Whats next for host

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

Whats next for host

I hope I'm wrong but I think this virus is going to have crippling affect on the whole industry maybe even put it out of business all together . It has been just a few weeks since the first person tested positive for the virus in Washington and I have had a massive drop in new bookings and several cancellations and a few guest contact me giving me a heads up that they will be canceling. I admit I am not an expert on the whole thing and my only source of information has been the media. It doesn't look like the government banning all travel into the US and maybe across the country is as hard to believe as it was just a few short weeks ago. With so much of my business coming from conventions and sporting tournaments my future in short term renting looks bleak to say the least. And like I said I am no expert but from what I understand there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't heard of anything that needs to happen in order for it to stop. I know they are working on  a vaccine but even when they do come up with one its going to take months to produce mass quantities and get it distributed across the country. Then when that happens and the virus is no longer an issue I imagine its going to take time for people to start traveling again and get back to where it was before the virus hit. So its my opinion host need to start planning for life without short term renting and the income they receive from it for a couple of years at least and maybe for good. This is all speculation on my part and if it ends up I dont know what I am talking about, or my timeline isn't accurate which there is a good chance that's the case  please let me know.  

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree that there will be a huge hit on the travel/hospitality industry and don't have any better sense of the timeline.  My listing is in an event driven area as well, @Sam397   so as the events return so will the business.  I think when the shows and sports events return, there will be a pent up desire to attend. What might have a longer impact is the general economic down turn that might reduce the spending power of the general population.  I also think there will be a perception that when people start traveling again, they are going to look for deals and they are going to get them.  We all might need to reduce our prices for the near future.

Tim-and-Natalie0
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

We have had 3 cancellations for May due to cancellations of sporting events. This is going to hurt for awhile I’m afraid. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Today our authorities declared State of Emergency over COVID-19 virus. The state of emergency will be enforced for one month. This is the first time a state of emergency is enacted here since the World War II.

The prime minister told parliament after the vote, that the specific measures under the state of emergency will be defined by the end of the week. They will include travel bans and shutting down borders, schools, universities, entertainment establishments and accommodation places... Working from home whenever possible, will also be included in the package of measures.

The scope of the travel ban will be decided on the basis of recommendations from the Health Ministry.

The situation is not good and for sure, it will get worse. When you see any statistical data for the number of people, infected by the virus, you must know, that this information is at least 2 weeks old. So, there is no "actual" information about the number of people  infected, anywhere in the world. If the number of new cases drop, the life will go back to normal very soon.