Where are the thumbs down??

Tidarat0
Level 2
Cha-am, TH

Where are the thumbs down??

"This guest is recommended by 2 hosts".

Oh yeah???

What if he has not been recommended by 10 other hosts?

Where are the thumbs down?

This kind of angelism is fallacious and leads to terrible deceptions, I am afraid.

Have you got the same feeling?

Please let me know.

11 Replies 11
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Tidarat0

If a guest isnt recommended by a number of hosts, you will notice it through their reviews, wont you?

I dont care much about thumbs up. I could put thumbs up for a guest who wasnt communicative enough, but I will reflect the lack of communication on their review.

Ariane7
Level 6
Paris, FR

I find it very strange and troublesome that hosts can't see what a traveller has said about his previous hosts. It's all very well being able to see what other hosts said about the traveller and whether they are reccommended but since you can't see or know what the traveller said before both parties have given their review, it is a very biased system. I recently had the experience of having a traveller stay, at the end of his stay he told me he thought the villa was brilliant and the view fantastic. He left me feeback so I immediately left him glowing feedback, but to my horror his feedback to me was terrible, he lied throughout and even had the cheek to say there was no view. So even though I gave him the thumbs up for 'reccommendation' I certainly would not reccommend him now. I think we (as hosts) should be able to see what a traveller says about other hosts. It might prepare us a little better about travellers that are NOT what they seem...

Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

You should review based on what you actually see and feel, not what the guest says to you.

@Ariane7 I click on the host’s name and check to see what a potential guest  left as a review, before I approve a booking. This is time consuming, but necessary. Sometimes you have to scroll way down to see the review you are looking for!  We should have this info as hosts easily available. And I thought that was one of the changes Airbnb was making. Maybe it is upcoming?

Rebecca, as you say very, very time consuming. I've just tried it.

We can see a travellers 'reviews from other hosts', we can see 'reviews from 'his' guests', but we can't see reviews he has left as a guest for other hosts, without doing our own detective work.
But still this does not give a true idea of the guest because you might not have had an issue with the guest until after you have left your review only to find out that he has left a ghastly review full of lies. As in my case I recommended him and said he was welcome back. Once I saw what he wrote there is no way I would recommend him to other hosts, he is a lier and could ruin another host's reputation and even get a host's account suspended (I am on the verge of suspension). Sometimes a guest's bad review is not really about the place it's more about the fact that the guest took a disliking to the host and wants to get back at them for some strange reason...

@Ariane7 you can respond to their review, and it will appear just below their review of you.  Short of an overhaul of the system, this is about all you can do. Sorry that this happened to you.

@Ariane7 @Rebecca160

there is a much faster way to see what the guest has written about the hosts they have stayed with.

If you use either Chrome or Firefox as you web browser, there is a plug-in/extension that will automatically display the reviews a guest has written directly below the hosts' review of that guest. The plug-in is called "AirReview".

This is the Firefox version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/airreview/

This it the Chrome version: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/airreview/plkdnpjpnhhnmigmekaocdfokkmebdnm?hl=en-US

I don't use Chrome or Firefox for day-to-day browsing, but I launch them just to use AirReview on every guest profile.

@Matthew285Thank you ! This is handy. I just tried it and it pulled up a guet's review of a host, but not the start ratings.  😞  We can always hope that the good write up equates to 5 stars, but I know from my own experiences, that this is not always true.

Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

If a guest has 10 reviews but recommended only by 2 hosts it means 8 hosts didn't recommend him/her, simple maths isn't it?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am a little uncertain about this, as the thumbs up or down is a recent invention. What if you have been travelling before this began? Those trips would not have earnt any thumbs ups, surely?

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Tidarat0@Ariane7@Elizabeth429

There is an Extension on Chrome ... AirReview which will look at Reviews left by Guests

Chrome extension: AirReview