When to get a new mattress

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

When to get a new mattress

I discovered a very minor stain on my mattress.  Should I get a new one?  This is not a horror story guest ruined mattress post.  My questions is will other guests notice and percieve the mattress as dirty?  Since I have mostly long term guests who do their own laundry during their stay, will they be upset by a minor stain?

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Susan10 Get a waterproof mattress cover. It will cover the stain and prevent future stains. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I am not a picky person. I have stains on my mattress, but I think a mattress pad is an acceptable solution.

Kind of depends who you cater to.

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

Yea, (slap forehead) I will definately buy a waterproof pad.  I also realized that I can flip the mattress over for now.  Thanks for responding Paul and Cynthia.  

Francesca62
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Same thing happened to me, just discovered a huge stain, and I have no idea which guest apparently wet the bed, even though I use a mattress cover. The house cleaners change the linens so I didn't discover it right away. Unfortunately I can't flip the bed, so I am trying an enzymatic pet urine remover, and will use a waterproof cover in the future. It was a VERY expensive mattress and kills me, but these are the risks we take along with the rewards, I guess! 

Francesca62
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I forgot to answer your question - yes, just flip it and use a cover. I also forgot to mention that I just replaced a mattress that was cheap to begin with (Mattress Factory) when the springs on the box spring broke and it was really loud when moving around. I sleep a couple of nights on it, and decided that I didn't want to put my guests through a super squeaky mattress (and risk bad reviews) as well maintain the quality calibre of my listing. Hope that helps,