When a guest wants a refund and you don't agree

Julien154
Level 2
San Diego, CA

When a guest wants a refund and you don't agree

Hey guys,

My name is Julien and this weekend was to be my first hosting experience, had guests fly in from Canada. I have a small studio apartment in San Diego, for which I'll provide the link for you to view. Since it's a studio I have a couch that expands into a queen sized bed, that you plug in and it inflates.

Basically, here's the situation. I posted instructions on how to inflate the bed (literally plug in, press inflate, you're done) via the "check in instructions" in the AirBnB app. Pictures and everything. The guest got in late, after midnight, and either didn't see the instructions or was too tired, but, didn't follow them and ended up sleeping on the bed uninflated.

Naturally, the guest was angry, said I misrepresented the bed in the ad, and wanted a refund. I obliged. I've left the ad unchanged so that you all may judge and I can get some constructive advice from a different vantage point. I felt that, not only did I NOT misrepresent the bed, but, I placed the very simple but precise instructions for the in the app, does that blame rest with me?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20393453?s=51 

Please let me know your thougths,

Julien

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julien154 the problem is that guests doesn't read. They will maaaybe scan one sentence note it is in front of their eyes .

In the future you have an option to show them how it works during the check in or to let a note with the instruction on the cauch .

Don't forget to leave instructions how to uninflate it too.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Thank you so much for the advice. In the future, I'll definitely leave laminated instructions with PICTURES (lol!) for the guest to read. It's frustrating that we put so much detail into the descriptions and the guests don't bother to look.

UPDATE: The guest messaged me a couple hours ago saying that they had completely missed my instructions and that their the bed was perfect once inflated. They're staying their trip and I'm getting my money back. Plot twist...

@Julien154 I am glad that everything end up fine 🙂

don't LOL on pictures.... we have Ikea pull out sofa and we leave them Ikea drawing-instructions on the bedding 🙂

That is good news, because it changes what I was about to post.

I looked at your listing, and I thought WTF? Are these people out of their minds? I mean really....  Are they clueless?  Under a hundred bucks to stay in that beautiful studio on Cortez Hill?  Dude.... Mister Man....  Julien, the amazing Julien.... They don't deserve to stay there.  My initial thought was to tell them to go back to Canada, and take their damned Maple Syrup with them.  But now that they've figured it out, and returned the refund that you should never have sent, I've changed my mind.

Yes.  Put together a very simple, easy to read set of instructions on how to operate the bed and leave it where it can't possibly be missed.  I suggest two sets... One on that table right next to the sofa/bed.  A second set under the cushions, on top of the air mattress itself.

I lived in San Diego County for 47 years.  I used to look up at the El Cortez Hotel from the Cabrillo Freeway as a kid, mesmerized by the Neon Sign that Flashed "El Cortez Hotel".... then blinked out, and flashed "Sky Room....  Sky Room"   Followed by a cascade of twinkling neon stars.  I'd watch guests ride that Glass Elevator up the outside of the hotel to the Restaurant, and wish that I was there.  Now... 14 years after escaping from California to the East Coast of Central Florida I wish I was there.... relaxing in your beautiful studio.... sleeping on your air mattress sofabed after an evening at The Old Globe... a day in Balboa Park... Taking in The San Diego Symphony at Copley Symphony Hall.... Dining in Little Italy, Hillcrest, or the Embarcadero.  But I'd NEVER think of asking you for a refund because I was too stupid to figure out how to plug in an air mattress and press the inflate button.

@Mark26 Thanks for the kind words. Since, it's my first hosting experience, I thought that most would appreciate a steal right next to downtown. Coupled with your suggestions and this learning experience, I'm confident that I can combat the dummies moving forward.

Julien,

When a host posts his or her troubles here, I usually look at their listing to see what's going on before I comment.  I can't tell you how many times I open a page, look at the photos, and think "Why on earth would anyone want to stay there?"   I've even caught myself involuntarily shuddering at a picture, and quickly closing the page so I don't have to see that again.

You photos made me want to be there.  I look at your listing and think "Why can't at least one of my listings be half as nice as Julien's?"

Jennifer1596
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Julian 

what a bad first experience ! Firstly you said that you had already noted instructions on what to do on your inventory. So this isn’t your fault.  Like you said they were probably tired and basically couldn’t be bothered 😕. On my first experience they left a 4 day stay  and demanded a full refund , because I didn’t have a cafeteria !! It obviously made me doubt if I wanted to host again because i didn’t want the hassle of fussy guests. But Julian it is most definitely worth it. This wasn’t your fault. You’ve been transparent and put it in your inventory. Most guests are amazing and you will enjoy meeting people from around the world. Obviously some guests can be a pain in the bum. But just learn from it . I wish you many happy hosting days . 😀

Sometimes people can be unbearable , I fully understand you, and to avoid this situation in the future, try to warn people about the bed in advance, you save your nerve system 🙂