What do you put in the fridge for guests?

What do you put in the fridge for guests?

Hello there. I’m a new host and have been reading all the informative posts on here. My space is a private guest house with kitchen. I have a mini fridge in the space that I put waters in.

Are there any other must haves I should put in there? I leave snacks on the table, but wanted to know if others have had good feedback on other things. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

-Dane’lle 

176 Replies 176

@Sarah977   I am a coffee snob. I only drink it black and mostly espresso's with a lemon peel twist. I have a Jura Impressa Z6 with the black refrigerator unit next to it (keeps it fresh for 5-7 days easily) along side for my daughters to use when they come for latte's and cappuccino's at the touch of a button. 

Connie-And-Mark0
Level 2
Gloucester, MA

I have regular coffee and decaf in the pantry along with several teas. My restaurant owner friend gives me small containers of half and half for the refrigerator.  (I leave one of his menus out on the kitchen table along with other menus).  I leave one muffin out for each person staying.  There are also wrapped crackers and granola bars in the pantry.   Everyone seems to really enjoy the muffins and several have even mentioned having them in their reviews. They are well worth whatever they cost me (which isn't very much).  I leave a Brita water pitcher in the refrigerator too.

Thanks @Connie-And-Mark0. Lots of people have mentioned positive feedback with muffins. Do you think that I could mark “breakfast provided” if I leave muffins or similar?

Only if you also left juice, fruit and more would i call it “breakfast”.  Maybe some individual boxes of cereal and milk would be nice, along with fruit. 

I don’t mention the muffins in my description. I just leave them out. 

@Connie-And-Mark0  I do not mention what I leave either, better to expect less than more is my logic. 

@Connie-And-Mark0  and @Letti0 I try to keep expectations minimal as well. But I do try to leave out whatever I have in hand (granola bars, fruit, chips/crackers, etc)

Peet1
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

I'm somewhat new to this, just opened about 9 months ago. 

I found a coffee maker called One Touch that takes either k-cups or you can add your own coffee in a mini filter. 

I provide a selection of k-cups, and also some locally sourced coffee beans and a grinder for the purists. Following this forum, I think that I'll check into mini moos. 

We also provide filtered water from the fridge, and bottles of water. Also red and white wine, a couple bottles of craft beer, and a selection of canned sodas. 

The theory I am following is that our guests are allowed to make their own choices between convenience and quality. 

We are located in an Ecovillage, in the midst of a community garden, so we promote sustainable choices. But our guests are traveling, so i don't want to assume they have their own water bottles. 

Honestly, we are the most expensive in the neighborhood. But we are still a fraction of a nice hotel, so we get booked thoroughly. For the last 4 months we've only had one day out of the month unbooked. 

BTW, none of the items are mentioned in the listing. It makes for a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

We leave a bottle of wine, fruit bowl, chocolate, coffee and bottled water and a small boat as a souvenir from my city, but also don't mention it in the description and it is a nice surprise for all of the guests. 

Emily570
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

We leave our guests a cleared shelf in the fridge and put margarine and yoghurts for them to help themselves too. They are also welcome to use our milk. 

We also give them a private cupboard with cereal, bread, tea, coffee, sugar etc to stop guests from helping themselves to our own larder. It’s worked really well for us as there’s a clear line of what they can and can’t use. 

Donna316
Level 4
Tasman, New Zealand

We have a self contained Studio and I leave coffee, plunger coffee with a coffee plunger, tea bags and sugar.  I also put ice cubes in freezer and 2 small bottles of milk for the first night only.  When in season I put fruit in Studio which is from our fruit trees and also salt, pepper and oil for the BBQ.  I am also going to start leaving a jug of water in the fridge as we have beautiful fresh well water.  For what we charge its not worth us putting any other "treats" in there otherwise we wouldnt make any money.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Considering that my listing is so odd; we leave one fresh lobster per guest in the refrigerator upon arrival.  If they are exceptionally cool guests,as of this October, we will be also giving them a nearby-island cruise on their last day.  Talking about 'bribing' guests into good reviews. Got to out-think my new high-end competitors, which happen to have totally bigger wallet then we will ever have. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Fred13, I want you fridge! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I forgot, we also provide crabs, which some 'weird' people like better than lobsters. 🙂

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I think it depends on your space and your location. My place is a loft apartment and is set up for 2 people. It is about 90 minutes north of a major city. So most of the people that visit my area drive up on a Friday and leave on Sunday.  They tend to bring groceries from in town with them.  So I only put a couple of bottles of water in the fridge. I have kcups for the Keurig(I leave about 6 for the weekend but have in the notes that there is also an aero press for coffee snobs). I leave mini moos, sugar, stevia, tea bags and that’s about it. I am interested in learning to make my own granola so will try that just for fun.  I have a selection of those ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise in foil packets as I found people didn’t like using already opened containers of condiments. I like to bake so will do muffins or cookies as a little extra.