Whats wrong with a 4star review? Nothing!

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Whats wrong with a 4star review? Nothing!

I find it funny that people get so offended or upset over a 4star review in any category. Someone posted she actually asks guests privately why they gave 4stars. Really? I would think doing that would make them not want to come back - just my opinion.

Lets not be so hard on ourselves (or other people) by remembering...4stars is still a good "score"! 5stars means PERFECT, so maybe they didnt think every category was PERFECT. Thats their perrogative. PERFECT means something different to every single individual.

Stop stressing over the little stuff. And maybe stop interrogating people over a 4star review. Its not worth the stress. 4stars means almost perfect - whats wrong with that? Nothing!

72 Replies 72

X

Well said Willow

My original post was meant to commend ppl for having a 4star place instead of them feeling bad or like failures. There’s so much unnecessary pressure to be a 5star host or this superhero super host like WHY?? What happened to just do the best you can and if you get a 4 just appreciate it! Perfection ie: 5 stars is different to every guest. I have fives and I have fours. Doesn’t bother me in the least. 

Perhaps hosting is not for everyone if it bringing them more stress than goodness. 

Do the best you can that’s all you can do and know that not everyone will give 5 stars as that is their right. 

But I think I will unfollow this post. Turned into something I didn’t expect. Stress! LoL 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Diane0 I wonder how many super hosts will be losing their badge next month because of a few 4* reviews you think they shouldn't stress over getting. with my guest that checks in today I will qualify for super host next month provide I don't get a bad review from her. If my next 3 guest give me 4* reviews my 5.0 * rating drops to 4.75 * rating and I would lose super host status all because of 3 of 12 guests thought my place was good, not great. 

Lastly my opinion is that people place too much importance on superhero super host status. If you let that go and just be the best you can be then you might relive yourself of all the stress & pressure to live up to this made up title. 

s

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

My son-in-law, who travels on business, and several of my guests have told me that when booking on airbnb, they only book with Superhosts, so apparently it does count for something with some guests. 

I really doubt that any hosts identify as some sort of superheroes because they made the grade as Superhost. We didn't make up that category, airbnb did, and airbnb is the one that promotes it to guests.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Let us not forget: With the addition and intentional, rather relentless promotion of 'Airbnb Plus', and the many, many commercial property managers and multi-property owners now listing on Airbnb (enticed by favorable policies that we 'traditional' hosts do not have access to - Would you believe 22 more commercially listed properties were added just this month in my small beach neighborhood and I am one of the last traditional hosts left here?), the Super Host filter is potentially *very* important to many hosts at this point, because there IS a filter that can be applied if a guest wants to stay with a Super Host. Given that this is one of the few 'advantages' we traditional hosts have left, those of us who would like to continue to benefit from this Super Host filter are wise to question the new 4.8 requirement (versus 80% 5 star reviews) that one must maintain to be a Super Host - And to question why guests are told that a 4 Star Overall is 'good' when we hosts know it is not.

Eddy-and-Family0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Because we May lose our superhost status and the only reason we get 4 star reviews, is because new users of airbnb do not understand the significance of how a 4 star review affects our status towards being a superhost. I get 4 star reviews from first time airbnb users all the time but not from people who have used airbnb and know and understand the significance of how hard it is to obtatain a superhost status. 

I dont find being a superhost important. And i think way too big of a deal is made out of it - ie your comment.

I don't think it's important either. In the grand scheme of things. People that are new to Airbnb may prefer it because they are nervous trying something new and rather book with a Host who is "credited" but my last listing was a 4.8 and I was constantly booked. It's all about location and ammenities at the end of the day. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Diane (still can't seem to tag on these posts), I might have agreed with you about Superhost status in the past, but I think it has become more important since Airbnb started highlighting it on our profiles. Before, most guests had no idea the scheme even existed, so the Superhost filter was pretty pointless. However, I now find that guests frequently mention the fact that I am one and some that they used the filter or that it was one of the reasons they chose my listing.

This IS important to me as there is an insane amount of competition in London and a listing needs to both stand out in the search results and come near the top of them. The reviews/ratings also affect position in those results, plus guests booking do notice the star ratings. Some have even told me they wouldn't book a listing with 4.5 stars, and why should they when they have plenty of 5 star listings to choose instead? I wouldn't.

Perhaps none of that is pertinent to someone who lives in an area or charges prices that mean they do not have a lot of direct competition, but for many hosts it is very relevant. A 4 or 4.5 star listing just doesn't cut it in my neck of the woods, unless it's at a bargain basement price.

Also, as someone who frequently updates their property, I'm looking forward to the Superhost reward of a free photo session each year, if Airbnb does indeed introduce this. The professional Airbnb photos of my listings are probably THE single most important factor in terms of bookings.

Do I get stressed when I get a 4 star review? Yes, I do, because I then need several 5 star ones to push my stats back up. Am I ashamed about getting stressed? No, not really. I treat this as a business and running a business is going to be stressful from time to time. Plus, it's a matter of personal pride to strive for those 5 stars.

You might be happy with 4 star ratings but it's a bit patronising to suggest that there's something wrong with hosts that aren't or that hosting is "not for them". 

Free photo sessions are not just for super hosts. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Diane, I'm not referring to the first free session. That is a 'one time offer' per listing and is at Airbnb's discretion. A lot of hosts have mentioned they were turned down when they applied for it. Even if you got one, if you then made a lot of changes to your property, you wouldn't qualify for another free session and those photos would be out of date.

I am talking about the additional free photo session as a reward for maintaining Superhost status for a year (an alternative to the travel credit we currently receive). This was announced by Airbnb in March as in the pipeline. This is really useful if you've updated your property. For example, I've already added two new bathrooms since my photos were taken and have more changes planned.

The 4.7 critera that other hosts have mentioned on this thread (plus a 4.8 one for Superhosts) were announced alongside this back in March. Perhaps you were not following those announcements at the time, but there was a lot of discussion in this community forum about them. It's all on record, and straight out of the horse's (Brian Chesky's) mouth in the video discussing these announcements. No one is making it up...

Also, I wouldn't take as gospel what one CS rep tells you. Just by reading these forums, you can see that reps contradict each other all the time.

Thank you for that information. But I don’t worry about it. 

I hope it works out tho for the rest of you 

Huma you are aso right about the Super Host filter. My oldest daughter who travels constantly will only book with Super Host now as the one time it was not one she got cancelled and it really screwed up her seminar trip. She also for the first time rented a in-law suite with a private bath and entrance in Nashville TN rather than an apartment and was very pleased with it, but still would not do a shared space.