What do you put in the fridge for guests?

What do you put in the fridge for guests?

Hello there. I’m a new host and have been reading all the informative posts on here. My space is a private guest house with kitchen. I have a mini fridge in the space that I put waters in.

Are there any other must haves I should put in there? I leave snacks on the table, but wanted to know if others have had good feedback on other things. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

-Dane’lle 

176 Replies 176

The first couple of guests we went to our rental and baked cookies or cupcakes... after that, due to time contraints on our part no more of that. 🙂  We have offered to do preshopping but so far no one has taken us up on that.  We do have freshly filtered water in the refrigerator.  We also provide coffee beans (cafe and decafe) (one guest suggested putting a date on the canister to show how fresh or old they are but we put fresh beans in the canisters on a regular schedule), a coffee bean grinder, a variety of teas, sweeteners, non-dairy creamer, cooking oils, common spices (salt, pepper and a few others).  

We did leave some some condements left by guests but noticed in time that new guests didn't seem to use them.  Now we clean out anything left by our guests.  We told our house cleaning service that they could take anything they wanted if food was left in the freezer or fridge.  Othewise we take it ourselve, give it to a local foodbank our dispose of it.

Helen267
Level 10
St. Andrews, United Kingdom

I've just started a new holiday rental in the Cairngorms National Park, in Scotland, and I'm currently doing a FB competition to promote my brand. The competition is to win the contents of one of our hampers (UK residents only, due to shipping), and people enter by commenting with what thing they like best to receive in a welcome hamper (I'm close to the top of the price range in my area, I sleep 8 and have a minimum 3 night stay - a welcome hamper is a non-negotiable).   It's been really interesting getting the feedback (although getting feedback from actual guests rather than competition entrants will be more interesting). Locally sourced is scoring highly, as is alcohol, chocolate, jam, and biscuits such as shortbread.

I live 2 hours away from the property, so our cleaners will be responsible for prepping the hamper, which means perishables are a bit tricky. Being British, the thought of not having milk for a cup of tea is just too awful to contemplate, so whatever it takes the milk (i'll opt for semi-skimmed) must be there, but fresh bread might prove just too hard to organise.  Interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

Hi:

I offer to shop for my guests.  I do not charge for this other than the cost of groceries.  I word my offer to shop in such a way that guests understand this is to get them some groceries for dinner and breakfast the next day, and a few drinks, an not an invitation to get them enough groceries that will last them the entire duration of their stay.  I also put them in touch with an online wine and beer store so they can order what they want and have it delivered to the apartment prior to their arrival. I coordinate with the supplier to recieve the order.  I also point out that for spirits, these are best purchased at the duty free shop on arrival in Barbados.  Guests love to arrive, open a cold beer or pour themselves a glass of wine, and be soaking in the pool within a few minutes.  

Hi, I am the same - just starting out with a little cottage.  We have a small farm so produce our own eggs and meat.  I was thinking of including eggs, bread, small butter & jams.  Then have an honesty bar and freezer with a selection of drinks and food.  What are the regualtions for supplying/selling homecooked food???  Anyone had any problems with this?

Hi,  I rent the main floor of my three level town house ( 2 bedrooms, private bathroom and a den/sitting room that houses a tv, small frid, microwave, dishes, tea, coffee etc); I don’t leave bottles of water in the frig- with so much concern about plastic, I opted to leave lovely  carafs of water ( lidded) and glasses on a small silver tray in the bedrooms- it’s better for the environment and it looks very welcoming; I should mention that I leave truffles on the tray as well so I fell it looks like a pampered presentation... just a thought..,

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, this discussion is incredible. Thank you to everyone here who has shared what they do, it is so interesting to hear and the reasons behind it. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Apostolos--and--Magdalen0
Level 2
Thessaloniki, Greece

I have an apartment with a full equipped kitchen. I always leave water in the refrigerator in a glass bottle (In Greece tap water is always drinkable and good quality) and a bowl of chocolates and candies on the table with a welcome card. In the kitchen there are always coffee, tea, sugar, honey, olive oil and salt. I have also a toy for the children, if there is any.

If the reservation is for more that 1 week, I offer also a bottle of Fine Greek wine.

Also I always communicate with my visitor before arrival and ask if they need to have something more for them in the house.  Especially if the guests are families with children, I ask if they want to have milk or some other food in the refrigerator - this depends of course on the time of arrival. If guests arrive late at home, they may want something light to eat so they do not have to go out. In this case, the food that I leave for them is always packed, with distinct expiration date (as pasteurized milk, yogurt, biscuits, bread) or fresh fruit.

I am new in hosting, but till now, I have very good coments from my guests.

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

I wouldnt give anything. We live in a world of allergies and therefore liability. If you must then it should be still in packaging and sealed. That way its the Vendors issue for not describing the ingredients. 

April-and-Stuart0
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

Personally, we leave quite a selection of drinks. Water, flavored sparkling water, a couple diets, and non diet soda (we shop at Costco so the variety always changes).   A can of soda vs. a bottle of water does not cost much different and the variety shows a higher level of detail and care that you put into hosting.

