What types of pillows and cushions do you put on your guests’ beds?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What types of pillows and cushions do you put on your guests’ beds?

Cushions.jpg

As we all know, a good pillow can really make a difference to whether we have a good night’s sleep or not (and whether we wake up with a sore neck!). The way pillows and cushions are arranged on a bed can also have a big impact on how the bedroom looks and whether the bed seems comfortable.

What kind of pillows/cushions do you have on your and your guests’ beds and how do you arrange them ?

Everyone has their own preferences for the type of pillow they have and whether or not they have cushions, it will be interesting to see your replies!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

14 Replies 14
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Stephanie You're singing my song - I'm a pillow freak.  I usually put out seven pillows - two standard pillows, two king pillows, two square decorative pillows, and a long decorative body pillow or bolster.  I prefer really good quality down pillows because they suit all types of sleepers.  But I have hypoallergenic pillows as well for those who request them.

Here's the king size bed at my Airbnb:

TF_master_bedroom_small.JPG

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72  can I just dive in a sleep for a few days? No? 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie Yes, it's all yours.  🙂

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Beatiful arrangement of pillows @Ann72 !

It is kinda 5 Stars Hotels ! You have upscale listings! 🙂

@J-Renato0 Awwwww 😘

You are welcome any time 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Now that is luxury, @Ann72. I could probably get the footprint of my entire house in that room!

@Gordon0 Ha!  The photographer probably squashed himself up against a door frame and used a special lens to take it, but thank you!  :):):)

Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

I have different kind of pillows...some people like super soft and thin pillows (like my husband) and some like fluffy (like me)...and some people may find them unconfortable no matter what : )

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Stephanie 

I really like that pillow configuration in your picture. It is the perfect (cheap) solution to no bed frame.

So often times, with no bed frame the pillows fall through the space inbetween the mattress and wall.

However, I just don't know if I could risk being so non-standard.

Things like this are great when designed for a photo shoot, but...

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stephanie 

if we can't raise our prices we have to cut the expenses.

if we have a tight turnover time window then everything has to be simple and easy to clean.

if we want to preserve our planet we have to be careful with the usage of water, electricity, detergents...

The average stay at our apartments is just 2 nights. We can host up to 8 guests at the time so it is a lot of laundries and we are paying a laundry service.

We have 2 pillows per guest and we leave 1 on the bed and 1 in the closet so if the guest needs it he can use it, if not then it will be there for the next guest. Our pillows are ordinary pillows from IKEA with protector case + pillowcase. They are easy to wash and to replace in case of the damage. Nobody ever complained about them so it works.

As @Paul154 said, 7 pillows on the bed look good on the picture but.... why? As a guest, it would be just a drag for me to remove them and store in the closet so I can lay down and sleep. I am a simple girl and I love minimalism 🙂

aaaaaa.jpg

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Though some people find decorative pillows useless space wasters which end up on the floor (true) they are really useful in making the bed a less dominant feature. The bed is such a big block of a thing in the room unless the room is gigantic, and it reduces the visible size to have pillows. Same effect as a throw at the foot of a bed, which shrinks it from the other end.

I personally hate decorative pillows........ they take up so much space and I never know where to put them when I want to sleep 🙂 Henry and I have 1 pillow each (mine is a cooling gel memory foam pillow, Henry has a microbead cloud pillow). No decorative anything on our bed - we're both very functional people and don't care much about aesthetics. 

For our single occupancy guest room, we provide 1 larger hypo-allergenic pillow, 1 smaller down pillow, and 1 square cushion. 

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

We place one memory foam pillow and one feather filled pillow on all our Airbnb guest beds. In front of those, we place a medium-sized decorating/staging pillow for the look. At the bottom of the bed, we fan a thin blanket across which brings the whole bed together.

If you guys are looking for what pillows hotels use then check out www.airbnbuniverse.com/airbnb-pillows 

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I have 4 sets of pillows. One is natural latex. Its for the "green", "eco", etc. fanatics. Believe it or not,they are very common. One is memory foam, one is poyester/silicone wool (IKEA) and one is...no name material, some kind of recycled fabrics or similar, the case is made of very cheap, non-woven fabric. One pillow costs  1-2$ and "lives" no more than a month, if used daily. To wash this thing is impossible. I think that they are hospital pillows or foot pillows.

Guess which one is the most used....

Yep! The cheapest !

Why? No idea ! Its an airbnb phenomenon.