What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

As a new host, I'm curious to know what you veteran hosts recommend putting money into in the very beginning, and what items you think can wait until you've made some extra cash? Or items that it's okay to go cheap on at the beginning (and perhaps upgrade down the road) without too much of a negative impact on guests/bookings?

i.e., I splurged on some really comfy sheets, but went cheap on a new bedspread. Not sure if that was wise or not, but as a guest I appreciate nice, soft sheets!

81 Replies 81

Durable is the key for me. I like good quality sheets, and covers that will hold up to washing after every single visit; so that each guest receives the utmost in comfort and cleanliness. Plan on replacing pillows periodically. Sounds like you did well. 

I purchased my sheets and towels from Costco. The sheets are less than $20 and come with 4 pillow cases. They fit the mattress perfectly and I have had multiple compliments and questions as to where I purchased them. They are very soft and wash well. I also purchased all of my towels there and they were at most $8 a bath towel. Word of advice...go with white...you can bleach them! Has been working great for us for a year now.

Patricia

thank you!

Alexander516
Level 2
Connecticut, US

Definitely the bed and the bathroom toiletries is where you want to splurge.  Costco has a Hotel line that they sell 6 bath towells and 6 hand towels (all white) for 22 bucks.  Yhey are very good quality and size.

Sheets, I have bought different ones.  Grey are good too.  I love when I go to a hotel and they have Hermes toiletries. I wish I could put those at my place! LOL

People also appreciate a lot if you leave them some nespresso capsules.

Teresa616
Level 2
Greenwich, CT

I'm justr getting started in CT. Would you start with a duvet or comforter? And, I'm using my three kids bedrooms, they are all at college, and how much of their personal affects should I get rid of? My first group of guests asked if they could play Monopoly and Uno. Do they expect me to play with them? I'm brand new to this!  Thank you!!

@Teresa616  You should have 4 listings one for each room and then the group booking for 6. Then Link the listings so you do not over book. Change your cancellation policy to at least moderate, so you avoid last minute cancellations and changes. Your price for 1 person is $64 yet your extra guest rate for each additional person to 2-6 is $75 per person, very unusal to have the extra guest fee higher than the actual guest fee. Your at $439 for 6 people per night that's too high. Based on the quick look I did for your area, I would use a max. of $55-65 for guest 1 and $25-35 for guest 2 per room. The 3 rooms together I would say $165 for all 3 rooms with $25 per guest over 3.  

Anything of sentimental value or just plain old value should be removed. Box it up and get it out of the rooms as it might get damaged or turn up missing, better safe than sorry. I personally prefer comforters and bedspreads, but the issue with them is you need to have 3 identical ones for each bed minimum. I have 4 as I do sameday bookings just to be safe. Current guests use one, back up for emergency and another for the new incoming guests to have while the old guests comforter or bedspread is washed or drycleaned. So if space or money is an issue, I would go with the duvets. Since it's a group coming in I am sure you will not be asked to join them. If they do ask it's up to you. I am sure you are aware asking about those two games that they would expect you to have them there for their use. Hope some of this helps. The forum is great to get answers and help from other hosts, but you will get more responses if you start a new conversation on your topic. It's a red box on the top right hand corner of the main page. 

@Teresa616

I got a $20 comforter at Homegoods (TJ Maxx/Marshalls) and it has held up great for nearly non-stop guests since May and it gets washed in between each guest.

I would get rid of ALL personal effects from the room. If that's an issue, you could always place all personal effects in the closet and place a sign that says "private." But guests usually want to feel at home in the room, and want to know that everything in the room is for their use. 

I don't think the average guest expects you to play games with them, but then again, every guest is different!

This forum is full of knowledgeable hosts and I recommend you read through as many posts as you can! Welcome and I hope you enjoy hosting!

I started with comfortors but if I were to do it over again I would do a Duvet as the cover is easier to clean.  It will be something that I upgrade to later on.

I would get rid of all personal effects in the rooms that way you can be at ease and they can feel more comfortable.

I can't imagine they would expect you to play with them and if they did that would be an unrealistic ask.  But if they invite you and you actually want to....why not??

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

I have women only in my rooms but allow men in my private suite.  I may be wrong but I think women care more about the sheets and towels than men so I did the same as you because this would be important to me.  Quality sheets & towels.  I have 4 pillows on each bed and 2 are good quality and 2 are amazing quality (marshmallow clouds).  My heavy bed covers look great but they are cheap for sure.  I do however have a nice quality quilted thin blanket as not everyone wants a big comfortor and for some people they want even more than the comforter.  Most of the art in my rooms I found at garage sales or Goodwill for just dollars and the beds and furniture are all used but the mattresses are high quality.

