What would you change about this listing?

Matthew346
Level 2
Greenville, SC

What would you change about this listing?

I'd love feedback on what you'd change about my listing. Description, pictures, details, pricing, whatever 🙂

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22691705

Thank you!

13 Replies 13
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Matthew346I think your listing looks really good: just a few suggestions. 

- Add more pictures. 7 is a low number: you should have over 20. You have no pictures of the bathroom, or the stove. There is nothing wrong with the pics you do have: just add more. Adding some pics of main street or your neighbourhood attractions is also a nice touch. You say you offer free coffee, tea, and snacks: add a nicely staged pic of that. Maybe the same for the barbeque area. 

- You say 5 or 6 people in the description, but your listing is set up to take a maximum of 5 guests. Fix either your description or your maximum number: you're asking for people to push the envelope with unregistered guests, in my opinion. 

- Further to that, I'd think about the kind of guest you're trying to attract. Your apartment looks like it would be perfect for 4 people, but you're advertizing for up to 6, potentially sleeping on air matresseses. I think that's encouraging partiers. Your place looks too nice for that, IMO. 

- I would eliminate "so it's like a hotel but a lot cheaper" from your first paragraph. Don't cheapen what you're doing. Again, it seems like you have a nice place: let it stand on its own merits.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Again, I think your place looks great. 

This is amazing! I love this so much. Thank you Alexandra. I'll get right on it.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Matthew346

Thank you for the opportunity to critique your place. You're very brave!

I don't know your market, but your price seems a little low. Demand a better guest by charging more. As @Alexandra316 said, get rid of "cheaper than a hotel"  It is assumed. You are better!

Also don't waste words on accomodating 5-6. You show you accept 5. How they figure to lay themselves out is their problem

Over time, learn to market a "lifestyle"  and photo tricks to market "lifestyle"

For example, I love your dog on the stoop. More dog, less everything else.

As is, your photos are very factual. You are proud of your offering and  show it exactly as it is.  

Strangely, this is not what people want.  Have you ever looked at the marketing for 

brand new condos?  They show people sipping coffee at some cafe, they hardly  show the unit.

Your cover photo of your sofa is too busy. Cords exposed. Unimportant shelf to the left. Where does my eye go? Where do you want my eye to go?

Less is more. Just show the sofa, table and view. Make the prospective guest say "Ah, I'd be so comfortable there."

You have a very nice place. Good luck

Your photo of you with your family is the most perfect "Lifestyle" example.

Guests respond very well to your big smile and your fooling around with your kids.

Paul, this is amazing feedback. AhhhhMazing. Thank you so much. I'm taking notes 🙂

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Matthew0. 0bviously a guy space. Well furnished but maybe too utilitarian.....get a girl with style to help you add a little color and some art. You want potential female guests to go ooooh because they do do the chosing. Your place looks great but lacks eye-candy.

Raise your prices a lot...35$ is silly and attracts younger party groups....you want to attract more upscale or rather more settled in life guests, ....people coming to visit their kid in college or couples back for a reunion or a wedding.or older students doing a short course at the university, tourists, stop-over snow birds. You have an excellent location and it is a lot less work and the same money to have fewer but more highly paid guests.

Is there a full length mirror any where? $10 bucks at Lowes or Home Depot. A few used paperbacks, a couple of colorful vases or catch-all platers. A very few dollars would brighten up the space immeasurably.

Incredible. Thank you Amy. I have prices low to get my first guests to get to super host status, but I think I'll start raising them soon. Your point about having better guests makes sense.

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

Show a few pictures of what there is to see and do in Greenville. Give them a reason to want to come to Greenville.

I have no idea what the market is like there, but I would think you would be able to get a lot more than $24 per night for an entire apartment.

Bob, super helpful. Thank you.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Matthew346 Your photo with the children is THE BEST ! totally love it......I think you have a really nice place.  I applaud you for wanting feedback as many don't and are offended if any is given.

I think you just need a few touches to make everything really awesome. In the thumbnail. Photo 1 - get curtains and hang them way up above the windows and it gives the room a larger look. You need color - like buy some artifical flowers with color - like yellow tulips or red roses  put on coffee table- the eye will go to the color -  a couple magazines also near the flowers....... place  a plate, napkin, glass of Orange juice on the table.  We want to make the photo look inviting, and someone will imagine themselves sitting there drinking juice....or on the sofa reading.

I like the way the beds are made - just add some color again in those rooms - sometimes it can be an inexpensive picture with something neutral, like a nature scene - or interesting designs......

Tossed pillows in a bright color can add alot. 

So what I'm talking about is staging the photos - people want to dream of coming and staying there and you have 8 seconds to get their attention. Must have color to grab their eye. I hope some of this makes some sense Matthew. I'll look again and see what else I can recommend.

my place for some ideas: www.airbnb.com/rooms/18711133 

You can see our places by clicking our profile photo and then it shows our listing under it.

Happy Hosting, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Matthew346 One more thing for you:  ideas for a new Title 

Beautiful, Cozy Apt. in a great location 

Cozy, Priv Apt & great location

**NEW Cozy Apartment, beautiful with super location

some ideas - you don't need to put the location use your words to describe -some words from your reviews, your guest will tell you what to put - and folks

are searching your area so don't need to put where you are. 

have fun, Clara

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am in slight disagreement to showing people (apart from host & family) enjoying a space. It is a question of identifying, when you see people who are not YOU, you can think it is not FOR you if that makes sense. Also, it makes the place look used by someone else. We all know it is used, but every guest must feel like there is nobody else. Much like a relationship! You know there have been others, but the less you know about them the better...

Some accom show pics of two people drinking champagne in a spa. This makes me turn off faster than anything. Just an example. But you have been given some great advice here, all the best with the hosting! Haven't looked at your listing yet, I will if I have time later but I must go and clean my own accom now...

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Your flat looks lovely!

But I would like more pictures. You do not show the bathroom. As a guest, I wonder why? It is terrible? 🙂

More pictures of the rooms. You do not show wardrobes / drawers. Where would I put my clothes?

Kitchen ; show the fridge / cooker.

I hope this helps.