When Oh When Will Airbnb Fix Their Rating System?? 3 Star Rating....

Linnea-Or-David0
Level 5
Ochre Beach, Canada

When Oh When Will Airbnb Fix Their Rating System?? 3 Star Rating....

As soon as the lockdown restrictions loosened here in Manitoba our listing has been booked solid... which is great.  They've for the most part been excellent guests, with just a couple less than tidy folks but nothing to drastic.

Then we get this last group.  They booked six people (where the cut off is before charging for extra guests) yet EVERY dish, EVERY towel in the house was used.  Pretty sure there was more than 6 people.  Someone put bacon grease in a mug and actually put it back in the cupboard!! Yet, they followed the house rules and washed the dishes, put the towels in the tub like they were supposed to etc.  I was willing to overlook the discrepancies and give them an okay review.

During their stay the messaged saying the house was so clean and even left a review saying they recommend the place and in the private notes said they loved the place and had a great stay.  THEN GAVE THE LISTING A 3??!!  Not only did they give the listing a 3 but they also gave cleanliness and 3 and value a 4!!! What the actual heck!!!

I just don't understand how people do that without thinking to themselves, "Hey look at all the 5s they've got.  Maybe I should re-evaluate whether this place is truly a 3... "

Should do I public reply at all? Or just ignore it?  I was thinking of replying  "Hey Love (that's her name), thanks for staying.  I'm going to assume your 3 star review was an accident since you recommend our place and messaged that you loved how clean it was and had a great time.  Thanks for staying!!"

Thoughts?

31 Replies 31

I have had a guest give five stars for all categories and write a good recommendation for our place. He forget to give an overall rating. This gave us a 0 star rating. Airbnb will not do anything about it. We work really hard to give the guests a great experience. Sometimes I wonder why we bother.

Marie-and-Owen0
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

I think the ship has sailed over AirBNB ratings; it's pretty common in Uber, TripAdvisor, etc. There was even a bit of recent research that found people's language in reviews was far more useful in indicating quality than the star ratings. Here's what I put in my room info sheet:

Ratings When you come to give AirBNB feedback on our place, note that anything other than 5 stars is a fail (this is pretty much how Uber ratings work). It is not like a hotel star rating.