Whats wrong with a 4star review? Nothing!

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Whats wrong with a 4star review? Nothing!

I find it funny that people get so offended or upset over a 4star review in any category. Someone posted she actually asks guests privately why they gave 4stars. Really? I would think doing that would make them not want to come back - just my opinion.

Lets not be so hard on ourselves (or other people) by remembering...4stars is still a good "score"! 5stars means PERFECT, so maybe they didnt think every category was PERFECT. Thats their perrogative. PERFECT means something different to every single individual.

Stop stressing over the little stuff. And maybe stop interrogating people over a 4star review. Its not worth the stress. 4stars means almost perfect - whats wrong with that? Nothing!

72 Replies 72
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-:-:-:

I don't think Airbnb will change as it seems to be working very well for them    Hosts are all up in arms and anxiety ridden about it.

I like Diane's attitude.

I think we will be waiting a long time on this thread before anyone who was actually delisted arbitrarily,  actually posts a legitimate gripe on the subject.

I certainly do hope Airbnb D-lists hosts who violate their terms and offer a shabby experience and poor value to their guests.

In the meantime overwrought, hysterical, overreacting, catastrophizeIng responses are somewhat the norm here especially whenever anyone disagrees with some of the the long time contributors to these forums some of whom seem to feel they have a proprietary interest in the airbnb forum. 

It really is a very small community of people who post regularly on this forum.   I have learned a great deal from them and I thank them for their contributions. 

Airbnb is certainly an imperfect entity in the world of business.  It is probably as flawed as we probably all are as individuals. 

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

@Sarah0,

And no, the "target" is not based on the average rating of all airbnb hosts, as far as I can tell. If it were, it would change somewhat daily or weekly or monthly. However, it NEVER changes.  

She has a point,  Willow was correct about the amount of host will  make a difference in the rating going up or down but you would think it would of changed at some point in the last year.

I do have a question, I have read a lot of host say that they got threatening emails when their rating dropped, has anybody ever had AirBnB suspend them or penalize them at all for their rating being below the mark? Other then their listing falling back in the order in which they are seen when searched. Which in my opinion is reason enough not to be satisfied with a 4 star rating.   From what I have seen the higher your rating you have the sooner your listing comes up in a search. If your in a area where there isnt a lot of BnB's this isnt to big of a deal, but if you do a search with no other filters other then the city where I live there are hundreds of places that come up. I have flipped through at least the first 20 pages of listings, ( I imagine is more then the average person will do before they choose a place) and I didnt see any 4 star rated listings. Your not going to get many bookings if people dont see your listing. And thats the reason I dont think 4 star ratings are a good thing. 

Maybe those threatening emails AirBnB sends are just scare tactics used to get host to improve their rating, but at least in the larger communities, a 4 star rating is going to have a negative affect on your bookings.

Sam, the "target 4,7" is quite new (1. April 2018) and a host rating period is 3 month. It means the new rating system will officially kick in 1. July 2018. I don't think no one really knows yet how airbnb will handle hosts with less than 4,7 etc. 

Ariane7
Level 6
Paris, FR

I think you have missed the point entirely. If you get a 4 star rating you risk getting your listings suspended. Each country has a different concept towards the star rating. In some countries a 5/5 simply means that they got what was described nothing more nothing less, a 4/5 would therefore mean it was not quite what had been described etc.. etc.. but in other countries a 3/5 means they got what was described and a 4/5 would mean better than described and a 5/5 much better than described. So since airbnb expect a host to get a continual 5/5 otherwise they suspend the listing, is unreasonable and unobtainable, since each person has their own concept of what 5/5 means.
Then you have to take into account that each person has a certain 'expectation' of what they read into an advert, if they are disappointed with their expectation then their rating is reflected in that, So although they might get exactly as described if they EXPECTED more then of course they are disspointed.
I have also found that when someone's expectations were NOT met then their ratings become a way to get revenge. For example a guest might be disapointed with the room for whatever reason and then give the worst score possible for everything. One time a guest gave me only a 2/5 for everything even the area location, when I am only 40 metre (yards) away from one of the best sandy beaches on the Northern coast of France, that is just nasty revenge.
If a guest truly wanted to help a host be a better host then they would make a private suggestion directly to the host and not make a public announcement in their ratings for everyone to see, this is just a way to shame and blame a host, it is not constructive at all. I have often bent over backwards to please a guest even given them an extra room for free and yet they still leave a bad evaluation just as revenge.
Once upon a time an evaluation was a good reflextion of the advert nowadays it has become very personal and is just revenge. I find more and more guests want to stay for free and although they say to me that they were happy and enjoyed their stay, after they leave they make false accusations and ask for a total refund. I'm thinking of giving up this host business as it is just impossible to please all of the people all of the time, especially as guests know that all it takes is a little complaint AFTERWARDS and they get reimbursed.

