What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?

As a new host, I'm curious to know what you veteran hosts recommend putting money into in the very beginning, and what items you think can wait until you've made some extra cash? Or items that it's okay to go cheap on at the beginning (and perhaps upgrade down the road) without too much of a negative impact on guests/bookings?

i.e., I splurged on some really comfy sheets, but went cheap on a new bedspread. Not sure if that was wise or not, but as a guest I appreciate nice, soft sheets!

81 Replies 81
Norman21
Level 2
New York, NY

I buy the Grandview Hospitality brand of white towels, hand towels and wash cloths at Costco. They are cheap and decent quality. There are three main reasons:

Reasons one and two: bleach. You can bleach out stains either spot treatment or adding bleach to the wash. Second, bleach disinfects. It gets rid of germs. 

Reason three: Theft. This was my original reason to switch. When I was buy nice, quality, textured, patterned and color towels, I had a lot of theft. Not only did it cost a lot but the time to keep track of inventory and shop for replacements was daunting.

The same is true of sheets, but finding pure white sheets at Costco is harder. I agree with others here that Amazon is pretty good for that. I like to buy sets with extra pillowcases because they get stained more quickly.

Going back to Suzanne's original question in this thread: "What to splurge on and what to buy cheap?" 

I would like advice on what queen size bed and mattress to buy that can be delivered. Of course durability and cost are the most important factors. Also desks, desk chairs, desk lamps, bed stands, bed stand lamps, floor lamps and living room couches are all important choices I need to make periodically. 

Erin5835
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Do y’all provide wash cloths or bath sponges / loofahs?  Thanks!

Erin5835
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Sofa Covers? Yay or nay?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Erin5835  Wash cloths definitely. And it's also a good idea to provide black ones for make-up removal (you can find these online, with "Make-up" embroidered in them).

Sofa covers will certainly make your cleaning life easier. And prevent damages. Easier to throw a slipcover in the wash than have to get furniture shampooed or professionally cleaned. 

Erin5835
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Thanks. RE: make-up removal, I am thinking the make-up remover wipes. They work so well! But black wash cloths = good idea.

@Erin5835  Lots of hosts provide both. One issue with the wipes is that some guests will flush them instead of throwing in the  garbage, and plug up the plumbing, so be clear about what mustn't be flushed. 

GREAT point!!