What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

As a new host, I'm curious to know what you veteran hosts recommend putting money into in the very beginning, and what items you think can wait until you've made some extra cash? Or items that it's okay to go cheap on at the beginning (and perhaps upgrade down the road) without too much of a negative impact on guests/bookings?

i.e., I splurged on some really comfy sheets, but went cheap on a new bedspread. Not sure if that was wise or not, but as a guest I appreciate nice, soft sheets!

81 Replies 81
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suzanne302   Yes, I think the towels and sheets are the most important to concentrate on as far as quality. I have not found that this necessarily requires a big outlay of money- I have found good quality sheets and towels in discount outlets and online. As the guests don't sleep under the bedspread, that need not cost a lot- as long as it doesn't look ratty or cheap, the guests have no idea how much you actually paid for it. Ditto for everything else.  Furniture such a bedside tables, dressers, lamps, can be found second-hand and refurbished to look unique or almost new. Dishes and other kitchen gear can also be found in second-hand stores- as long as they're not chipped or worn-looking, how would a guest know whether you scored at the second-hand store or bought them new? 

@Sarah977Thanks! All very good points!

Stella102
Level 2
Darwin, Australia

I bought very expensive sheets. Half price were still $109 per set . 500 thread count Egyptian cotton.  With only a few months use I am looking at buying new ones as they are stained so obviously my idea of providing luxurious sheets -as I have a higher end unit - backfired on me.

i sm not sure if it is my cleaners choice of laundry liquid or why they are so bad.

i am looking at this site simply to get recommendations for suitable brands and colors. I live in Australia .  So would appreciate suggestions.

i sm considering Kmart silver. 500 thread count at $49. Can snybody suggest something better ? Is silver a good idea as it seems white can soon deteriorate ?

@Suzanne302   As far as getting stains out of sheets, if your cleaner is washing them in hot water, that sets the stains in so they'll never come out. For sheets that look like they have marks on them that may stain (or all sheets, really, as sometimes the cleaner may not inspect well), they should be soaked for awhile in cold water and soap (I just fill the machine, let it agitate for a minute, then turn it off and let soak for an hour or so).  This method will remove most stains, even blood if it hasn't been left to dry on the sheets for a long time. You don't have to worry about the sheets not being sterile enough if you wash in cold water if you then put them in the dryer- the heat of the dryer will kill any bacteria.

this was awesome, thank you

Nancy691
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

Stella, I buy all white sheets, towels, bath mats, etc. i buy very good quality cotton. This enables me to attack any stains on them with bleach if necessary, although I’ve found hydrogen peroxide to be the most effective stain remover on all items (colors and whites). I’ve done this for years in my own home with 2 boys and my husband was amazed when we got married at all my white linens with boys. He now understands the logic. 🙂 hope this helps! 

Nancy, How do you use the hydrogen peroxide? Thanks, Jolinda

Google "Getting blood stains out of sheets, hydrogen peroxide." It works like a charm.

Stella I broughtmore expensive  sheets in white. But have switched some beds to soft sheets from kart in a beige colour. They wash better and iron well. However I noticed your in Darwin so might be to hot, anyway they are way more low maintenance 

Agreed. I am switching to a color

I have all color sheets. They look better over a longer time.

Every so often, I will soak my sheets overnight in the washer using cold water and powdered Oxi-Clean.  This brightens the sheets up considerably.   If there is a stain, I first use a small mixture of oxi-clean and water to make a paste.  I then spread the paste over the stain, working it into the fabric. Leave it as long as you like and then put in the washer to soak as above.  

Linda663
Level 1
California, United States

I wish I had seen this sooner!  Amazon actually has some pretty decent sheets, VERY inexpensive!  I even use them sometimes at home, and I use them when I am at the cabin!  (even though I am looking for differect outlet, as I have learned to dislike Amazon, have to find the sheets somewhere LOL. They are soooo worth the price)!

Angela1092
Level 2
Wildes Meadow, Australia

I use bamboo sheets from 

PILLOW TALK (in australia).  They wash up an absolute treat and are so soft, I wash mine but just send to the laundry for pressing and they come back looking beautiful.  They are not super cheap nor too expensive has been a while since I bought them but think maybe $100-130 for a set of queen with pillowcases.  They really feel quite luxurious, have a set for myself.  Hope this helps.  Angela G