What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

As a new host, I'm curious to know what you veteran hosts recommend putting money into in the very beginning, and what items you think can wait until you've made some extra cash? Or items that it's okay to go cheap on at the beginning (and perhaps upgrade down the road) without too much of a negative impact on guests/bookings?

i.e., I splurged on some really comfy sheets, but went cheap on a new bedspread. Not sure if that was wise or not, but as a guest I appreciate nice, soft sheets!

81 Replies 81

SHEETS/DUVET NO NEED TO SPLURGE:  I buy super inexpensive white microfiber sheets and duvet covers on Amazon and Wayfair usually buying 2-3 sets per bed in case they get stained so I have a new set ready to go.  I get 5 stars and a couple guests commented that the sheets were amazing.  And, seriously, they were $20/set.  

SHAMPOO/CONDITIONER = SPLURGE:  don't you love going to a hotel and smelling the soap? Guests do, too! Consider fabulous shampoo/conditioner (I use Paul Mitchell Mint - guests have commented they love it and it makes the bathroom smell like a spa). It costs more but only pennies per guest and implies your place is swank.

BATHROOM AMENITIES = SPLURGE:  load up on inexpensive toothbrushes (Amazon $.25 each, razors, tampons, cold medicine, etc.) and other bathroom amenities.  Guests always forget things at home and you'll surprise/delight them when they find it in the drawers.  Again - low cost, high return. Nearly every 5 star review comments on how well the house is stocked.  I do this instead of providing an expensive welcome kit (wine + card only).  

@Kelly333Yes you are so right! Nearly all of my guests have commented about how I "thought of everything" in regards to what guests might need. Having those extras in the bathroom/bedroom is such an inexpensive "wow" factor. I also include a lint brush (I have a dog and my room is dog-friendly) and an umbrella that guests have definitely put to use.

They have also commented on my toiletries although my shampoo/conditioner/body wash is pretty inexpensive. I use the  "Love and Beauty and Planet" line I get at Target that's about $6.99/bottle.

I ended up buying a cheap comforter ($20) that has held up extremely well for six months. As for sheets, I found a relatively inexpensive ($30/set Queen) microfiber set that has held up very well. I have two sets I rotate.

@Suzanne302 Great minds! I'll have to check out the Target shampoo 🙂  I bought cheap duvet inserts, too, from Amazon and Wayfair. At first I was cringing because I wouldn't use them in my house (down only) but seriously I've never had an issue and they are literally like $25 and guests give me 5 stars.  I love it!  Now, to be clear, I ensured mattresses were new, furniture was new/nice, so the entire package is solid.  But I didn't have to buy $200 sheet sets thank goodness because they get used/abused and replaced. I'm grateful for Amazon!

Grey is the magic colour! I started out with white towels/sheets, that does not last long. Grey is a nice color, goes with everything, it's modern and clean - and hides marks/stains.

However, this is still an issue. The bigger issue is that when people do stain the linens there is often not time in between visits to replace so have had two guests note that the towels were dirty when it was a mark (looked like bleach even though we don't have any in the condo).

I have scaled back on extra towels, etc as guests would use of them and it was taking far too much time to wash everything for the cleaners. Now I offer 1 face towel, 1 bath towel per guest + 2 extra and bedding for each of the available beds and that is all. This not only reduces waste, has saved time on cleaning.

Hi Stella, try using colored bed linen (Microfiber 100% polyester) it's very durable it helps lively-up the room and it's easier to keep clean/wash,  I have never used white cotton sheets.

Towels are the only thing I have in white and my secret to keeping them that way (white) is to soak them in Napisan and Tide or Breeze, trust me it works.

Regards

Kirk

I've found the lowest priced sheets that they sell at Target to be just fine. I actually like them better than the higher priced sheets that they sell. More important to just iron the part of the sheet that folds over the covers. Also use fabric softener.

People perceive white as being the cleanest -- They've done studies. Just be sure to wash with the full level of detergent, bleach (important every wash to maintin whiteness), again fabric softener, the hottest setting (important for the bleach to work better) and double rinse (to get the bleach smell out better) if your washer has that setting.

HI. I'm new at this too but I was lucky to get to a spotlight store sale and bought 1000 thread sheets fabulous price $39 and Kmart towels are pretty good too.

I'm in Queensland and it's starting to get hot and wondered if anyone had suggestions on the use of air cons. I thought that I could put a note in my house rules asking that because of the rising cost of energy that I would appreciate guests using the air con as they would in there own homes or should I just put the price up for the summer. Any thoughts

Just charge a bit more, otherwise you sound stingy and cheap to some, some will be thrifty in their usage, and some might be offended.  And you cna relax, and enjoy your guests, especially the ones that arent used to hot weather!

The Company Store. Best cotton sheets. 

Janie30
Level 2
Northern Territory, Australia

Hello Stella,

I'm also in Darwin where I manage my airbnb homes.

And as you know our tropical climate is very hard on everthing including sheets.

My suggestion to you, is if you are a frequent visitor to Bali  ( most of the population of Darwin are)  we go annually so I actually buy all my bed linen from the department stores there. And have found the "bella nova" linen to be good quality and  very durable. Indonesians make excellent sheets.

And as i do all the washing  I always use good quailty liquid detergent. (often wool wash ).

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards

Janie

We've found that the Target 400 thread count sheets wash well and are a good price, considering you do run the risk of replacing them from staining, rather than wear and tear.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Suzanne302, I have spent money on decent sheets.  Initially I went for brand name sheets from Marshalls, (Calvin Klein, Hilfiger etc.) but I had a run of guests using some cosmetic which bleached them and made them unusable, which made me really sad.  But I recently discovered Target's "Threshold 350 count cotton sheets and they are very nice but also robust.  I get patterned ones so that every little stain doesn't show so badly.  I also have some patterned microfiber sheets I got at Christmas Tree Shop which have held up really well. For bedspreads I go cheap but cheerful - Xmas tree again has been a good source, and also Ocean State Job Lot (may be a regional chain...).  I've also gotten colorful pillow shams from secondhand stores and those bring a lot of color to my place.  I guess I'm going for "shabby chic" or something along those lines.  Also paintings (real) from secondhand shops and some art from Ikea.small version of studio.jpg

Much of my furniture is from Ikea - I sanded and stained some wooden beds and a dresser, and they look nice. I had two great mattresses (pillow top) and I also bought two more of those expanding foam ones from Amazon (they come in a big roll and expand when you cut the plastic off).  Here's my "look" - I had a lot of fun with this and I keep looking for good bedspreads and decent sheets. I'm gradually replacing some of my earlier sheet "mistakes" with better ones and the Target ones have been a great find.  Enjoy!

Susie

@Susie5Your space looks adorable! Love it!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susie5    I agree about the patterned sheets. I know there's a lot of hosts who insist that white is the way to go, but I like that the little stains don't show on patterned or colored sheets, and in my case, like yours, it goes fine with my decor style.

I love colourful patterns and bold sheet colours and the feedback has been fantastic. The best thing is that stains are less of a problem. My first sheet sets were percale and light coloured and boy was that a mistake! Ironing was a nightmare so cotton mix is the way to go. I love hunting for bed spreads on sale in stores like tk maxx and it has become a bit of an addiction. That and decorative cushions, there is hardly any space for anyone on the couches and beds!