What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

As a new host, I'm curious to know what you veteran hosts recommend putting money into in the very beginning, and what items you think can wait until you've made some extra cash? Or items that it's okay to go cheap on at the beginning (and perhaps upgrade down the road) without too much of a negative impact on guests/bookings?

i.e., I splurged on some really comfy sheets, but went cheap on a new bedspread. Not sure if that was wise or not, but as a guest I appreciate nice, soft sheets!

81 Replies 81
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

In Canada there is a chain called Winners and I imagine there are similar stores in the US and other countries. They sell everything from clothes to shoes to luggage to housewares, bedding and towels. It is all new, mostly brand-name stuff, Calvin Klein, Yves St. Laurent, Hilfigger, etc. It ends up there because it was end-of-the-line, last year's fashion colors (as if I could care), or stock from stores that closed down. I've found great deals there, and they often have separates- so you don't have to buy a whole sheet set if you don't need it. I find that top sheets and pillow cases last way longer than the fitted bottom sheets, and as I do mix/match top and bottom sheets anyway,  I like being able to buy fitted sheets separately.

@Sarah977Sounds like TJ Maxx and Marshalls in the U.S. and I love those stores!

Yup that's what I was thinking and that is where we got our $20 sheets that feel like top hotel sheets!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susie5   I love your cozy little space as well- I'd be super happy there.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Suzanne302I love bright colors on sheets and towels. I have found it best to get high thread count Egyptian Cotton sheets and thick, cotton towels. I like cheap luxury and buy items on sale at discount outlets, or during big sales at department stores.  I use Method HE soap, in cold water, and have not had a problem with staining and everything is holding up well.

I recommend that you either have a good quality mattress, or add a memory foam type mattress topper. Guests will thank you in the morning for a magical night's sleep.  And happy guests write good reviews.

Cover your mattress with a cover to prevent bed bugs and such.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Suzanne302. Sheets and towels are number one. I like patterned sheets as they hide little stains. Like the others I'm constantly on the look out for sales. Good mattresses and mattress covers. As far as the furniture and other accessories, most of mine is second hand and repurposed.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Quality pillows &  mattresses (but well protected) . 

haha @Fred13   I was just thinking how no men had replied to this thread yet. Here's to ya, guy!

I entered the room because it was full of women, and then had to come up with 'something' that sounded somewhat relevant. 😄

My ex once said he didn't see the point of men's groups, as it wouldn't be any fun if there weren't any women allowed.

My sentiments exactly. 'Enemy' territory is always more exciting. 😉

We need more icons than just a thumbs up. Thanks for the laughs, Fred 🙂

We have good quality protectors for the mattress and pillows. Sheets & covers we got clearance sale items from fairly good (local) brands. Towels we also bought good quality fluffy hand and bath towels in bulk - different colors for guest use and our own personal use. Furniture and knick-knacks are mostly IKEA or similar 🙂 

Do you suggest wash cloths or provide bath sponges / loofahs?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

I can't possibly see @Fred13 as the lone sheep here facing a pack of wolves!

You are all on the right track with regard to concentrating on bedding as the pivotal thing in a listing.

When my wife was finally diagnosed with MS we decided to travel and spent the best part of 6 years doing just that. When a catastophe overtakes your life you put aside those thoughts of, 'Oh one day when we have the house paid off, the new car, the kids through school, we will get around to it and do that. We are slaves to our existence.

When that major issue comes along you realise that..... 'things' come and go, but memories are forever, and that is when you turn your life around!

We stayed in countless hotels, motels, BnB's, caravan parks, ships cabins, and to me, the bed itself became the hero of any accommodation and that is why I poured as much money as I could into my listing bed. It is heaps better than my own bed, but it needs to be, it is money in the bank, it is where the future bookings come from! If a guest gets a great nights sleep they are prepared to overlook other shortcomings in the listing....if they roll around on an uncomfortable piece of rubbish there is no way they will give you a good review.

@Suzanne302, I have 800 thread count cotton sateen sheets! I buy them from Spotlight here in Australia when they have a special on them....they rarely cost more than $80 per set and I buy in pastel shades. I find subtle coloured linens will last considerably longer than white, and they look more inviting. I have cool colours, Blue, pastel green for the summer time.....warm colours of yellow,  grey, mauve for the winter time. I have 5 sets of linens and  in 3 years of hosting I have never had to write a set of linens off because of wear and tear or any other reason. They all still look and feel just great.

800 thread count cotton is a b*tch to iron but I can't tell you how nice it feels to slip into pressed high thread count satiny feel sheets at the end of the day. You have to experience it to truly appreciate it.

Forget about top end lounges, outdoor settings or coffee machines, put your money into the bed....it will be worthwhile.

Cheers.......Rob