guests. 

Fresh flowers are in each room and the bathroom too.  

I have 3 rooms in my home that I Airbnb and we are booked almost nightly with all 3.   We have a 5 star rating and am a Super Host with repeat guests.  This is with a shared bathroom.

Go above and beyond.  Besides you can write off all your extras.   

A quote I will always remember from the show #StayHere.   "One towel is required, two towels show you care".  

If all you care about is making money it will show.

That is awsome. I love that show. I was going to provide a choice of wine (I have wine fridge in my pool house) for a donation, but didn't know the legality of it. Maybe I will just leave a bottle, but I thought for convenience they could have whatever they wanted and I would keep inventory. I know some may not leave money and some will but I don't know . I'm one that I feel I need to leave water, coffee and snacks. How do you write it off? That would be my first question. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Kiaora @Casey-And-Dane-lle0  I cost for milk, juice , some fruit and a bar of Free Trade chocolate.  Have to say I was  disappointed to find no milk in a place that we booked after a 15 hour flight and told where to walk 15 minutes to the shops to get some. 😉 

Lucas266
Level 3
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

well.. imo this is also understandable: for example: we never drink milk at my place.

we would put it available if a host asked for it but the question is:

did you ask?

I'm actually kind of amazed to see how many folks here consider milk to be an essential food item. I don't think I've had a glass of milk since I was about 10 years old. 

@Sarah0 I didn't know adults still drank milk. Here, milk would be one of the most wasteful items one could put in the fridge for their guests.

@Artrell0  My mother is 78 and still drinks milk everyday. Yuck!

@Letti0  I agree with the Yuck factor. The thought of drinking a glass of milk is actually revolting to me. I can't even stand looking at those milk industry ads that feature celebrities with a "milk mustache", turns my stomach.

Lucas266
Level 3
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

isn't it amazing how each person has their preferences and these items that are a must?

for example: eggs are a must-have for me.

and I was eating no meat for more than 20 years but now I do eat it often...

Our listing is a separate apartment within our home, with its own kitchen and bath. We provide coffee, tea and leave a non-dairy creamer that won't spoil stocked as I'm not always there due to work/school when the guests arrive.

Not a good idea to supply dairy. Let guests know ahead of time that it’s not supplied (for obvious reasons). 

Hi Ria!

Hi Casey and Dane'lle!

In my lil frig downstairs,  I have  2 small cans of lime Perrier, 2 small  cans Izze drinks, 2 small V-8s.

I used to provide bottled water but  I stopped providing water......I had to replace it too  often,  and it was too  heavy.   Instead, now I have a Brita water filter downstairs just for them, with their own drinking bottles.  Regarding milk,   these lil containers are $1 each.   You don't have to refrigerate them, but I do anyway.   They last forever.

Horizon Organic’s Flavored Single Serve Milk, which comes fortified with Vitamins A and D, in fun fl...

Like traditional drink boxes, these are 8-oz, prepackaged, single servings that come with their own straw attached, or you can peel the foil wrapper away at the top to easily pour into another container (or to sip directly from the carton). They come in four flavors – traditional ‘white’ milk, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

Due to the way in which the milk is processed, the single servings do not need to be refrigerated, which makes the options for transporting them almost limitless. From the Horizon Organic website:

Single serve milks are packaged in aseptic tetrapaks and unopened will keep at room temperature up to seven months or until the date code. The milk is pasteurized using UHT or ultra-high temperature process which is similar to UP or ultra-pasteurization, in which the milk is heated to >280° F for 2-3 seconds, but packaged in a sterile environment thus extending its shelf life. The package itself is durable, lightweight, convenient for transport, and uses low energy and few materials. It is recyclable at any local program that accepts aseptic packages.

Since I don't let the guests use  my kitchen,   I  include a microwave and coffee maker downstairs also, with oatmeal packets, cereal, some snacks, etc.  They use the milk for their cereal, and  in their coffee.

IMG_3161.JPG

Khaled37
Level 1
Cairo, Egypt

ill always remember the hostess in amsterdam had beer for us when we arrived at her place...i go for water when i host and if i can go the extra mile i would as its always good to leave a sweet memory.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I host in my home, so I don't deal with this, but my friend who has a private guest suite leaves a few cold drinks in the mini fridge, and some chips, granola bars, etc. If it's summer and hot, she'll stick a couple cold beers in there. Also coffee and coffee cream. She doesn't say she provides any of this- so it's a pleasant surprise for the guests and one they've told her they were really grateful for after a long journey- they didn't have to right away go to the store or out to eat, but could shower, unpack and relax a bit without being starving.

Promising less and providing more usually leads to satisfied guests and good reviews.

She doesn't charge extra for these things, but has had guests leave $20 on the table with a note of appreciation!