When Disaster Strikes: Sewer Pipes, Existential Crisis, and Airbnb Saves the Day

Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

When Disaster Strikes: Sewer Pipes, Existential Crisis, and Airbnb Saves the Day

Last month of peak season. Booked solid. The cleaning cast member reports “smelly water” coming out of the wall, out on the patio where the guests just left from their morning smoke. The smell is unmistakable:

Sewage.

Thankfully, we use slack. I take a photo, put out the urgent call to my office manager, who’s off property for the morning.

“Got it” comes back as a reply.

Two hours later, my key team members are on site. Plumbers are making that face that you never want to see.

“This is big.” 

We have a collapsed sewage pipe that is probably 90 years old, at the back of our private casita, at the rear of the property. That somehow has also caused the pipe that must connect inside the wall at the patio, to start leaking.  

We ask if there is a remedial fix, to get the guests, who just arrived the day before, for a week, through their stay. This is peak season. Other spaces, let alone equivalent ones, will be hard to find.  The plumbers try to work a bit of magic, until the camera guy can arrive and scope out the pipes to see how bad it is. We talk to the guests. They’re very understanding, and want to keep going. While we’re not at “normal” for the quality level of stay that we want to produce, we’re keeping fingers crossed.

The next morning, the teaching kitchen, which is part of our other company, in the main house, begins prepping pastries. Suddenly, the smell is not Swedish cinnamon rolls, but sewage stench. We look outside. The slow leak has reopened in the wall, but it’s much worse. It starts raining. Sewage heads for the pool.

We now have a crisis, and some big decisions to make quickly.

A call to the plumber tells us that we have not only major work, including tearing up concrete, brick, and walls, but that we have no way to get the current guest, or guests in the next three weeks, through this pipe failure.

My manager and I decide that we need to get our partners, Airbnb, on board to find out what we can do for our guests. Prior to calling, we decide that we will refund the guest fully. Even though they’ve been understanding, the quality of their stay is below the level we produce. 

We call Airbnb. The initial operator is overseas, and unsure of what to do. He does, thankfully, escalate us to a team that does know what to do. We explain the situation. Airbnb customer service moves our case into text form. They ask for some proof of the problem. We send them photos, and a dropbox link to a video of walking through the morning’s second failure.  They approve an exemption for special circumstances for our cancellations, and cancel the guests. They contact our guests with options. They relocate our current guest. They blocked out dates so no one could book. We put in a safety pad of blocks of our own.

We, meanwhile, reach out to all of the guests for the rest of the month, apologize, and tell them to check their mail from Airbnb to get their options. We offer them some comps, to further reinforce that we would like them to come for a future stay.

The teachable moments are that calm, good communication, and having systems in place to get the kind of support service that you need, both physically, and from our Airbnb partners, took what could have been a much bigger mess, and/or caused a great deal of unhappiness on the part of the people who’ve booked, often weeks, or months in advance, and turned it into as good of a situation as you can expect.

I know that people spend a lot of their time, in the community space, venting about things that went wrong with Airbnb. Certainly, if that’s the case it gives them opportunity to improve.

I’m here to say, though, that, yesterday, they were great partners, in the middle of an awful day in our business, and that they did right by us.

Thank you, Airbnb.

Brian Ross
6 Replies 6
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Brian1613 

Thanks Brian for that detailed account of your problem.

As you said we see many complaints about the way Airbnb has handled users issue but we very rarely see a success story, and it's nice to know that there are personnel within the company that will go that extra mile to help us hosts in a time of crisis.

Good luck Brian, I hope this sewerage issue of your sorts out quickly without too much disruption to your hosting, and it's good to know that Airbnb do have your back covered. All the best.

Cheers........Rob

Thanks Rob!

96 year old homes have their issues. There is water pooling in areas between pool and house, about a meter wide,  that has to be ripped up, and means that we will have to also take down our upper deck. So, yes, it’s going to be a couple very unpleasant months, and some serious money. Thanks for the good wishes!

Brian Ross
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I am sorry you had to deal with this situation in the middle of the season, I know how stressful it is.

Something similar has happened to us when our boiler broke while we had guests. I immediately found them another accommodation in the neighborhood but the whole proces with Airbnb took about 4 phone calls and about 45 min on the phone. This is too long taking into consideration international calls and the simple task ABB had to do -  to cancel one reservation. ABB rep kept me and my guests on the phone for 45 min just to verify my identity ( my name, user name, address, listing number, my guest's name and their phone no, reservation number, check-in and out dates etc... ) and then insisted to talk with my guests while my boiler was leaking on the carpet and laminate floor, my guests were packing their stuff, I had to wipe the floor, call the boiler service and my neighbor, go with them to show them another apartment etc...

It was 2 years ago.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Yeah Branka, this was what is so refreshing about @Brian1613 's post and I have to say, being here on the CC does frighten me! I have had 5 years of mainly great experiences since I have been with Airbnb. Airbnb have paid me $132,369 in that time to host guests, and all but 10 of them have been great.

Airbnb tells me in their latest bit of PR that I have been a Superhost for 21 consecutive quarters......

21 times Superhost.png

I have done nothing to upset Airbnb, and they have done very little to upset me! Our relationship has been great.

But I read of all the troubling issues that other hosts have here on the CC, page after page of them and on one hand I am thankful for being forewarned......but on the other hand it worries that my time for something major will come.....it's just a matter of time. Negativity breeds negativity!

I need reassurance that not all is bad with Airbnb, and posts like @Brian1613  go a long way towards helping to ward off my hosting 'devils' !  

Cheers.........Rob

I don't provide a phone number for Airbnb, or guests, to call me @Branka-and-Silvia0 

End of problem!!! xx

I would always want the evidence of text to be available for future ref and the quality of phone conversations is below parr. The chat however is left open until there has been a resolution and the time required for staff to deal, to the very highest standards which ofcourse I expect and find, is accommodated. So I go that route .

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Fantastic @Brian1613 .

Loved reading this... wonderful blow by blow account of disaster occuring yet not overwhelming... and bravo to you for positivity throughout. GOLD STAR xxxxx