To furnish the kitchen in my suite I got great appliances and dishes but all the accessories and cutlery, coffee press etc. I cheaped out on.  The furniture and TV was all Kijiji or Facebook marketplace but I only bought stuff I would want to have, great quality but it was all pre-used, cheap and easily cleaned. (I got wood and leather because it was easier to clean than cloth after buying and will be easy to keep clean) and again with the accessories I used some of what I had but most of it is bargan basement stuff that I found poking in and out of shops.

Leslie328
Level 1
Illinois, United States

After hearing the bed was too soft, hard, just right we splurged on a sleep number bed. People are so appreciative of having a comfortable bed. 

I splurge on the linens for the bedroom and bathroom,  (always in hotel white).  Never have a problem with stains or keeping them white but do occasionally give them a soak in borax or other whitening products, (not bleach).  I Never iron,  i buy 600 thread count. I just hang them in the house to dry or spritz the wrinkles out with warms water.  I rotate two sets of sheets and three sets of towels.  The mattress and pillows are very important, it’s all about getting a good nights sleep.

a good t.v. Is important as is a comfortable sofa. 

So is providing a comfortable temperature.  I provide extra fans and space heaters to allow the guest to personalize the air in there space.

i don’t provide soap or shampoo as guests usually bring there own.  Plus it gets expensive.

I also no longer provide milk, cream, etc. Due to all of the speciality food diets and allergies, guests were t using them.  I now just provide water.

little things like a map of the city, lint brush, etc. are appreciated. 

No one ever reads my Airbnb on line ‘guidebook’ so I provide tips for local amenities as well as our wifi access and a local map on a laminated sheets of paper in the room.  

Diane491
Level 2
Athens, NY

I got really tired of washing black mascara out of my bath linens. There are a lot of wedding venues by me and I get a lot of wedding guests. So I bought a dozen black makeup wash cloths on Amazon, and provide a selection of quality makeup removing products. Worth every penny. It

almost completely eliminated the laundry headaches and my guests love it!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I believe all guests are looking for a great nights sleep above everything else.

there are many elements that contribute to that but by far the most important is the mattress!

I have a £500 habitat mattress that I bought when they were having a 25% discount day and a further discount on top, and it really offers an amazing nights sleep- you just feel like you’re floating or suspended in air. 

Nearly all my guests comment that they have had the best nights sleep...and guests that have had a great nights sleep are happier, leave better reviews and forgive more little issues that those that have had a metal spring stuck in their back all night 🙂 

I would say get the best possible mattress you can afford (plus a waterproof mattress protector to safeguard it)

Would I buy the most luxurious sheets and linens? No, because these could be damaged and stained so easily, and in the grand scheme of things don’t contribute that much to the quality of sleep.

Lynette85
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hello So I am planning on getting back into hosting. At first I hosted for 2 russian guys who owend several properties in LA but I did not like how they did not buy the right things. So I will share a few tips and hope for in exchange a few tips as well. Because this time around I will be hosting for my self which mean I have to actually work the account and book nights and be in charge of buying things. I feel that designing was easy when someone else is paying for it lol. but now its my turn ....And I have a decent size studio. I want to be able to switch the theme in between guests booking so I  would require alot of transitional items. I already ordered bedding off of amazon. But as far as making the place look and feel comfy do I buy all that new or should I hit the Thrift Shops  for more worn (gently used ) comphy pieces?

I saw this Big rug at my local thrift it was 20$ but I've seen a similar one upwards of almost 300$ if I get stuff from thrift depending on the item like rugs or chairs I may not be able to properly clean those items. and I dont want to take that risk if I'm going to have random people from around the world staying there.

And my tips are :

Use a steamer after each guest/s leaves this prevent unwant creatures that like to bite people. My grandma actually taught me that. take all the preventative messures before it even gos there. '

DO CLEAN AFTER EVERY GUEST!!! I interacted with some other hosts who, they would change the sheets and empty the trash BUT will not clean the carpet (if applied) and not clean the bathrooms regularly. and dishes.... I boil my dishes. I have all glass dishes. To be honest my house is basically a zero / minimum waste house. Thats how I had to do it becaus ethe guests will leave more garbage and trash the place and then say "it your responsibility you the host." But lord forbid we ask if we can go over to they're place and do the same rude things. 

And I would reccomend a mandatory 2 day booking if you have prices lower than 80$, and the guest can not book for more than 15 days at a time. If you are in the USA then you know there are such things as "squatter" or "Possesors" Who see an affordable place and try to book as if they want to move in. And one time I had a guests trying to make me let them stay for cheaper bacause of some sob story. At this time however I did not control any listings I just checked in guests and maintained the property. BUT PLEASE DO NOT DO WHAT THE OWNER I HOSTED FOR DID. AND FALL FOR THAT BS SOB STORY.

Even if you have vacancies.  its okay to be accomodating but if your check out is 11am. Then they need to leave and find somewhere else. I've seen so many host be leaniant and then those guests will report them and say disrepctful things and lie .... So be strong in how you run your property.

I have never heard of steaming sheets. Washing them should take care of any issue. I would hope you are not suggesting steaming instead of washing.