When guests don't leave a review

Answered!
Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

When guests don't leave a review

When a guest doesn't leave a review, why does Airbnb post my review of that guest? 

If guests can get a review without bothering to post their own review of the host, what motivation is there for the guest to bother posting?  Why doesn't Airbnb send reminders to guests asking them to post a review?  I have had several guests who just never bothered to leave me a review, even though there were no problems and to my knowledge they had no issues or complaints?

Also, I recently had guests for their second stay with whom I have a good relationship.  They posted an excellent review, including specifically mentioning the linens were clean.  Yet Airbnb told me the guest said there was an issue with "cleanliness", specifically linens.  I contacted my guest, who was shocked to learn Airbnb had made such a false claim.  The guest sent me a screenshot of the glowing review they had left, including five stars.  Why would Airbnb treat a host in such a dishonest way?

1 Best Answer

I've been a regular user of AirBnB for years, and have recently also become a host, so I've seen it from both sides. 

As a host, yes of course I'm aware how absolutely crucial reviews are. I bend over backwards to provide a first class experience, and always remind guests as they leave to remember to review me.

However, as a guest - not so much.  Until I started hosting, I never really gave it much thought, and would review if I remembered (and on a couple of occasions was prevented from reviewing by the short window AirBnB allow for reviews to be submitted).

And I think there's a broader problem with reviewing.  Now that so much activity is conducted online, I'm constantly being nagged by Amazon and every other retailer to review their service or product.  On top of that, whenever I make contact with a call centre for a bank/utility company/ phone company etc, I inevitably get a robocall or text some time later asking me to complete a short survey about my experience. 

I understand that reviews are important, but after a point one just gets annoyed by them, and I guess AirBnB has suffered from people's 'review fatigue'.

One other point raised in this discussion - star ratings.  If I'm giving an accurate review, rather than just conducting a box ticking exercise, whether it's for AirBnB or some widgets I've just purchased, then I'm not going to automatically give everything the maximum rating.  Giving 3 out of 5 shouldn't mean that it was terrible, and certainly a B rather than an A doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with my experience.  It's AirBnB's badly designed system that penalises every review that's not 5 star, without explaining the implications to reveiwers. 

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

@Mary167 both the guest and AirBnB could have both been telling the 100% truth.

The guest may have been confused by the new guest review workflow.

I remember someone posting screenshots of what the guests see when they leave a review.

In addition to the star ratings of each area, there are little "tags" at the bottom that someone can activate.

The tags are supposed to be for "areas of concern", but if your guest was leaving you a stellar 5-star review, they may have put "5 stars for cleanliness" and then tagged the linens, thinking that was like saying "the linens were very clean".

The guest felt they were leaving a 5-star review, highlighting the clean linens.

AirBnB received a review that AirBnB interpreted to mean that the guest thought the linens were an area of concern.

I don't think the "areas of concern" affect your rating average. A 5-star review with tags is still a 5-star review.

Yes, although I have had Eighteen 5 star Reviews in a row, there have been some guests, although appearing to be most happy  with their stay, particularly as I spoil my guests taking them out in the car to local beauty spots because I like to show them places they would not otherwise see,  I have also had some with NO Reviews.  I have, therefore, accepted this and also have not always given them back a Review, so it works both ways.  I usually wait to hear they have given me a Review, anyway, and then respond, although not knowing in advance, of course, whether their Review is good or bad.

I know that Reviews are important for Hosts` businesses, but, I feel personally that it puts an unnecessary STRAIN on both Host and Guest and wish we didn`t have to give Reviews at all.  I prefer to try and sort out any problems which may occur whilst here between the guest and myself.  In this respect, I refunded one lady two weeks of her stay as she realised that she she needed to be nearer her place of work.  I didn`t have to do this, but, didn`t want the aggro of her being unhappy here.  She gave me a good 5 star Review, anyway, and I soon got another guest to replace her, so all ended well.

