When is the right time to check on your guests?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

When is the right time to check on your guests?

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 09.34.03.png

Hi everyone, 

I logged in a bit earlier today because I wanted to post a new topic - before I head out for a third vaccination dose - only to see that @Laura2592 asked a very similar question a few hours ago. You can't stop great minds thinking alike, I guess... 🤷🏻‍😁

We all have different styles and approaches when it comes to communicating with our guests. Some send a message right after check-in to see if everything is ok. Others prefer a "don't poke the bear" approach, leaving it up to guests to communicate if they need anything.

Some of us even add this in our House Rules, especially if we’re not open to a late check out or have other specific ways of managing listings.

There is no right or wrong way of doing this as different things work for different people, and in most cases, it will depend on the guest and the booking length, but generally, we can all learn a few tips from one another and share stories when our approach has been on the money… or not.

When do you think is the right time to contact your guests after they've checked in? 

I am looking forward to reading your replies. 

Thank you 

Nick

34 Replies 34
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Nick, I used to always personally greet my guests. As I give them a tour of the property, I always tell them that they can always reach out to me via the messaging system if they have any questions about something. I was also mentioning this in the listing description 🙂

How about you? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great approach @Quincy, I used to greet my guests when I was in Athens (and did so a few weeks ago). I found I had missed this interaction greatly. I had a couple from Israel arriving late at night, and after showing them the apartment, I went for a walk for a few blocks to show them a supermarket staying open until late. I also pinpointed a restaurant they could go to and were super satisfied with the whole process. As was I 🙂

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick@Quincy,

How I great guests upon arrival depends upon if I am at the same location.  If I am remote, I give them a virtual tour, and walkthrough of the appliances.  Then tell them to call the property manager for urgent matters, but they can still call me any time, if necessary.  I also direct them to send messages through Airbnb.  When I am on-site, I will do an in-person greeting and quick walkthrough.  Then I tell the guests that we are next-door, or down/upstairs.  I've learned that people short-term rental guests prefer not to be checked on like the constant affirmation seeking hotels.  So, unless I happen to see the guests while outside, I won't contact them again until the night before departure when I send them the goodbye thank message and checkout checklist.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good point about the hotels @Debra300, It does come down to each guest's personal preference for sure, and I can tell most of the time from how they respond to messages before they arrive. But the greeting in person gives me a better idea of how to move forward. I usually message them the next day, asking if everything is ok or need assistant, clarification with anything.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

When I plan a trip, these are important considerations for the just the space itself (not considering location):

1. Has to have a functioning and equipped kitchen/kitchenette with a cooktop and refrigerator.  Other small appliances are nice to have.  If there isn't a microwave, toaster, toaster over, kettle, Nespresso machine, etc., I can still get by since I travel with my own cooking pans & utensils and manual espresso maker (kind of like when out camping).
  2. Enough space so Keep Cool are not always in each other's immediate space; large living area, outdoor space, a bedroom, etc.
  3. If it's the norm for the destination, at least a queen size bed, and it has to be a proper mattress, not that cut-a-slice of foam junk.
  4. I need to see pictures of the bathroom.  It should have a place to store toiletries, not have the suicide hot water heaters connected to the shower, and have enough space to shut the door when sitting on the toilet.
  5. When we are winding down for the evening, we like to have screen time.  So internet bandwidth and a monitor/TV that can support this is important.
  6. It has to be a no smoking allowed space, and the furnishings must be clean enough that we feel comfortable using them (no sticky couches that are saturated with sunscreen/tanning oil).
  7. Windows with screens are necessary, because we prefer not to run the AC, and like for the mosquitos to stay outside.
  8. A bonus would be a clothes washer and drying apparatus (spin dryer, drying rack, clothes line, heat dryer).
Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Nick, I like to greet my guests face to face and give them a quick tour of the apartment and ensure that they can log into WIFI ok.  If they have any pressing questions they usually ask me then but I check on them the next day and then I leave them alone until near to their check-out date.  

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I also do the following day message and then let them be. I guess it must be working out for you too @Flavia202, at least for most of the bookings? 

Yes, it has worked for all my bookings so far, @Nick. That said, airbnb bookings have been slow for me but fortunately I've been getting other bookings.

