What do you put in the fridge for guests?

What do you put in the fridge for guests?

Hello there. I’m a new host and have been reading all the informative posts on here. My space is a private guest house with kitchen. I have a mini fridge in the space that I put waters in.

Are there any other must haves I should put in there? I leave snacks on the table, but wanted to know if others have had good feedback on other things. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

-Dane’lle 

176 Replies 176

I disagree.  I provide a gift basket with snacks such as sea salt caramel corn and other goodies from local vendors.  I also put a postcard from a cool local venue or landmark that the guest can keep or send home.  Seasonal items such as gingerbread cookies or fresh baked pumpkin bread are a nice touch.   I also provide regular and sparkling water as well as wine in the mini fridge.  On the end table, a glass urn with sample sized shampoos, conditioners, mini soaps, lotions, lip balms and toothpaste.  

I leave treats on the nightstand and always have a candle lit or the string lights on when they arrive. 

I also provide a dry breakfast bar and coffee for our guests. 

Fresh flowers are in each room and the bathroom too.  

I have 3 rooms in my home that I Airbnb and we are booked almost nightly with all 3.   We have a 5 star rating and am a Super Host with repeat guests.  This is with a shared bathroom.

Go above and beyond.  Besides you can write off all your extras.   

A quote I will always remember from the show #StayHere.   "One towel is required, two towels show you care".  

If all you care about is making money it will show.

Gretchen51
Level 3
Cookeville, TN

I think its a nice extra to provide basics: oil, a few seasonings, but always put single serving juice 2, yogurts 2, fruit, oatmeal packets, bars, at least 1/2 doz eggs,  and REAL cream in a tiny bottle, plus can of coffee, Kurieg pods, tea bags,  I was putting out a large bottle of mineral water, but almost nobody took it.  I don't leave out alcohol, as you don't know if a guest is a recovering alcoholic.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

For those who mention about the offer of milk, have you considered sending a msg to ask your Guests prior to arrival if they have any particular Milk preference?

That way it adds a little extra appreciated touch, or a definite yes or no if they plan to consume it.

Win/ Win all around.

Is there a reason why in the USA so few of you appear to drink fresh milk & prefer to use other substances?

@Helen427  What "other substances" are you referring to?  I haven't drunk a glass of milk since I was about 14, although I do use it occasionally in cereal. Even seeing someone drink a glass of milk is nauseating to me. As far as I'm concerned, milk is for baby cows 🙂

@Helen427  - provide a small container of whole milk. I don't message the guest ahead of time because I don't want to go down a rabbit hole. In my own home we have allergies and lactose intolerance so we use soy and almond milk. It costs me a little over a dollar, so if they don't use it I'm fine. We cater to families so I figure it can also be used for cereal, oatmeal etc.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

In the refrigerator I leave eggs, small bottle of whole milk, bottle of orange juice, 1/4 stick of butter, whole grain bread, bacon and several bottles of water. In addition I leave coffee, Keurig pods, an assortment of teas, Land o Lake Mini Moos creamer half & half, cookies from a local shop, salt,pepper, cooking oils.  If I am  in town before the stay, I also leave fresh flowers in each bathroom.  With the exception of the salt, coffee, tea, pepper and cooking oils - I don't inform the guests … so it's a nice surprise. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Bottle of water (in the summer), coffee creamer and sometimes-2 small bottles of natural doogh.

@Dimitar27  what is natural 'doogh"? or do you mean 'Dough" as in to make bread with?

Or as some of us say Dough, as in monies 🙂

@Helen427  I had never heard that either, so I just Googled it. It's a sort of kefir drink- nothing to do with flour dough or money.

No. Its called doogh or ayran. A yogurt drink.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Sarah977 I hadn't thought to look on Google.

@Dimitar27  Is Doogh a traditional drink for breakfast in Bulgaria?

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Yes, it is. But not only for Bulgaria. Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle east...