When do we need to change the bed sheets?

Answered!
Maya50
Level 2
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France

When do we need to change the bed sheets?

Dear Hosts,

I'm new and beginner in AirBnB,happy to join all of you here at CC.

I'd like to ask you about hospitality concerning cleaning the house and changing the bed sheet and towel.

As it will be my first time to have a guest who stay than 4 days (they will stay for 9 nights), should i change  the bed sheet and towel during they stay?.

Is there any standard for it?.

Thank you for your attention, thank you also for sharing your experience.

Warmest Regards from France,

Maya

1 Best Answer
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I leave extra sets of sheets in the apartment as well as a generous number of towels. The guest can do what they like.

this is a private apartment.  If it were a single room in my house, I would change the sheets every week. Long term guests are on their own.....we are a vacation rental, not a hotel.

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I don't allow long-term guests, the stays are generally 5 days or shorter. I provide 4 clean towels at the beginning, and of course clean bed, etc. if a guest is longer than five days, I will offer to have my cleaner who comes once a week freshen the space, replace towels and sheets, clean the bathroom if they would like this. It's far too much work for me to replace towels or sheets everyday. 

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I leave extra sets of sheets in the apartment as well as a generous number of towels. The guest can do what they like.

this is a private apartment.  If it were a single room in my house, I would change the sheets every week. Long term guests are on their own.....we are a vacation rental, not a hotel.

Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

At check in, you might ask them what day they'd like you to provide them a set of clean sheets, or if you want to change the sheets to recuperate and wash the old ones, what day they will need a sheet change.  

Maya50
Level 2

@Lucy-and-Loic0

Thak you for your reply to my question....

Have a nice day.

regards,

Maya

I have a studio in a holiday location where people usually spend from a weekend to one week. If I have guests who stay for more than one week I send them a message through the airbnb system after week one and ask them wheter they would like a complimentary cleaning and/or fresh sheets and towels. I always leave various sets of spare towels in the unit. (I mean, if weekend guests use a dozen towels in two days, I just stick them in the washer and move on, It's not really a considerable expense). By doing this, I respect their privacy and the guests feel that they are getting an extra service they may not have expected. I never mention this as a standard service, because German authorites may consider that offering hotel-like services converts me into a "hotel" with the need for a license and taxes on professional commerce. 

Maya50
Level 2

Thank you so much to everybody to reply me, to share with me with your experience...

Have a nice AirBnB Host....

Regards from France,

Maya

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

When I have longer stay guests (more than 5 days), I let them know where I keep the extra linens if they feel the need to change the sheets. 

@Maya50

I think it depends on your own hosting approach. 

Some hosts here see it more like a business and hotel: stric check-in and outs, cleaning fees, extra charges for extra things etc. 
Some others, myself included, see it more like sharing a home with someone. So my check-in and out times are flexible, no cleaning fee, anything extra no charge etc. 

So in my case if it's a long-term stay (more than a week), I leave a separate set of linen which the guests may use if they would like to, but obviously they would have to change it by themsleves like they would do at home. I provide a bigger set of towels than for short stays and they can use the washing machine provided if they would like them clean. 

More "do-it-yourself" - lower prices. Just like IKEA hehe. So far everyone's been happy! 

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

Just adding my thoughts too.  My washer and dryer are accessible and use of them is included with their stay.  Long term guests are definately expected to do their own laundry (which includes sheets and towels).  Short term (2-5 nights) I wait until they leave and do not change them in between.  There are enough towels anyway, and another set of sheets.  I do wash the comforter about every other or every third customer.   I think most travelers prefer privacy over a host going in and changing towels and sheets.  They are not staying in a hotel but they also don't want to feel like they are invading your space (if you're always going in there).

Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

I offer after 3 days, but guests usually say don't worry, the guests that stay over 10 days usually take up my offer on about day 5-6. So I would offer at least once a week if I was you. Saying this I live by a national park and all my guests come here for hiking and kayaking so a more sweat inducing stay.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Maya50:  I see you've gotten many responses, so you may not need my help.  But, just right now, we have our first Guests who are staying 9 days.  To honor their privacy (we rent out a total home, not just a room), and not feeling that it was appropriate for us to return to what was now their home, while they were staying there, to change the sheets, I left clean fresh sheets for each bed for them.  So, they could change them at 5 or 6 days, or never during their visit.  These 4 people may also run out of the many towels we have, so I advised that they could launder towels that they needed.  I feel it is more important to honor their privacy and respect their space during their visit, then to enter the home that is full of their belongings, to clean for them.  We may be housekeepers and house cleaners when there is no Guest, but not when people have taken possession of the home.  Good Luck, Lois

What if these guests don't bother to change the sheets at all. The human body shed 1 million skin cells per day. When I have stayed in hotels it has never bothered me when the maid came in to change the bed.  My things have been around the room.  Only nine days and you think they will run out of towels. 

Maybe best to read the other post about bed bugs that will put the wind up you it did me.

Alex383
Level 2
Linz, Austria

hi everyone. i wait already more then 2 months of my payments from airbnb.please send me a cell number from airbnb.i can not findin there webside.

thank you

sheila

Sarah706
Level 3
Las Vegas, NV

If you want to be nice, you can ask your guests and make the offer midway through their visit. Personally, I wouldn't offer to change sheets for a 9 day stay since most people dont need them changed for that length of time. If it was a 2 week stay I would ask if I felt like I had the time to change the sheets for them.