When Size Really Matters...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When Size Really Matters...

I find this a bit frustrating, but it's the second time now that I've been downrated for accuracy in terms of the size of my home.

The first time was with a guest from Texas. I guess the houses there are huge. She felt that it looked much smaller than the photos (although these are verified by Airbnb and what you see in the photos is what you get). She also complained that the five minute walk to the underground station was far too strenuous.

Now it's just happened again. A very lovely guest who left a five star review still mentioned in her private feedback that the listing was inaccurate in terms of the size of the property.

I'm guessing this is a cultural issue, but my place is 2.5 times the average UK house (more than that for the average London one) and almost everyone who comes here thinks it's really large! The house is on four floors and while the bedrooms vary in size, the smallest one is still a good sized double (double four poster bed, two double wardrobes, desk, chest of drawers, bookcase and enough room to wak around all of these). The largest one is actually very big and has a four metre high ceiling. There is plenty of communal space, including good sized kitchen, dining area, living room, a bathroom the size of most double bedrooms in London (in addition to another shower room), front garden, back garden, roof terrace, big hallway the size of most people's living rooms here...

Most guests don't end up even using the whole place. The guest from Texas who complained only used her bedroom and the bathroom and never even ventured into the other areas so I'm not sure why she felt short of space!

Should I remove the references to the size of the rooms/property? Or, should I just ignore the occasional review from a guest who was disappointed by the size?

This is the bedroom the guest who just complained stayed in. I've put in two photos because the photographer couldn't get the whole room in one shot.

1st floor-1.jpg1st floor.jpg

84 Replies 84

Yes, thanks.  I don't want to put it that way.  They are paying good money and my apartment IS very basic. I have a lot of worry with each booking that they will suffer and not like it.   

I noticed that the triad of red green and yellow was very compelling and satisfying  - in pale shades as well. So if you have green and yellow, you might try a coral depending on the shade of your kitchen.  Or a red or a pink.  It really depends.  Or it might be cleaner if you turned to silver or gold or pink gold.    Because my pieces are mostly castoffs, we ended up with the monochromatic and the bare wood as the palette.

I also feel however that i can't lie - I cant even afford wing chairs or dining room chairs - the apartment is okay but maybe being too floral would seem too comfortable when we aren't that.   We're not plush.  

those tumblers have to be returned - one could cut their lip on the rim.  

Do you have any rooms that are ice cream parlor colors?   I think the English do that so well - like that room in Buckingham Palace where Queen Elizabeth waited for Daniel Craig to appear for the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics. 

I think that is brought back in The Great British Baking Show which I didn't really watch but I noticed the colors. 

I am VERY tempted to do that in the duplex but it would go against the facts of that very basic space and the black spiral. I actually have sample jars of a pistachio green and a ballerina pink.

But I think Navy would be better or just a very clean white and then regrout the tiles in ... gray grout. 

I can't just add florals - it would be unrealistic of me. 

PS @Jennifer--And-My-Brother0 the bed in the photo is an antique French bed, but refurbished and reuphostered. I bought it from a seller on Ebay, but you might be surprised to know that it cost about the same as an Ikea bed, only they delivered and assembled it for me! They were a lovely couple.

This is my favourite bed in the house though (was a bit more expensive). I hadn't got my fancy bed dressing technique down though at this stage so it looks nicer now!

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-039-1200x781.jpg

Oooh.  :))   This is so funny.  I love the balance and the aged but strong quality of the neutral colors and then the surprise splash of purple.  Yes, I had the same experience looking at Chinese imported furniture like a desk that has a flip cover on it - it was cheaper than Ikea and I bet ebay is the same.   Older furniture is so disrespected but it is so solid.   I wish I could pursue that but we have so much old furniture - two coffee tables lay in wait - that I could never justify shopping for new furniture even if I could afford it.  We don't have new ikea because we can't afford it not because we're too good for it.  

And I have one room that is unfurnished for monthly roommates and it got booked thrice - twice by monthly roommates and mistakenly by a short term guest because I opened up the listing to allow two roommates to stay over for free but to protect myself and NEITHER  of them booked and I ended up with an instant book. 

Instant books are so surprising - you don't know what you are going to get and there it is in your in box. 

@Jennifer--And-My-Brother0 I don't use Instant Book. Too unpredictable for me! Shame so many guests don't leave reviews. I have had quite a few guests who didn't, especially earlier this summer, but luckily most do. I often gently remind them to write one when we are saying goodbye, or in the thank you message I send to them after they leave. Most respond well to this. If a guest told me they had a lovely stay and are definitely going to leave a review but then haven't and time is running out, I send them a very friendly reminder, as often they have simply forgotten!

It IS very unpredictable but so many people do inquiries with strange questions but then don't book so I am grateful for the instant bookings so I don't turn anyone off.   Couples do need to inquire beforehand in my opinion.  I think they are unpredictable and not right for my apartment. 

So far everyone has been good through instant book.  My location is very good.   My apartment can't compete with the local competition so I try to make up for it with packing the freezers with ice cream bars but no one is really eating them. 

@Jennifer--And-My-Brother0 I would eat the ice cream bars! Are you sure your guests know they are there?

I don't push it.  They may privately despise me!