When do I leave a guest a bad review?

Rachel768
Level 2
Pflugerville, TX

When do I leave a guest a bad review?

Hi all, 

I've been a host for about 6 months now and overall have had really good visitors who follow all house rules but recently people have been a little disrespectful of the house.  I rent out the entire space and only come back once they've finished their stays.  Today I came back to my house that had a sink and dishwasher full of dirty dishes, all linens/towels used and kind of just thrown around the space, full stinky trash cans with broken/no liners, big chunks of glitter all over, a window left open ( it's been very rainy), gum on the bathroom tile,  etc. They were defintely college aged people coming into town for a festival... so is it my problem for accepting them? 

Even though I was able to clean everything and there were no actual damages, is it fair to leave a poor review? Do I contact him privately first and discuss the issues?  Basically, I don't want to be overly picky.  The guy was nice and communiative before coming it was just obvious that he and his friends put zero effort into cleaning the space. 

Any advice is appreciated! 

25 Replies 25
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Rachel0Newsflash: Renting to young people is a high-risk move, especially to those coming already in a 'festive' mood. Even if there is not an official 'festival', they will create one (aka parties).

Understood, but I think they should still be expected to folllow the house rules and clean up after themselves.... right?

Absolutely. It is just that they fall under the old adage - 'Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' rule, meaning best not to rent to them, unless one is up to the challenge. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Rachel

The question is would you host these guests again? and happy to recommend them as stellar guests to other hosts as  guests?

If not, then other hosts who think such may be allowing such guests to bounce along the air bnb platform from unsuspecting host to unsuspecting host.

Fellow host......I’ve just had the guest I would NOT want to host again and they got a 5* star, review so WHAT THE HECK, is going on?

Other host.......Oh it couldn’t be that bad, just chalk it down to experience as it WILL make YOU a better host. I suggest that you don’t cane this guest, just write “best suited to a hotel” as EVERYONE surely knows, what this guest did in your family home.

Fellow host.......but that’s so vague, how’s that going to STOP this guest bouncing around air bnb from unsuspecting host to host?

Other host.........it’s ONLY a review, for goodness sake! It soon gets buried anyway, but most  important of all, I DONT want to risk my STATS!

Sound familiar? 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

We hosted groups of very young and tidy backpackers and groups of messy elderly people and I can tell you there is no rule,   but, generaly, I found families ( even with grown up children ) the messiest!

But when they leave a mess I write it in my review. Something like : "More then usuall cleaning time was needed." or "better suited in a hotel" And I rate them with lower stars . It would be unfair to rate them with 5* the same as other, clean and tidy guests.

I am happy that most of our guests are great.

Branka, backpackers are a whole different 'species' (than young 'party animals'); usually they are nature lovers and have a whole different set of values that makes the difference.

When I say caution with 'group of young people', it is to be aware of the clueless, selfish, constantly drinking, loud  'all-about-me' types. Elderly people -  my 2nd least favorite types, the 'home inspector' types in particular. Families? - true, a bit more maintenance, but overall solid.

It is not that tricky to surmise where in the evolutionary scale people really are - by the questions they ask and how they express themselves.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Fred

Thats me off the Belize list then😫

The worst type of guest for me is the Virtue Signallers, followed by the entitled guest.

Both these types are spread right across the age spectrum ( funnily enough all my older guests have been no bother at all), social demographic and educational spectrum.

Virtue Signallers? New one on me. Are these what we call 'Holy Rollers' on this side of the pond?

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Fred

Virtue Signaller" But you CAN'T flatten those tents a few blocks from my air bnb! Not only do homeless people live there, but I enjoy spending most of my time trying to educate some guests who are shocked that this happens on my doorstep and then have the ABSOLUTE NERVE to be shocked that this happens nearby and give me a 1* for location!

Shocked guest....I see that the host has taken it up themselves to show his support for refugees.Have they donated money or time?Are they giving free English lessons?Are they making a free room available?

PAUSE for thought by shocked guest.....NO! NO! The host is just virtue signalling

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Fred

So is a Virtue signaller= Holy roller?

Intrigued now!

Heather106
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

I run into this situation frequently as my place is a few blocks outside of the French Quarter in New Orleans. I understand that most people visit here to have a good time and enjoy the laissez faire environment. I also expect that alcohol will be consumed on and off of my property. In general, the vast majority of my guests have been wonderful and respectful people. Occasionally, I do have guests that don't leave my space in the best condition. When this happens, I do leave an honest review. Its extremely important for future hosts to know as well as a learning experience for the guests (especially if they are younger and/or this is the first time that they are using Airbnb). 

I would suggest a couple of things to help prevent future issues. You might want to add a few things to your house rules- if you want the dishwasher loaded and started, you need to state it. Or if you want them to take out the garbage, place used linens in a hamper, close/lock windows, etc... It needs to be stated.

I personally have house rules regarding general respect for my place; I clearly let them know that while I want them to have a good time, this is my home, that I live here and take great pride in living in a historical home (140 years old and renovated last year) and neighborhood and that my place is "not a party pad". During certain time of the year- Mardi Gras, Halloween, New Years, I send a separate message asking them to please limit their "glitter usage" (that stuff takes forever to clean up! lol). The only cleaning rule I ask is for them to take out the garbage when they check out and to not leave full garbage bags sitting on the new wood floors. Trust me, I've cleaned up some doozies of messes (its pretty obvious when they've had a few too many Hurricanes or Hand Grenades on Bourbon St), but I expect a certain amount of this considering my location.

I've found that stating all of this has helped in finding my place in decent condition after check out. In my check in instructions message, I remind them to please re-read my listing and house rules. I also have the house rules printed out and in a binder with general information about New Orleans as well as displayed on the refrigerator. This way, everyone is aware of the house rules. It might be a bit of overkill, but we all know guests "don't read everything" on the listing.... 

Thanks Heather!  My check out list includes placing all used linens in hampers, leaving trash in a certain area, washing used dishes, tidying up the space so it looks like it did upon arrival, etc.  But maybe I should be leaving more reminders of these things for the guests.

I’d put them in the actual house rules and post them in multiple places! Then there’s no excuse, no “I didn’t know” or “no one told me”. 

I hate to to say this, but you almost have to spoon feed some guests. What seems perfectly obvious to us, doesn’t even cross their minds sometimes. 

@Rachel0 I think the fairest approach would be to state the facts - positive and negative - so that future hosts can make an educated decision about your guests. Your post actually contains one sentence that would be appropriate in an accurate review:

The guy was nice and communiative before coming it was just obvious that he and his friends put zero effort into cleaning the space.