Yes, I have found that as a Retired lady living on her own, one must be completely flexible and patient in this job, otherwise, it doesn`t work.  But, the joy of meeting different cultures usually overrides any setbacks and my lovely single females have been known to cook for me the most delicious ethnic dishes in return for my hospitality.

Lastly, I have made two Videos for Airbnb;  one at my house, and so this added bonus spurs me on to have even more guests, God willing I keep good health.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary167

Hi Mary - it's annoying but a fact of life that some people just don;t bother - they have been away for a lovely weekend and get back to a busy week. AirBnB does send them reminders. I'd guess about 85% of guests leave a review - I wouldn't take it personally

As for the second point - hard to know how that happened - all that matters is you got five stars across the board

Not sure if they gave me 5 stars even though he did.  Do they even tell us how many stars a particular guest gives us?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mary167  Yes Mary, you will find what star ratings guests have given you by going to your Hosting Dashboard and in the green line at the top of the page click on 'Stats' .

On your stats page if you scroll down to your reviews, this screenshot shows you how they will be displayed.....

star ratings on stats.png

If the guest has given you a 5 star in each category that is all that will be displayed!

But if the guest marked you down in a category a box will appear where the guest can tell you what they felt you did wrong, as per this screenshot.....

Star rating 4.png

I was just a bit miffed about this one! I thought a specific numbered address would have been sufficient property identification....but, you know what they say. ...never judge what someone else thinks.

All the best Mary!

Cheers......Rob

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I totally agree. I had a guest book for 2 nights. He didn't stay the 2nd night because he found the tiny house to be too small for him and his male colleague. I refunded BOTH nights because I wanted to make sure I got a good review. He said that he would leave a good review but then never even bothered! I left him a good review that was posted on his account by airbnb. 

Reviews should only be posted when BOTH parties leave one. 

Well I have been a host for one year. I have had 5 persons who were very satisfied - as per their statements made to me when they left - but did not leave a review.

After the first two I decided to do what I do with my eBay coustomers.

I write a review after they have written one.

I look at it this way: No review is better than a negative review.

I do, however,  block these people so that they cannot book my place again.

Song

How did you block them?  I can't find that.  But I have also had at least two guests not leave a review, they were both very messy, broke house rules, so I'm sure they didn't review cause they knew my not so great review of them would not be published, than they could go screw another host....booo Airbnb.  I wish they'd fix that.  

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

I'd also like to find out how you can block a guest from booking in the future without having to give Airbnb a really good reason for doing so. I don't think 'not writing a review' would be a good enough reason. If anyone's done it, please let me know how and why.

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

That's interesting @Song6 . I might try blocking those guests who can't be bothered leaving a review ... I really like that idea ... plenty more fish in the sea. 

I disagree. We have only had two terrible guests, but they were really terrible and I wanted to warn other hosts about them.  So, my reviews were honest and reflected the problems I had with them.  Neither guest bother to write reviews.  If my review didn't get posted, then no one would ever know how horrible they were.

Warren58
Level 1
Havelock North, New Zealand

If reviews were only posted when both host and guest left a review , then a bad guest would never write a review knowing any review of them by a host would never be published 

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

For a start, I don't believe you should have felt obliged to refund even 1 night ... those dates could have been booked by someone who just loved your tiny house and that's why I make it clear on my listing that 'when contemplating booking my accommodation, eveything listed should be taken into consideration, amenities, location, etc to ensure they meet all your needs'.  Also, I so totally agree with "Reviews should only be posted when BOTH paries leave one". I think that would alleviate a lot of ill-feeling for hosts. I've found that you can go totally out of your way to accommodate some guests for example, early check-in, late check-in, late check-out, luggage drop off, etc and then they can't even be bothered saying thank you. It gets to you sometimes but basically that's just some guests and it speaks volumes about them. After a while you get to realise that these guests are few and far between some of the most lovely guests who appreciate everything you do for them. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Dixie7 I disagree, if reviews are only posted when both hosts and guests post one then the one that thinks might get a bad review will never post a review himself in order not to get a bad one and the whole system is irrelevant, there would be only positive reviews which is in no way useful for hosts or guests.