When is the right time to check on your guests?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

When is the right time to check on your guests?

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 09.34.03.png

Hi everyone, 

I logged in a bit earlier today because I wanted to post a new topic - before I head out for a third vaccination dose - only to see that @Laura2592 asked a very similar question a few hours ago. You can't stop great minds thinking alike, I guess... 🤷🏻‍😁

We all have different styles and approaches when it comes to communicating with our guests. Some send a message right after check-in to see if everything is ok. Others prefer a "don't poke the bear" approach, leaving it up to guests to communicate if they need anything.

Some of us even add this in our House Rules, especially if we’re not open to a late check out or have other specific ways of managing listings.

There is no right or wrong way of doing this as different things work for different people, and in most cases, it will depend on the guest and the booking length, but generally, we can all learn a few tips from one another and share stories when our approach has been on the money… or not.

When do you think is the right time to contact your guests after they've checked in? 

I am looking forward to reading your replies. 

Thank you 

Nick

34 Replies 34
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Angela1056, I'm impressed by how organised your process is. What type of internet research do you do, if you don't mind me asking? Is it Airbnb related (e.g. past reviews), or diving into social media profiles etc.?

Hi   @Nick ,the first research I do is of course on Airbnb reviews (for the guest and from the guest to the Host and also the star rating) but then I give the full name and place of residence in the google search bar and it is interesting and always surprises me how many results there are: from Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media and there are pictures, too. You can also find some public police report for USA citizen. When I found out such a police report about a guest i made a screenshot and sent it to Airbnb Support who cancelled the booking on my behalf

I'd like to do everything to prevent bad guests, better to be safe than sorry!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm impressed! @Angela1056 

@Angela1056 , like you I also do similar searches. Anything to help me be more aware of potential trouble helps. It's always a relief when there are no such red flags!

Pratish0
Level 2
Kannur, India

As a guest, I feel very comfortable and welcome if the host is around when I check in. You feel nice about it and instantly feel comfortable spending your time there. So, as a host I do the same as I live in the house along with the guests; unless they rent out the full villa. In such cases, I am available while they arrive and show them around and then leave. In case I am out of station, I let them know in advance so that they can then decide to book or not. But I always have the housekeeper / his wife around for any help.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Pratish0, totally agree to your point, I too feel better when the guest is there when checking in. This hasn't been the case for quite some time due to Covid, but I appreciate the Host being there to greet and give me a quick tour under normal circumstances.

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

Guests can check in with us themselves. In The Shepherd's cabin everything is self explanatory. But I like to have a chat when the guests arrive. Did they find their way? Small talk to get to know the guest. Trying to find out ... Do they want attention during their stay or do they want their privacy. Guests are allowed to use the vegetable garden and if they want we can show them around. We notice that there is quite a difference between the guests, so meeting on arrival is quite important. If we are unable to personally welcome guests, we always send a message the next morning asking if everything is ok and if they slept well. This often leads to interaction. We always have a chat when the guests leave. For the rest it is when we encounter them and secretly we try to initiate that as well.

Groetjes Katja
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a treat it must be for guests to be able to use the vegetable garden @Katja202. Do you find many guests like to spend time taking care of it/asking questions about it, or do they only consume?

I keep in touch with guests from the time of booking until I reach a level of friendship with the guest, and I make sure he has all the details about the flat and the neighborhood before checking in, ensuring a positive review regardless of the experience. I will do my best to check in him personally, During the stay, I keep checking on him and sending tips frequently, simply trying to assist the guest on a personal level, ensuring a 5 star review, and a return guest. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Glad to see this methods has being giving you some great results @Bassem5 😃

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

I’m pretty new at hosting, but so far, I have mostly gotten vibes that our guests want to be left alone. Perhaps that is why they booked our place that begins “Private…”  I aim for communicating needed information ahead by messaging, leaving well-placed notes in the home, and assuring the guests of my availability. Otherwise, I am assuming that no news is good news. I will know soon if my approach is working for my guests. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I can see why this is the vibe when "Private" is the first word of the listing's description 😃😃 wouldn't expect otherwise myself @Linda3345 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Here is my schedule

• as soon as they book: “thank you for booking Ill be in touch”
  • three days before: all the details . That email says "attention is needed" and "please respond"
  • the day before: another message if they never responded. Ask if they are ok with me showing them around if they have responded
  • day off: phone call if they still have not responded; coordinate anything last minute if they have
  • day after check in: automated message making sure they had a good night and if they need anything
  • day of check out: message asking if they have any feedback for me
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

excellent! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 @Inna22 

@Nick 

Since our listing is a private room and we greet all guests in person, communication with guests was always important for us - we probably communicate more than the average. Plus, there is a the fact that many of our guests were young exchange students, first time coming to Asia, traveling alone with 4~5 months of luggage, so we always prefer to over-communicate 🙂 Starting from a few days before check in, we remind guests to send us a message when they arrive in Korea, at Incheon Int' Airport, and reiterate key points about transportation from the airport to our home. We make a point of being available to help the guest get settled, often give them a quick tour of our neighborhood to point out where to get groceries/take out, and also show them the short-cut to the subway station. A few days after orientation or after school starts (which is usually about 1 week after check in), we will ease back and let the guest take the lead on how much or how little interaction we have.