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

@Nick    Hi.......I send a message the day before with some info about how to get here, as I've recently found out that google maps phone app has been taking people out of their way.  If I don't have some sports game of the Grands to attend I meet my guest when they arrive.  I say hello, point out specifics about the apt...Wifi, important phone numbers, light switches, and the all important..."the tv is already on the weather channel", and point out the direction to the main reason most visit this area.  Other than saying if you have an questions just ask, I don't usually see them after check in.  Sometimes I see them just as they're about to leave, then I have a chance to ask how they made out and thank them for staying with me.

Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

@Nick 

We live next door to our rental--whenever I see that someone has arrived I give them a half hour or so then just send a message saying "Looks like you found the cabin--let us know if you need anything at all! Enjoy your stay!"  Most respond back immediately.  Since a lot of our guests are for the weekend I don't contact them again until the night before check out with instructions, a gentle reminder of check out time, and a gracious thank you and invite to come again.

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

@Nick I have a welcome sign out front that puts guests at ease and happy they have arrived at the right place, i greet with a big smile then take them on guided tour of kitchen showing where everything is for breakfast then outdoor areas for barbecue pool etc. then show them to there room and explain how everything works, then ask if any questions and invariably asked local knowledge on best eating places, walking tracks, museum, art gallery, beaches etc, some are chatty whilst others are happy left to there own.  

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Nick I meet and greet my guests, give them the key to the cottage and say, just go down the side path and we meet them at the cottage. My husband passes me a breakfast hamper to me and introduces himself to them. I then show them through the cottage pointing out the information manual and safety requirements. We share a garden and they have their own private garden and we try to give the guest their privacy.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Nick . We do a personal check in that can vary depending on where they are from. This also varies if coming from somewhere they may have aphid a recent Covid outbreak.

I usually contact the booking guest by the afternoon of the second day to ensure they have all they need and if they have any questions or concerns. Of course this could be discussed in person if we see them, but having it done on the message board is what I’m after. If they say everything is great, then I have that in writing as well…. Sure things can go wrong, but it nips complainers in the bud by immediate intervention and actions ( also documented if needed).

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Communicating with guests is very important for me because it also means being able to evaluate them.
As soon as an IB comes in, I’ll send a “thank you” message and ask about their plans if there are no info about. Before booking the guest have received my pre-booking message where I mentioned that the profile photo should clearly show the face and to ask or advise if they will bring a pet. I don’t charge a pet fee but I want to know in advance if there will be a pet or two.
When I see the profile photo, the full name and the place of residence I’ll do some research in internet to get some more info about the guest.
Later on I’ll tell them that I’ll use the Airbnb email feature to send some info on the house and the place and the house rules which they have to sign as well as the Short Term Lease Agreement and the receipt of the amount they payed (mandatory in Italy for tourist rentals). Before arrival I also ask about the room accommodation: how many rooms are needed, how many double beds, single beds, cots etc.
Two days before the arrival the guest will receive a scheduled message with the directions to our house and the password of the WIFI.
I always greet the guests personally at arrival and do a tour of the house which takes me about 40 - 60 minutes. The house is big and old and has some weird features which I have to explain. I don’t live on site and I’ll spend an hour and a half to get there if there would be an issue. I also have to collect the ID of all the guests, including the children of any age, and send them to the local Questura (police headquarters) the same day of check-in (mandatory in Italy).
In case a booking request comes in I ask the guest some more questions, to complete the verification and to give me the full name and place of residence (so I can do some research in Internet). Up to now I only had one guest who didn’t comply and I didn’t accept this request.
During their stay I prefer to communicate via WhatsApp because it’s easy, quick and I can attach pictures, links and documents and see if the guest has read the message. If there is a longer stay maybe I’d ask to schedule the gardeners work. The evening before the garbage collection I send a reminder because it’s an important commitment.
At the end of the stay we agree about the check-out time and I’ll be present to see if anything in the house is ok and then we have to undersign the return of the keys.
Almost 100% of my guests are from other countries and only a few understand Italian. If they need to contact me for some info on a place or service I’ll be happy to do some research for them. It is also a way for me to learn more about the region where I rent but where I don’t live.