If a guest has a complaint they should first of all HAVE to make the complaint in writing to the host at that precise time, not once they have enjoyed their stay and then gone home. And if they haven't got proof that they made the complaint directly to the host then their demande for a refund should not even be considered. We (hosts) are continually at threat of dishonest guests who just want to stay for free, airbnb needs to protect the hosts, since it is the hosts that make them their money... but all a host gets is a threat that if their rating falls below 4 stars then they will be suspended... Also we get threats that if we refuse three reservation requests then once again we can be suspended, whatever happened to freedom of choice?...

Gail226
Level 2
Jamestown, NC

I didn't realize there was so much pressure to get a 5 star. I thought 4 stars was very good and I was being generous. We stayed in a place that the heat didn't work and the owner didn't allow us to use the oven on Thanksgiving. 

The place was nice, but did have those 2 issues. So I gave a 4.

The host private hateful messages to me calling me rude and blocking me from her properties. I thought she was out of control  Bizarre and hateful on her part. 

Hi @Gail226 🙂

5 stars just means that everything was as expected/described in the listing/houserules. It has nothing to do with luxury, having a seeview, posh area etc. Also always compare the price you paid/expectations. Airbnb expects every listing to have at least 4,7. 

A classic examble could be : I have had many guests arriving by car choosing my home especially because of free parking. They  rate me with 4 stars in location because my home is not in the citycenter. I'm very, very clear about the fact that I'm not located directly in the city center. They want free parking it's not possible in the citycenter but still downrates me 😞

Read this : He talks about 80% 5 star ratings. Airbnb changed it this Summer to be 4,7 (much harsher and without explaining how the system works to guests)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

Kind regards, Sandra

@Gail226 Private hateful messages from a host are most certainly unacceptable. Some people in this world are just nasty or mentally unstable, and there's going to inevitably be some of those who are hosts and some who are guests. One poor host who posted here had a guest in the private room she rents in her home completely trash her whole house when she was out, throw things all over, spilling stuff all over the floors and carpets, emptying trash cans all over the living room, then took photos of it all to prove to Airbnb that the place was a disaster and demand a refund. The host was appalled that anyone would do such a thing, as would we all be. 

Yes, the pressure on hosts to maintain a 5* average is ridiculous and unfair and also unfair to the guests, as most know nothing about this. I've had guests, when I told them how Airbnb rates hosts, be shocked and say they feel really bad, because they had given a couple places they stayed a 4* rating, thinking it was good- they liked the place and the host and would book there again, they had no complaints about the place and certainly didn't intend to damage the host's rating. They were upset that Airbnb leads them to think a 4* rating is good, they felt lied to.

I'd say a 4* rating was justified in your case of the place not having working heat. Must have been pretty uncomfortably chilly, no way to relax in there on your holiday.

Not using the oven might be another story- if a host does or does not allow use of the kitchen, or only allows it for light meals, or making a sandwich, that should be clear in their listing description. If it's not, the host is at fault, but often guests fail to fully read the description, the amenities list or "other things to note". Guests who make a bunch of demands for special exceptions in their pre-arrival messages are a red flag- entitled attitude, but there's nothing wrong with a guest sending a message like "I see you only allow kitchen usage for light meals, but being as it will be Thanksgiving, we would so much appreciate being able to use the oven to roast a turkey- you'd be welcome to join us or we could make you a to-go plate. I promise to clean the oven after. Please let me know if you'd be amenable to this, thank you." I don't imagine any sane host would take offense to this request, whether they were willing to accept it or not.

BTW, a guest can flag a host as well. If I were a guest and got an unwarranted hateful message from a host, ( a not 5* rating isn't grounds for that, a guest trashing the house or throwing an out-of-control party might be) I'd report it to Airbnb. 

We worked around the stove issue. We thought that was strange, but we knew that going in. Why I gave her a 4 was because we were freezing and the heat didn't work.

I really thought 4 meant very good not perfect because of the heat issue.

Anyways, I now understand that a 5 means so much more to the host that I originally thought. I appreciate your insight. 

Thank you 

@Gail226, most guests, especially newbies to Airbnb have no idea about the star rating system or that a 4-star review is considered 'bad' in the eyes of Airbnb. I didn't realize it myself until I became a host and Airbnb needs to address this, educating guests about it and/or lowering the 4.7 threshold, whereby they threaten to remove our listings from the platform if we fall below that number. 

I do not take it as they will remove your listing if you fall below 4.7.  What it says  is if you consistently get LOW ratings they will remove your listing. I have been at 4.6 for years. I don’t worry about it. 

@Dee9, the threat is the possibility and we have had testimonials here from hosts who have been removed and who receive constant threatening emails saying as much. 

Gail226
Level 2
Jamestown, NC

Thanks Sandra. 

AIRBNB is like marriage. It starts with a big party and only later you see that there is a catch.