Sure, providing a few extra drinks cuts on margins, but in my experience the more detail and care you put in the "extras" the more people appreciate their stay and write a fantastic review, which in return allows us to charge more than others in our area. I will pay more to stay at a higher quality place than to compromise a crappy stay because a host cared more about margins than their guests. 

Also, to go off the mini fridge specifically, we have a Keurig, snacks, and we always have q-tips, cotton balls, extra (pre-toothpasted in wrappers-Amazon is great for these) toothbrushes, razors, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Things that people may commonly forget. These details and making a place feel like a home away from home is what Airbnb is about. 

I've also noticed the majority of guests do not eat or drink or use ALL of the items and to be honest most hardly take any (apart from coffee). Only a rare few have eaten and drank everything. 

When you make it feel like home, guests will treat it with respect. 

Lorie7
Level 4
Lawrence, KS

I offer coffee and tea, milk, creamer, juice, bread and sometimes yogurt.  I was offering fruit but found it was never eaten - even the yogurt is seldom touched.  I also offer snacks in the room and a few pieces of chocolate. 

Other little things I provide in the room are a flashlight (in case of thunderstorms) and a lint roller (cats in house).  I live in the property so it's easier for me to use up food in the fridge...but find I have adapted my offerings since the beginning - used to provide cereal, eggs, cookies, etc.  Once in a while if I have made some cookies or biscotti I will put some out in a jar near the kettle as a nice touch.  In addition to bottled water in the room I have a Brita filter pitcher and cups in the room so they don't have to use the plastic bottles.  I also have a cold pitcher of water in the fridge.

Colin72
Level 4
Cape Town, South Africa

We provide in the Fridge- Water, Juice and Fresh Milk. Often they are not touched, but they are useful things for a guest to have.

For people traveling long distances or from overseas, we leave 3 local kinds of cheese in a glass dome and some fresh bread on the counter. Really has been amazing how grateful they are for it. 

Best tip - Add the cost of milk, juice, etc into your cleaning fee, this way it won't affect your margin or nightly price. 

Jeannine28
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I put a bottle of water in the fridge and a small long life milk. Instant and filter coffee (there is a plunger),  two kinds of tea, sugar, rusks and breakfast biscuits  and salt and pepper is on the tray. In the cupboard is a small bottle of cooking oil. The latter is because there is a kitchenette in the flat to prepare meals and one cannot fly with bottles of cooking oil. A lot of my guests are flying in.

Just basics for hungry guests before they get a chance to go shopping .

And a chocolate on the bedside table  😊

Susie49
Level 2
Guelph, Canada

Reading all these reviews surprises me.  I have a self contained apartment in my little house and it is completely outfitted with a new kitchen, pots and pans, dishes, cutlery, everything a person would have in their own home.  I offer 2 bottled waters, 2 perriers, 2 small Coronita beers, orange juice, milk, cream in the refrigerator along with a fresh fruit plate and Greek Yogurt. Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas are available.  I will leave freshly baked cookies or scones or cupcakes for arrival.  Guests who stay over ten days get a bottle of wine. Butter, jam, most condiments, spices, freshly ground pepper, koscher salt, sugar, flour, baking supplies...most things people would need to cook or bake. I understand why people wouldn't bake nor leave a fruit plate but why wouldn't you leave fresh milk and cream for coffee and tea drinkers.  You don't have to leave a litre but pour enough into a clean pitcher and cover with foil.  I want people to check in and have everything they need on the first night without having to go out.  I get many repeat customers who love this touch.

Jamie306
Level 2
Cedar Key, FL

In my rental I leave the fridge empty.  I keep some common spices, vegetable oil, coffee, sugar,  salt and pepper in a cupboard.  I also have a small "goodie basket" in the kitchen with a couple single serving oatmeal, grits, and a microwave popcorn.  I also have a couple various tea packets in there.  I try to stay away from perishable items.   In the Winter I also leave a couple hot chocolate packets.

I disagree.  I provide a gift basket with snacks such as sea salt caramel corn and other goodies from local vendors.  I also put a postcard from a cool local venue or landmark that the guest can keep or send home.  Seasonal items such as gingerbread cookies or fresh baked pumpkin bread are a nice touch.   I also provide regular and sparkling water as well as wine in the mini fridge.  On the end table, a glass urn with sample sized shampoos, conditioners, mini soaps, lotions, lip balms and toothpaste.  

I leave treats on the nightstand and always have a candle lit or the string lights on when they arrive. 

I also provide a dry breakfast bar and coffee for our guests. 

Fresh flowers are in each room and the bathroom too.  

I have 3 rooms in my home that I Airbnb and we are booked almost nightly with all 3.   We have a 5 star rating and am a Super Host with repeat guests.  This is with a shared bathroom.

Go above and beyond.  Besides you can write off all your extras.   

A quote I will always remember from the show #StayHere.   "One towel is required, two towels show you care".  

If all you care about is making money it will show.