Where are guest names on iCal calendar?

Bonita5
Level 5
Victoria, Canada

Where are guest names on iCal calendar?

I have my Airbnb calendar synced with my iCal calendar so I can see all bookings at once.  It was awesome.

It showed the names of guests for my 3 apartments. My husband helps me and he could always see what guest was coming by their name on iCal calendar. Also my cleaners could see what guest I was talking about by their names on iCal.  Now only the Airbnb reservation number shows up , names are gone... this is really unhelpful for me, for my helper and for my cleaners.

PLEASE PUT IT BACK TO SHOWING GUESTS NAMES !!!!

99 Replies 99

Yes. If you're using a third party code or platforms to set codes for a lock, that's not on Airbnb or their main concern. Security updates happen all the time for various platforms. When I saw the ical data orginally and used it to set codes on my home automation platform, I knew it was a security issue. Any coder can write a script to look through every single ical on their platform to get names and phone numbers. Sure it's a poor roll-out strategy, but that's what happens in technology all the time. The android pie update to samsung galaxy phones was and still is a nightmare.

Remember - guests have been locked out of their accommodations in the middle of the night because of this. Airbnb has cultivated an ecosystem based on iCal syncing. How can you possibly say that Airbnb bears no responsibility for this? It is on Airbnb because they have for years now provided information that they know is used downstream and then took it away without notifying anyone. And it has affected hosts and guests alike. There is no reasonable explanation for this approach if it is in fact deliberate on Airbnb's part. 

Next - let's look at the actual security implications here. It is not possible to simply 'scrape all the iCal files from Airbnb' because each iCal file has a token associated with it - without the token, you cannot get the iCal. There are issues with this - for example, you cannot reset the token, so once you give out the iCal to someone else, they can pull the iCal forever. Some PMS platforms like AirGMS  allow you to reset the token and invalidate previous iCal links - Airbnb should offer this functionality. Perhaps the token generation mechanism was compromised and this became a zero-day exploit. But, if so, Airbnb should have been all over the communications on this one. So, while it is not the most secure mechanism, it is also not the most insecure mechanism and the threat is not nearly as big as you indicate.

Raising this as a security issue is perfectly valid and, if Airbnb has decided to pull this information, then it is their responsibility to ensure an orderly transition to a more secure solution by openly communicating with the community the reasons for doing this, the timeline for doing this, and the alternative mechanism they are providing to ensure downstream dependencies are not broken.

But putting all that aside - Airbnb has been pushing a move to a more professional platform for a while. So, while moving reservation data to a more secure interface, they are now stiffing the exact type of users they are trying to grow - sophisticated, multi-listing users that use technology to ensure the best guest experience. And these types of issues create openings for HomeAway & Booking to exploit from a competitive standpoint. So strategically this approach makes no sense, so my money is still on 'this is a bug'.

i disagree with you with the scraping aspect, but that's a moot debate. 

if you're using airbnb's partners for locks and code setting, i still think it's on the 3rd party dev. the 3rd party shouldn't be using an ical to code off of. they should be using airbnb's dev api which airbnb controls who has access to the api and how often they can ping it. it also provides more functionality and data points to access.

if you're using custom/open source code like my code on a different platform which scraps the calendar, then it's on us. if airbnb would have given out more api tokens, i would have coded it using the api instead of the calendar.

in any case,  airbnb won't be able to help you immediately. if you're paying for a service through 3rd party software, then contact the 3rd party to fix it.  i'm revamping my code and platform since i don't think the airbnb calendar approach is reliable now.

Based on what i recall, Airbnb never setup a token or auth for obtaining the .ics. You could brute force it to sift through *.ics?s=<UUID>. iIcould be wrong, but you should be able to take your link and go to any computer browser and download the .ics. If that's the case, it was never secure.

The <UUID> is the "token".  Yes, it's privacy through obscurity.

Alejandro110
Level 2
Ronda, Spain

Same issue here 😞 

Dave340
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Having the same issue here. 

Jocie1
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Yes, HELP! I use a SmartApp to control my keyless entry and it is no longer registering guests names and phone numbers.

Can you please provide an update on when this might be resolved or a fix we can use?

Thanks!
Jocie

Brilliant - they "are researching to see if it was intentional" - who cares whether it was intentional or unintentional. Also called today. After a difficult time explaining the issue (was it me or was it the "customer service" rep who couldn't understand - he sent me a link to sync the calendar as a fix) I am now waiting for a call back as he researches. Perhaps I should direct him here.

Is it me or have any of you noticed the dramatic decline in the quality of the CS reps. It used to be one of ABB's strong suits and now it is dreadful. Obviously, they have done a lot of offshoring and it is not working.

Ha! When I messaged them with a robust explanation, to include a cut and paste of the iCal file, the CS's response was "So you're having troubles syncing your calendar?" 

I said "no", re-explained the issue, at which point he replied "We always welcome feedback from experienced hosts on ways to make the platform better.  Please use the feedback link."

And then he closed the ticket and didn't allow me to reply.

Linda50
Level 1
Boulder, CO

Same issue.  This has been driving me crazy since yesterday.  I have tried everything.  Deleting ical link, putting it back in.  Had multiple conversations with rep which went nowhere other than him assuring me it is not an airbnb issue.  Second rep was seriously terrible.  I am still in a conversation with first rep and have now sent a screenshot from Community to show that others are having the same issue.

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

I understand that AirBnB is going IPO soon in the next few weeks. Doesn’t look good if hundreds of hosts are complaining about how their platform and support team are causing thousands of guests to be locked out of the rooms due to a bug in their system. Hopefully some senior exec will look into it and have it fixed ASAP.

I thought AirBnB wanted to make things easier for hosts by enabling Automations and a better guest experience. This certainly isn’t adding to that experience. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Bonita5 @Jeff432 @Naomi-And-JJ0 @Madhura0 @Kris-and-Cristina0 and everyone else I can't tag who has this issue - Airbnb changed their iCal formatting, which has caused the problem!

I discovered this on another post about TurnoverBnB.  My last three bookings hadn't synced to my cleaner's calendar.  TurnoverBnB is working on it now.  But I don't know how we can work on it, except to delete any synced calendars and re-enter?

The other post was https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/cleaning-schedule-calendar/m-p/117770#M5111, and the answer is on the last page.

We know they changed the format - the question is whether it is a bug that will be reverted/fixed or a policy change.

Darren98
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Having this problem too and it is making my locks not sync properly. Very frusturating!!!