When does a guest review border on slander/defamation?

Maeve9
Level 3
South Carolina, United States

When does a guest review border on slander/defamation?

A "no-show" guest who forgot his date of arrival and wanted his $38 dollars refunded has managed to give me an inside the home review even though he never crossed the threshold.

Airbnb say there's nothing they can do and that he had the right to review because he didn't cancel his booking since he forgot to arrive. 

20 Replies 20
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Maeve9 did you manage to have Airbnb remove the review for you?

All your reviews look wonderful!

Paul.

Maeve9
Level 3

No Paul. Airbnb replied and stated that once a guest books and pays they are entitled to review.  If they never set foot in the home how can they review? But this guest found a way - those new icons! He said no bedding, pillows, toilet paper, towels etc...

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I don't see the review? 

Maeve9
Level 3

Hi Mark, the sly fox used the icon review system.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Maeve9 I can’t see a bad review either. What do you mean “icon review system” ?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben551 & @Maeve9

Ben, it would seem Guest didn't write a review, but just  filled in the 5 stars Ratings with comments for improvements.

It's happened to me twice. Though the Review did show up as a blank comment.

It must seem odd to anyone checking, as if it's a glitch or Guest forgot to write something.

In the first case I wasn't surprised because Guest was impersonal without a friendly word during the stay. She also gave low star ratings with plenty of yap-yap complaints.

The second case felt a bit odd because Guest gave 5 Star ratings for everything, and was quite engaging. -- I was simply glad for the 5 Stars.

Still, I believe Maev can have the star ratings removed for false comments. It should be factually accurate, 'no bedding, pillows, toilet paper, towels etc..' is clearly not. 

The problem is finding someone in CS who will act not as automaton but an understanding human being willing to apply the company policy.

It took me a month last  year to have 3 Reviews removed for violation of 3rd Party Bookings. (I'll save on the details as each was quite a long story). Likewise, the amount of hassle I had to go through before finding the right person in CS. 

Lisa1680
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

HELP!  would really appreciate fellow host advice (warning: disgusting content)

I've been host for 8 months (made super host few months ago) and an ABB guest myself for over 7 years. I'm currently experiencing a truly upsetting situation and hoping to resolve professionally and calmly with causing escalation but I'm concerned I'm dealing with a sociopath guest - appears to be devoid of remorse and fabricating lies about my space and their experience.

This guest just joined in January 2019 and clearly doesn't understand the home sharing community expectation of respect. I believe he will abuse other spaces so want to report him while also not starting a war and endangering my safety.

I was his first ever booking. He turned my beautiful space into a frat boy rec room drunken party with his friend by moving furniture and bringing in their own sound system blasting music at completely off the hook levels for 5 hours (I left the building cause I couldn't stand it). They went out to a rave 11pm - 5am.

They broke multiple house rules on parking, garbage and didn't put furniture back but I could have let all those go except for ....  the worst of it: they left a disgusting toilet absolutely full of feces (so sorry to put that in your mind's eye!). I cannot unsee this. It felt like total disrespect and was super upsetting. I have deduced it may have been on purpose because they slept in past check out and got pissed off when I knocked shortly after 11am to remind of 11am check out time.

I'm not saying "socipath" lightly here. When I wrote them later in the day about the toilet I said I'd wait to hear from them before reporting to ABB - you know, give him a chance to apologise and say they were hungover or whatever. But no, his response was to take zero responsibility for any infractions, have zero remorse and truly unbelievably blamed ME for the unflushed toilet because they were being "rushed out". wow. Who does that? The thing that makes me nervous is that he proceeded to also blame me for many fabricated issues that not one of my past 52 bookings have ever mentioned (can you say 'gaslighting'). I haven't answered his msg yet. Was too upset. Now editing a response to just the facts.

BUT in the meantime ....

I got a notice he has reviewed me! UG.  I've never been in a situation before where I don't want someone's review to get posted. I'm certain it will say mean, untrue things. But of course I can't read it without writing one of my own. I don't want my rating to go down.

QUESTIONS:

1. If I review him both reviews would become public so I intend not to, but is there a time limit beyond which his review will be automatically posted even if I don't review him back? In other words, can I ignore it so it will it never be seen ...

2. Beside his profile pic there is the option to report him for being "offensive". will he learn it was me or will they just ban him?

I honestly think he should be banned from the site. But since I am his one and only booking, any report of him being offensive he will know came from me. He only lives a few hours down the highway and he clearly has issues - I feel nervous he will retaliate. I'm a woman living alone. So do I leave it, keep my eye on end game and not report?

I want to protect my fellow hosts from EVER having him as a guest.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

@Lisa1680

it seems they were on drugs

next time make sure your photo and video document such behavior ( music, furniture, toilet..) so you can use it in case you want your guest canceled or his review removed or whatever...

If he left you a review and you don't review him then his review will show after 14 days. Leave your review, clear short and unemotional for future hosts and for Airbnb evidence. In this case, You will be able to answer his review once posted.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I actually do have photo and video evidence. 

It sounds like best is wait the 14 days so I can see his review, then respond to it with facts. I'm much calmer now. 🙂 Or, could I petition to have him banned from the site?

He is clearly not a good fit for a home sharing community/business - he doesn't get it. And it appears he's not interested in learning.

@Lisa1680 Please review your guest, otherwise other hosts will not have any idea of how bad his behaviour was. Just commenting on your review won't do, as potential hosts won't see that.

You can review something along the lines of "X broke house rules, left the place in a mess and was late to check out. Not recommended for Airbnb" and then mark him as one star everything & a thumbs down. And if you're very concerned about his behaviour you also have the opportunity to report him for offensive behaviour when you review him - this will flag his profile with Airbnb to investigate.

@Rachel177  oh that's so good to know. thanks!

So am I correct that my review would show up on his profile where other hosts can see it, whereas waiting and posting a comment to his review would only seen by my potential guests?

Both would be ideal. In your experience would the site allow both a review & comment retort to show up?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa1680

Yes Lisa.....as you know, both host and guest have 14 days from the end of the stay to leave a review.

Here are a few points.

1/........As soon as both reviews have been received, they are published on each others pages simultaneously.

2/........If after 14 days one or the other has not left a review the person who has submitted a review will have their review published on the others page.

3/........So, if you do not review the guest that doesn't mean it's the end of the matter and nothing will be seen! The guests review will become visible on your page.

4/........After each review is published there is an opportunity over the next 40 days to post a public response which will appear directly below the guests review on your page.

5/.......If you do not post a review, nothing will appear on the guests page to warn other hosts and the guest will not have the opportunity to leave a public response because there is nothing to respond to.

Lisa it is always best to leave a review but make it short.....'Poor observance of house rules, lack of understanding of the Airbnb concept. I wish the guest well but would not choose to host again" That way the guest will not be able to getr your review renmoved because you haven't accussed him of anything specific. When the guests review comes think about it for a few days so that you can make a sensible rational response that will not make you look like a difficult host. Remember the review system says as much about you as it says about the guest. At all times be diplomatic and leave heated emotion out of it!

Cheers.....Rob

@Lisa1680 - yep, your review shows up on his profile whereas your comment on his review of you only appears on your profile. So no review of him means future hosts don't get an idea of his behaviour.

I wouldn't mess around with gas like that I wouldn't even bother with Airbnb since I've been getting the same kind of treatment you talk about as a host I would just call the police and they're out within a few minutes the police and the guest