When I was a traveler during the pandemic, most hosts doubled or more the cleaning fee. Do you know, airbnb gets 13% commission on the cleaning fee?

Lorraine395
Level 2
Panamá, Panama

When I was a traveler during the pandemic, most hosts doubled or more the cleaning fee. Do you know, airbnb gets 13% commission on the cleaning fee?

I find this not ethical and unfair.  Most of the places I stayed did not increase any cleaning for the pandemic.  Sometimes I didn't have towels or sheets or pillows because the linen services were down.  What a rip off. 

I tried to make a class action suit but apparently this is legal. But is should not be legal.  

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lorraine395 

Your message in the subject line of the post:

Airbnb charges a Guest Service Fee on the total price of the reservation, including the cleaning fee.

Your message in the body of the post:

"I tried to make a class action suit but apparently this is legal."

Are you referring to the Cleaning fee, the Airbnb Service costs,  or the linen services being down ?

Yes, that's what I said and it is inethical and should be changed.  Esp when the cleaning is not better and you get no towels or linens.  I wasn't asking a question.  I was informing everything that this is not right and everyone should ask for it to be changed. I myself do not charge a cleaning fee, so airbnb does not make money off of it.

@Lorraine395  of course it does, your cleaning costs are incorporated in your nightly price and ABB service fees go on top of it

I know that.  THat's what I said 2 times.

@Lorraine395  Airbnb isn't going to quit charging a service fee on the cleaning fee (altho I agree that it is greedy of them)- you are wasting your time complaining about this.

And sheets and towels have nothing to do with the cleaning fees, they are amenities which are either offered or not. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lorraine395 

If you weren't asking a question, why did you post in the 'help' section? That's a place specifically to ask other users for help/suggestions...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lorraine395 

Also, while I don't personally charge any cleaning fees, I can see why some other hosts have upped theirs due to the pandemic. Airbnb made all hosts sign up to 'enhanced' cleaning protocols due to COVID, which are very time consuming. When you book, you are shown the cleaning fee and you agree to it. If the place was then really dirty, sure I can see why you would be unhappy, but as @Sarah977 mentioned, the amount of sheets/towels provided has nothing to do with that. \\

That's something that is offered or not as an amenity, which is again something that should be mentioned on the listing and you can then decide to book if what is on offer suits you. If it's unclear, you can always check with the host first, or choose not to book... In some places, it's standard to provide sheets and towels. In others, it's not. You need to do your research. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Whatever complaints you have about Airbnb, there is a simple solution.

Don’t book with Airbnb. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I don't charge a cleaning fee and never have, but I do find it surprising that they'd add commission on top.

Not that I have any reason to defend Airbnb, but are we really sure they do? Or are we just assuming that because someone said it? They don't charge commission on say, tourist tax or other charges. But if you include it in the nightly price, then yes, they will add commission. 

@Elaine701  No, it's not an assumption- anyone who has a cleaning fee can easily see that Airbnb's service fees are charged on the nightly fee plus the cleaning fee. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

If they didn't charge commission on top of the cleaning fee then it would drive people to large cleaning fees and lower nightly rates to game a low commission.