When hosts don't leave a review

Charlotte535
Level 2
Napier, New Zealand

When hosts don't leave a review

I am an airbnb superhost who also uses airbnb as a guest. At present we are touring France and have stayed in 15 different airbnb's. My attitude is to always write a review (as a host as well as being a guest) but I notice that not every host writes a review. I strikes me that those who don't write a review are the hosts we mentioned a problem to (no working internet, no one to let us in, accommodation which was not clean or incredibly noisy). Having been in hospitality since several decades, my approach is first to contact the host to discuss a problem. I will also point this problem out in my personal message to the host but will keep the general review good (if the host responded to the reported problem) as I find it unfair to give a bad review based on a one off event (which has been attend to during our stay). However, I now notice that the guests who don't write a review are the ones we contacted regarding a problem.  It makes me wonder if they deliberately don't write a review in order to avoid (a possible) negative review of their listing?

I also agree that it would be good to see a status as superguest established. Here in France, quite a lot of airbnb's do not allow direct bookings due to previous bad experiences. Perhaps this could be changed that a superguest can book directly?

Just a thought,

Charlotte 

26 Replies 26

@Charlotte535 I think your suspicion is valid. Airbnb has primed hosts to regard anything other than 5* as a total failure, so hosts would rather receive no review at all than a positive 4* review. If you've complained about a problem, hosts will not take any action that might encourage you to review them. 

Re: a Superguest scheme. I've seen this idea bounced around a few times here, and I just don't see the point. The "Superhost" concept is not a badge of excellence but rather a manipulation tool to keep hosts under control (think about it - actual awards are not things that you can lose after a few months of inactivity). If Airbnb wished to create a loyalty scheme to extend credits out of their own pocket to guests who complete x number of bookings with positive reviews and no damage claims, more power to them. But there's nothing really in it for hosts to offer special privileges or kickbacks based on how an algorithm assessed a guest's prior record.  

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

@Anonymous wrote:

@Charlotte535 I think your suspicion is valid. Airbnb has primed hosts to regard anything other than 5* as a total failure, so hosts would rather receive no review at all than a positive 4* review. If you've complained about a problem, hosts will not take any action that might encourage you to review them. 

I have to hold my hands up and admit this is exactly what I do. If I get an inkling that a guest was not 100% happy with everything then I generally do not review them in case it triggers them to feel obliged to leave me a review which might not be 5 stars.

Yes this is a bit selfish, especially if I have had a guest who I would not recommend & an honest review could be informative for future hosts but ultimately this is my business & livelihood so have to give that priority. It's a shame AirBNB have fostered this atmosphere over the review system but there we go.

@Niel3, I do this as well, I've stopped initiating reviews unless I'm sure it will be 5 star. But for those guests who deserve a thumbs down review, I wait until the 14th days to leave it.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I don't initiate reviews anymore (expect for guests who I do not want back) but I will always review a guest if they review me. The review will show up regardless so why not write one for the guest as well? Maybe some hosts just don't seem to care. 

I am with @Anonymous on the Superguest. I've had three guests now with over 25 reviews. Airbnb would call them Superguests but I would consider them nowhere close. 

Hi Emilia,

Am I wrong in assuming that a review left by a guest is not being shown on the hosts page if the host has not written a review? I was in the belief that reviews are only published when both parties have written one...

As to the super guests status: I only considered it as some form of guarantee that the guests who inquire at your listing have a very positive track record as guests and as such can be considered as more trustworthy to welcome. I would not expect that any host gives special privileges other than perhaps allowing superguests to book directly without having to go through the system of requesting to book and having to wait for a reply (which does not always come rapidly). Our way of travelling is to decide the previous day where we will be staying the next day, and that means direct booking is an advantage. 

Not sure what you mean with "airbnb would consider them superguests but you would consider them nowhere close".  In my eyes the status should not depend on the number of times one books an airbnb stay but rather on the review of how you have dealt with someone else's property...

@Charlotte535  Your belief is not correct; if only one party writes a review, it is published 14 days after the stay is complete.

I'd also have to point out, when hosts choose not to use Instant Book it is not just because they are holding out for guests with a "positive track record." Many are also wanting to make sure the guest has read the listing thoroughly, understands what they're getting, and that the property is suitable for their needs, before getting locked into a booking. While the Request process may feel inconvenient for guests who don't like to plan ahead, it's those very guests who are often the most difficult ones to host. By waiting until most listings are unavailable, they're less likely to get a place that is an ideal fit for their desires and budget,  and also less likely to be fully attentive when viewing the listings. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Charlotte535 

The review period last 14 days. Within that time both parties have a chance to leave a review. If one party neglects to do this, the review will be posted once the 14 day deadline is over. So a guest can leave a host a review and not get one in return but it will still post on the hosts profile. 

I've had guests stay who had over 25 5-star reviews. Yet when they booked and stayed with me, they did not communicate AT ALL or they did things like run the heat with the windows wide open, or use my white towels to remove their makeup when black washcloths are provided, or leave a sink full of dirty dishes. I'm not really fussy about these things but I just couldn't figure out why 20+ other hosts would give them 5 star reviews. So just because a guest is given 5 star reviews doesn't mean I will think they are trustworthy and respectful guests. You just never really know. 

HI Emilia,

Thanks for the clarification about the 14 day deadline. I was not aware of this but it seems a fair way of dealing with reviews. 

@Emilia42 That's also been my experience. People aren't necessarily honest when they review guests, and I also find that guests who have stayed many places may have higher expectations and also know how to game the system.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Charlotte535 

I had one guest, stack of ace reviews.

Guest arrived with a few friends - I presume it was usually the partner who was the regular sidekick who accompanied the guest whilst accruing good reviews.

Place was left like how a Hollywood set director would stage a comedy 'morning after the party night before' scene.

So what could go wrong with 'superguest' - plenty I can guess.

Airbnb has already painted itself into a corner with inviolable reviews and superhost accreditation, so would be ill-advised to launch another artificial award.

Hi Elena,

Point taken. I guess I am just too trusting of people...

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

@Charlotte535  We're Airbnb SH's and Guests also. And have stayed with fellow Super Hosts, made no complaints, met them just before we left, and they thanked us for leaving their place so clean and tidy and commented that they could see we were obviously in the hosting business. Yet, they never reviewed us as guests!!! 

We left them a 5 star review! They deserved it..... but so did we. I really don't get it. 

After over 200 people staying with us, I've possibly not reviewed 5 guests. 3 of which, had to cancel last minute or never showed up. 

We've also hosted  4 Airbnb SuperHosts.... 3 gave us 5 star reviews. The other didn't bother reviewing us at all. 

Hi Michelle and Michael,

I guess I have made the mistake that everyone always write a review. When discussing this with the host of the last airbnb we stayed at, she mentioned that perhaps it should be made compulsory to write a review on risk of losing your membership. Sounds a bit drastic and I don't think that airbnb would go that way as they want to see their community grow rather than shrink...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

All the non-reviewers out there I stay with get a dink on their communication score from me (I check if they are serial non-reviewers) and a mention of their laziness in my otherwise decent (if warranted) review.