What was the most absurd thing you lost a star for?

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

What was the most absurd thing you lost a star for?

I just had a guest leave me 5 stars on all individual questions, told me he loved his stay and plans to stay here next time. But gave me a 4 stars overall. Why? Well he did that because I don't have an eletronic gate at the garage... (I do plan to put one, but I'm undergoing renovations at the moment, but come on...).

What is the most absurd reasons guests have given you for four or less stars?

41 Replies 41
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Luana130  The most absurd overall 4 star I got is from a guest who gave me all fives and told me that she made a mistake in hitting the 4 for overall. And AirBnb allows for that.

The most absurd individual category 3 star I got is from a guest who gave me 5 star overall but 2 star in both check-in and communication because I was not able to meet her at check-in. I sent self check-in instruction a couple of days before her check-in date.

Mark-and-Carin0
Level 3
Edinboro, PA

We had a Goldilox rate us 4 star because "the bed was too soft".

@Luana130  That's easy. Iwo equally absurd ones:

1 guest chose to walk past the back door of our house for two miles ignoring the directions given before messaging. Then dinged us on location *and check in* .

2. Dinged on cleanliness because we had dogs (which are pictured in the listing's featured photos) because "I didn't realise you had dogs". Apparently they are "unclean" in his faith, although that doesn't seem to bother other people of his faith who stay with us, or our vet, also of the same faith.

Both filed under "clowns who cant read a listing"

I still don't know what goes on in the heads of people who rate all the details five stars then give you three overall.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Had a guest unhappy that there was not seating in the living room for her 2 "unregistered guests".  She booked the house for a group of 6, our maximum occupancy.   Then she had two locals come over for a visit.  The living room has a large sofa and one side chair.  The dining table, about 10 feet away, has 2 arm chairs and 4 side chairs.  The kitchen table has 6 more chairs.  There are 2 more chairs, one each in 2 of the bedrooms.  That is a total of 14 additional chairs in the house.  She also did not like that the kitchen has no window curtains.(personal decor choice) 

@Linda-And-Richard0  Maybe they were planning an orgy in the kitchen (didn't want to mess up the carpeting or bedding with oil and all, and get charged for damages) and the lack of curtains squashed their plans. Bet you never considered that  🙂

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Luana130 Just got a 1* for check in because guest believes it was too late for them. Upon booking asked them about it and they said yes- no problem... apparnetly it was a problem. 

I mention it in my listing 5/6 times and upon or after booking- and state « please read entire listing and rules ». Arghh- this is getting frustrating... I work 17 hour days sometimes, I do not have time to greet people and have everything ready for 2pm because that’s what a hotel offers. If they want this, then pay for a hotel! Honestly 🥵

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I rent an 8'x20' tiny house built out of a shipping container. It's listed as a TINY HOUSE and many people come just to try staying in a tiny house. 

This young-ish girl (19 or 20 maybe?) told me she adored tiny houses and always wanted to stay in one. She booked & brought her brand new boyfriend with her for an overnight stay. She evidently didn't think this out because the bathroom is literally 8 feet away from the bed! Yes, there's a door but sounds and smells still emanate freely. LOL

We all know how in new relationships you try to hide that human side of yourself. 5 years later, you're farting in front of your mate and laughing about it. 

She gave me a 3 in a category and wrote in a comment to airbnb that the "size of my home" was a problem and because there was not enough privacy!

So, I got dinged because my tinyhouse is tiny. LOL!

Natalia820
Level 2
United States

Here are my top 3:

1. " One month love affair with your apartment had ended because the postman rung the door bell" Here is 4*

2. "Neighbors were having Christmas Dinner"

Ho ho ho!!!  4*

3. And all time favorite off-course: ask and get HUGE discount, ask and get Early Check-in, Flowers, Chocolate, Tea for your arrival, then move all the furniture and contents of the cupboards. Review full of complaints and 3* to boot. 

Sharon493
Level 4
Fabrezan, FR

I just lost TWO stars on my overall rating because my brand new mattress was too hard! FFS, Goldilocks!

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

@Sharon493 I got that complaint as well (in private, thank god). The mattress is two months old, I bought it the way I like it, soft but firm. I'm considering buying a pillow top for it...

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

"The only negative is there was no lint trap on the dryer." 
Narrator: "There was a lint trap."

Dee226
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

The most absurd rating I have ever received was for not having a king bed when the listing clearly states the space has a queen bed and they understood that while booking. Oh well... 😐