When can we accept a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, Ethereum, or lite coin as payment?

Irina108
Level 4
Surfers Paradise, Australia

When can we accept a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, Ethereum, or lite coin as payment?

I would like to accept diffrent cryptocurrency's as payment, would anyone else like to have that option? Airbnb could credit my walet with the cryptocurrency, after subtracting the service fee just like normal.

75 Replies 75
Irina108
Level 4
Surfers Paradise, Australia

Thanks for the advice, you must be busy running 2 places:)

Chris812
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

cryptobnb

Actually - to all the nay-sayers:

Paying in Bitcoin would basically be like paying cash. There are no exchange rate fees. And it cuts out need of the the middleman (AKA Airbnb in this case), so service fees are also potentially reduced.  

No it's not. Payment goes through Airbnb so they can still deduct their fees.

Not really, Bitcoin cuts out the banks, not Airbnb. With Bitcoin, Airbnb could be it's own payment processor. Get the payment, split it between host and Airbnb. There is no differentce to the present business model

this is correct!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Irina108 There would be a great option for those who wants to get paid in cryptocurrencies but from what we recently saw none of those currencies are stable enough. 

If you call 1000% raise in 1 year, unstable then I have to agree.
USD is much better, there you just constantly loose few % due to inflation, from year to year. No surprises and everything is stable as you like it.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Please God, no. Just no. 
The next thing is that I'll need to grow a beard and become a hipster. 

Bitcoin is not just a fad. People in Venezuela, Argentina, and Iran are already using it to buy things as simple as a cup of coffee because their government's currency have hyperinflated. This is because Bitcoin is decentralized from any government or single body. The owners of Bitcoin constantly check every transaction making it a completely unalterable blockchain. What Bitcoin does which USD cannot is that it does not depend on the US government or any banking system to maintain its validity and value. If a whole Bitcoin farm goes up in flames, all those Bitcoins mined still remain in the blockchain and can be accessed from another computer. Call me a hipster, but I think Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies should be accepted by airbnb so that hosts can start building their crypto wallet!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Irina108

Some of the problem is the way crypto currencies are treated in different countries - so protection for you would be zero in most, but you seem knowledgable enough to accept that risk

Financal Service Companies have held back from using crypto (although they are experimenting with the blockchain) just because there is no regulation, no protection for seller or buyers. It's not clear where fault would lie if your payment didn't reach you and I can't see AirBnB taking on liability for something that in some countries is practically illegal, in others an asset, in others a virtual currency, etc.

would absolutely accept cryptos....would prefer it in fact....especially litecoin.

Nico84
Level 1
Roanoke, VA

I'd also love to know. I would love to accept LTC or BTC or quite a few others as a form of payment. I am a teacher and own a private language school where we accept Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as payment. This would be an excellent devlepment. Just tweeted at them. 

Arsen1
Level 2
Lviv, Ukraine

I'd love to use cryptos to pay for acomodation