What do you put in the fridge for guests?

What do you put in the fridge for guests?

Hello there. I’m a new host and have been reading all the informative posts on here. My space is a private guest house with kitchen. I have a mini fridge in the space that I put waters in.

Are there any other must haves I should put in there? I leave snacks on the table, but wanted to know if others have had good feedback on other things. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

-Dane’lle 

176 Replies 176

This is basically what i do. Most guests will take just a granola bar and one juice, or the chips and a beer. Approximatly one over ten guests will eat/drink it all, that's why i don't leave the same amount for a one night stay or a 3-5-7-10 days stay; i take this in consideration when i set my price, it's an output. Overall, guests are happy with the attention and are very reasonable. And yes, i do get nice notes, sometimes with tips or just a little gift, although i'm not sure the goodies have something to do with it, unless they mention it.

Jude37
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I provide tea and coffee but not the milk as i find now most guests have  a certain preference with regards to their milk In the beginning  i used to buy the longlife milk ended up throwing it out as never got used  ,When guests  arrive i usually say help yourself to tea and coffee but as i dont know your choice of milk its easier if you buy your own  

Most guests are cool with that and totally understanding  ,

I do have coffee and snacks. I have the powdered creamer but think real cream would be a nice touch. 

A better alternative is Land O'Lakes Mini Moos Half & Half. They can be stored in the fridge or in the cupboard. Individual serving sizes of liquid real milk. Quite satisfying for most guests and easy on the host. We used to provide a pint of half & half creamer in the fridge, but sometimes it would'nt be used and wouldn't stay fresh for long.

I leave the extras, and so far have thank you notes but no tips!!!  We can always hope!  I agree a few extras like snacks and water are nice

Fiona309
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Promising less, delivering m

Sure fire way to get great reviews!!!

Ellen268
Level 2
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

This is also What i do. My guesthouse is including breakfast that People make themselfs. I fill up The fridge with good but basic stuff for breakfast. Beside that i fill a basket with fruit, there a Some nuts and Chips and as an extra there is a botte of wine and a couple of cold beers. Not all The guests drink or eat it all but every one is happy and surprised that we thought of it. 

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Casey-And-Dane-lle0I share my space, yet I have a shelf in the refrigerator for the guest to put their perishables. On this shelf, I also have two kinds of local coffee ( and decaf)  and another form Trader Joe's, plus a small carton of half & half and coconut creamer. In their room, I leave chocolates, trail mix (in little packages) and water. The snacks & water are especially popular. I do not leave out alcohol for my guests, as I do not know their ages and I do not want to run afowl of any laws, yet if they are old enough, I may share a glass of wine or two with them!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting topic @Casey-And-Dane-lle0

When I have stayed in Airbnbs, I've always found it welcoming to have a bottle of milk in the fridge. One place I stayed in had just a small jug, which was perfect for when we arrived as we were able to have a nice cup of tea after a long journey. 

Whenever I stay anywhere, I don't expect the fridge to be stocked up, but the milk has always been a welcome sight, even if we have popped to the shops on the way or plan to after check-in. 

To add, like @John1080 mentioned, if you have bottles of water or alternatively something like a filter water jug, it is nice to have these in the fidge so they are nice and cool upon arrival. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

The problem with milk is there are too many options, whole, 1%, 2%, organic, soy, almond....this is why we don't provide it, because we don't want guests thinking 'oy, we hate this brand/category' of milk, and then they're unhappy and it goes to waste, its the same reason we don't provide wine, it's too personal of a taste choice.  We also have mostly stopped leaving fruit because most guests don't eat it and then it has to be thrown out.  We don't leave bottled water because it's wasteful, although we may get a Britta or other water filtration pitcher.

We always leave something, either on arrival or the night before guests leave, sparkling juice, croissants, cookies, small cake, etc. and that is on top of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, spices, oil and vinegar as well as condiments in the fridge.  

If you are hosting at your home and only for short stays then nothing has to go to waste...just take it back after they leave.  I knew nothing about coffee and  coffee makers since we don’t drink it, but we provided it and so far it’s been appreciated! Expensive tho, I’ve found!

I always find it so annoying when Guesthouse’s supply coffee, tea and sugar, but NO milk! Really?

Christina0
Level 5
Nevada, United States

In our private cottage I always have coffee, Mini Moos, raw sugar, local tea, local honey, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Cholula hot sauce. In the summer I put a few cold beers in the fridge or white wine and in the winter a bottle of red wine. I always have a few of our own eggs in the fridge and some fruit in a bowl. l also offer guests things from our vegetable garden if they want it. They don't expect it, but seem to be thrilled to have something fresh. I would say about half our guests actually eat the food.

Your hostessing is fabulous. I would love to stay at a place that offers goodies from a garden!